To baritone, or not to baritone?

• Thread starter Efekkt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna fly in the face of popular opinion & say shorter scale length is my choice, but it really depends what you're wanting to do. If you're looking for the popular sound at the moment, ie ultra-clear, Meshuggah-esque, low string Djent, then yeah, the Baritone is the right instrument. However I've got to say in a band situation where you're looking for instruments that really sound like guitar in that nice, thrash, mid-aggression way, I'd say sticking with the shorter scale length is probably better.

Piledriver

Reaction score
im thinking whether going baritone but the thing is that in many 24.75 scale really annoys me,it feels just strange. but as i have huge banana hands i think ill get along with a baritone for a more Djenty kind of a thing and a shorter scale for the more thrashy stuff.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Definately consider the sound. My 27" sounds clearer in the bass end, but there's not as much richness to it. If you are looking for a more aggressive sound then certainly in A standard/B standard then I'd be sticking with 25.5" as it works better in my opinion.

The longer scale also seems to thin the midrange out if that makes sense, and string feel is vastly different as well, it's not just the distance between the frets being longer. It just feels a bit "looser" if that makes sense, and upping the gauge then makes it too tight compared to other guitars. It's bizarre and I have never quite got used to it.

So definately take sound into consideration when thinking about it, it is cleaner sounding, more defined, but less aggressive and less growl if that makes sense.

MrRedRaider

Reaction score
Less aggressive would not be the term that popped into my head when I got my Septor 727, trees. When the strings have that extra length, the chords seem to ring out clearer, even at higher gain. Sounds much more punchy and powerful if you ask me. Djenty also.. my God, doing really fast palm mutes comes out super evil sounding. Also, I am with the others here in saying the clean tones have much more depth to them. Amazing so far, I love this 27" stuff, and I dont have big hands either. The extra room for soloing is so worth it!

')