To buy baritone or not buy baritone 7's? That is my question.

UrsulaViveros

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new guitar and I've narrowed it down to either the ESP LTD SC607B (baritone 27'' scale) or ESP LTD SC-207 (standard 25.5'' scale)... Here is a link to the ESP Stephen Carpenter series if you need to check specs The ESP Guitar Company | 2011 USA Website

I mostly play metal so I use multiple different down tunings (hence why I figured a baritone may be a good choice). I do currently own a 25.5'' scale Washburn 7 string that I got years ago so I am familiar with playing 7 strings however since I'm a girl i don't have HUGE guy hands.. I have medium sized female hands.

So here are my main questions:
- Will it be significantly harder to play a baritone because of the extended neck? how much differently is the fret spacing on a baritone vs standard?
- Why did some of you choose to play or not play a baritone?
- What personal reviews/experiences can you tell me about either guitar?
- What additional helpful information or advice do you have?

Thank you! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringsofdestruction

Reaction score
For me i didnt notice much difference between my schecter 7 (26.5) vs my ibby s320 (25.5) in the sense of finger stretch. But will never play a standard scale 7 again cuz i sure do love the extra tension and playing with lighter strings. As far as the ltds i personally dont care for them cuz i hate the placement of that middle pickup and lack of neck pick up but other than that its a good guitar for the money

Reion

ADVENTURE TIME
Reaction score
I've seen enough people with small hands play basses and guitars with scales longer than 27, that I'd say go for the 607B. It's higher quality and it's a great instrument that I'm sure you'll be happy with.

Unless you like to play really huuuge chords around the first to sixth fret area, that could become very stretchy i guess.

Are there no instrument shops around you with some 27" guitars? Try some if you can, get a feel for how they sit with your hands.

Personally I'd pull the trigger on the 607B though. Good luck

Dayn

Reaction score
It will not be significantly harder at all. You will notice the difference in fret spacing for sure, but will be of little consequence, though you may need to stretch more than usual for chords low on the neck with wide spacings, say frets 2-6. The difference is definitely noticeable, but not bad or extremely pronounced. You won't have a problem unless you do a looot of extreme chord stretches where the tiniest bit extra matters.

I did not choose a 27" length, as that's all my guitar came in, but if at all possible, I won't choose any smaller than 27" now. I'm too used to it and the wider fret spacing is brilliant for the higher frets. I also think it sounds a lot better at lower tunings than 25.5".

I can't comment specifically on quality of those instruments, but I'd go for the 27" on that point alone.

VILARIKA

Reaction score
Shouldn't this go in the 7-String thread?

Anyways, I own a LTD 607B and I chose to get the baritone because it was something that I wanted to try out. I'm glad I took the risk because it's an amazing guitar and the added length helps with down tuning, even though I don't tune down much. It's noticeably harder to play, but a couple hours of messing around with it and you won't even notice the difference. btw I have small hands, but I can handle this guitar fine.

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new guitar and I've narrowed it down to either the ESP LTD SC607B (baritone 27'' scale) or ESP LTD SC-207 (standard 25.5'' scale)... Here is a link to the ESP Stephen Carpenter series if you need to check specs The ESP Guitar Company | 2011 USA Website

I mostly play metal so I use multiple different down tunings (hence why I figured a baritone may be a good choice). I do currently own a 25.5'' scale Washburn 7 string that I got years ago so I am familiar with playing 7 strings however since I'm a girl i don't have HUGE guy hands.. I have medium sized female hands.

So here are my main questions:
- Will it be significantly harder to play a baritone because of the extended neck? how much differently is the fret spacing on a baritone vs standard?
- Why did some of you choose to play or not play a baritone?
- What personal reviews/experiences can you tell me about either guitar?
- What additional helpful information or advice do you have?

Thank you! :hbang:

Neither of those. I'd say go with the baritone model but it has a pickup placed in a really strange place IMHO. You owe it to yourself to try to find an Ibanez RGD2127Z with the 26.5 scale length and play it before you buy anything. Trust me it will play much nicer than those ESP's.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Trust me it will play much nicer than those ESP's.

Out of curiosity, have you played the ESPs?

Now, on topic, the easiest way to think about the difference in fret spacing on a baritone is to think about a standard scale with 2 extra frets. So, the 1st fret on your standard scale will be like the 3rd fret on a baritone. So, basically, anything you can play at the first fret on a standard scale will be playable up to the 3rd fret on a baritone. Anything you'd be able to stretch to beyond that will be applicable to the 1st and 2nd fret on a baritone.

I hope that makes sense.

Long story short, baritone scale isn't very noticeable unless you're doing super long stretches.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Now, on topic, the easiest way to think about the difference in fret spacing on a baritone is to think about a standard scale with 2 extra frets. So, the 1st fret on your standard scale will be like the 3rd fret on a baritone. So, basically, anything you can play at the first fret on a standard scale will be playable up to the 3rd fret on a baritone. Anything you'd be able to stretch to beyond that will be applicable to the 1st and 2nd fret on a baritone.

Yup, that's good advice. Except 27" is ONE fret longer than 25.5", not two. So everything will feel one fret lower.

UrsulaViveros

Reaction score
Are there no instrument shops around you with some 27" guitars? Try some if you can, get a feel for how they sit with your hands.

Nope.. Ive checked pretty much every store in all the surrounding areas where I live and also in PA (im going on vaca tomorrow) and no one seems to have any in stock. Im going to talk to some of the guys at Guitar Center because I know there is a 30 day guarantee. Figured I would ask if a SC607B can be ordered so I can try it and if not return it for another guitar. So we will see what they say. Ive always been a fan of the few ESPs I have fiddled with and have read alot of great reviews on both guitars (plus im a big Deftones and Lacuna Coil fan and they both use the SC series) so I really wanna try them out. It def looks like the only way I will know is trying one out and seeing for myself how it fits.

Thank you everyone for all the help.. Like I said ive never found/used a baritone before so this is all a little new as far as learning about the differences and details that set them apart :)

UrsulaViveros

Reaction score
Shouldn't this go in the 7-String thread?

Yeah, I wasnt sure If it should go in there since obviously they are 7 strings or Extended since one is baritone and under Extended it said "Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here." ... I dont mind if it gets moved over or stays here (still getting used to the setup on here Im not on many forum sites)

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Nope you were right, this is the place to talk about baritones

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I'd get the 607B hands down just for the fact the build quality is going to be a lot better and much better hardware/pickups... At least look at models remotely the same spec wise, you could even grab one of the new EC-407's and then you'd have a neck pickup.

knuckle_head

Reaction score
How far down do you downtune?

The magic cut off for strings is around .056 - this is where you go from a single wrap to two and it does change the tonality coming off of the strings. Two wraps isn't awful, but it is indeed different from a single wrap.

As suggested, there are bassists with small hands that do wonderfully on 30.5", 33.5", 34" and beyond. If you downtune more than a whole step you should not dismiss even a 28.5" scale length. First fret is only .020" longer and while it would be an adjustment in technique, is not beyond you - especially if the strap button location pushes the extra length both toward the headstock and toward the bridge. That way you are not reaching outward with your fretting hand as much.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Baritone is a pitch range, not a scale length.

I personally like the feel of long scales a lot, and I play in standard. Might be due to being a bassist though. The feel of 9s in standard on a 27-28" scale is just awesome and bends so very nicely.

flo

Reaction score
I'd say for everything below B the baritone scale becomes useful.

Note however that it also tightens up your treble strings, and some don't like the sound you get on the high strings from a baritone scale length. They loose some of their richness and warmth, and become more cutting.

Don't worry too much about the size, I've got quite small hands, too, and it takes a bit of getting used to, but then handling the longer scale is no problem.

Do you play primarily rhythm or lead?

UrsulaViveros

Reaction score
How far down do you downtune?

I use a few different tunings other than standard like drop c, d, b, f, etc.
Im basically just want an all around guitar that will sound good with most drop tuning.. usually when i downtune to f thats when it sounds all gross and sloppy. I dont use F alot but thats part of why im considering baritone because they seem to do better with drop tuning. I mostly play rythem and the guys who I normally jam with cover alot of Deftones, Lacuna Coil, Korn, etc but I kinda dabble in other styles. for the most part though its metal rythem stuff.

just trying to do as much research about anything and everything about baritones (especially this model which i have been in love with for forever) so I can make the best buying choice possible.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
i fell in love instantly when i played an extended scale, i could have 10-64 set in drop G with normal tension, no huge strings so bends are actually easy

knuckle_head

Reaction score
Having a whole step more scale length will give you gauge familiarity and playability - it will be an adjustment but only a slight one.

If you intend to go to the F at least occasionally, the longer the better. Same with G.

I am at 28.75" on my 6 string and I tune to A - it's just barely there for me, but I like pretty high tension. On 25.5 I like 11s.

I had a Fender Bajo Sexto that was the absolute schiznit - 30.5" scale Tele and I got a solid E off of her. I should seriously have kept that guitar . . . .

UrsulaViveros

Reaction score
Having a whole step more scale length will give you gauge familiarity and playability - it will be an adjustment but only a slight one.

If you intend to go to the F at least occasionally, the longer the better. Same with G.

Yeah, I dont use F a whole lot, maybe a song or two right now, but damn would it be nice if I could play it without having my strings go all silly and floppy sounding.. im just gettin' by on my ol' washburn.

I figure I wont know until I just get that 607B in my hands but I figure if its workin' out good for Steph C and the guys in Lacuna Coil etc then it should be more than enough for me... my old 7 I got now is a cheap $200 piece 'o poo (was workin on a part time HotTopic salary way back then) so at this rate im sure ANYTHING will sound better hahaha.

Is there any specific strings you suggest? I've been usin' D'Addario EXL110 Nickel Light which are pretty nice but im always looking to learn/try new stuff to see what I like.