To buy or not to buy a sevenstring

• Thread starter Korg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korg

is not a name
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not quite sure if I should buy a sevenstring or not for a couple of reasons, and I hope some of you will be able to give me some input.. :)

I'm soon going to what you could describe as a "music boarding school" for a year, where I'll of course be playing a lot of guitar. Currently I have two sixstringed guitars, a LTD V-500 and a Jackson WRMG, and I think they're both quite good guitars. At the moment my Jackson is in standard, and it has floyd rose so I usually let it stay there, but it's quite practical to have a guitar in standard for various reasons, such as when I play with my guitar teacher. The LTD currently has some thick strings on it and tuned down to standard B because I'm in a new band and we're soon recording a demo so all my time with the LTD goes to practicing that.

To the boarding school I'm only able to bring one guitar, however they have some gibsons/fenders that you can borrow for playing in E standard/drop D, but the thing is I'm not quite sure if I should buy a sevenstring, first of all because it would suit my band better (it's my first serious band), I also like downtuned guitars of course, and if I continue playing such low tunings I'd probably definitely do it. The thing is just I'm not sure if I'd rather buy another sixstring and play around with that with tunings like drop c, if maybe suddenly the band falls apart (not too likely though, but you never know..) and then I'll have that, because atm I don't know what to find best, as I guess it'll take time to get used to, even though I was a "trainee" in a guitarshop for a week, and tried a lot of sevenstrings, and fell for the LTD MH-417 (they had some other ibanez, but I found the LTD better, they had no schecter/jackson).

Sorry for the rant but I really hope someone can give me some input about choosing a sevenstring or maybe wait a bit for a(nother) sixstring (maybe something like an ESP Eclipse) :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Now the recommendations, can't give you any. Sounds like you have made up your mind, otherwise why would you come to the 7 string forum, to ask if you should get a 7? Sounds like the answer should be pretty obvious. No one can effectively tell you what guitar to buy, far too personal an issue, each player likes something different.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I actually agree with ^. Only you know what's best for you. That being said, your on a sevenstring specific website, obviously most of us here understand the benefits of an extended range guitar.

CryptopsyAndWhatnot

Reaction score
Get the 7. You can do anything you would normally do on a standard tuned six but so much more. You can tune lower without all the hassle and it sounds tighter on a 7. I say go for a schecter, I love mine

Korg

is not a name
Reaction score
Right, but the thing is just I’m wondering if any of you ever tried when you first bought a seven that you’d rather have bought a six because if you decide you prefer drop C or something? Also I’m a bit worried about the fact that my hands aren’t huge.. :D also, then comes the question of which one to choose because it seems like a decent one here where I live (Denmark) costs over a thousand dollars. The one I originally fell for, the MH-417, they don’t have in the shop close to me anymore for some reason, not even on their website, but they can probably order it.

There is also the possibility to order it from a German webstore, where I can save a bit, but I'd try it and then buy it that would definitely be best for me. In the shop near me, they have a Viper 407 in the shop, can someone tell me how close the viper sounds to the mh, because I tried a viper-500 and then a v-500 and they sounded quite different due to the tree-mass??

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Right, but the thing is just I’m wondering if any of you ever tried when you first bought a seven that you’d rather have bought a six because if you decide you prefer drop C or something? Also I’m a bit worried about the fact that my hands aren’t huge.. :D also, then comes the question of which one to choose because it seems like a decent one here where I live (Denmark) costs over a thousand dollars. The one I originally fell for, the MH-417, they don’t have in the shop close to me anymore for some reason, not even on their website, but they can probably order it.

There is also the possibility to order it from a German webstore, where I can save a bit, but I'd try it and then buy it that would definitely be best for me. In the shop near me, they have a Viper 407 in the shop, can someone tell me how close the viper sounds to the mh, because I tried a viper-500 and then a v-500 and they sounded quite different due to the tree-mass??

I currently don't have a seven (that's in playable shape) but I do have a baritone coming in. I think I'll actually prefer the baritone for lower tuning as I have a hard time playing a seven for any serious duration. That however is something you won't know until you get some good time in on one. They can be a lot of fun and while I disagree that you can do everything on a seven that you can on a six (at least for style other than metal) its definitely worth trying one out for a few weeks. Pick up a good, cheap used Ibby that you can resell for what you put into it if you decide later you don't like it.

Korg

is not a name
Reaction score
I currently don't have a seven (that's in playable shape) but I do have a baritone coming in. I think I'll actually prefer the baritone for lower tuning as I have a hard time playing a seven for any serious duration. That however is something you won't know until you get some good time in on one. They can be a lot of fun and while I disagree that you can do everything on a seven that you can on a six (at least for style other than metal) its definitely worth trying one out for a few weeks. Pick up a good, cheap used Ibby that you can resell for what you put into it if you decide later you don't like it.
It would be nice to buy a used, but then again, there's not so many on the market in Denmark, and there aren't many who ship too far away on ebay

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I do not currently own a seven. I have bought them in the past, sold them, back and fourth. I currently tune to drop B. I have been toying with the idea (again) to get another seven, tune it to drop A. I can then pretty much play everything on it, and get a decent low side. Problem with me is, I don't give them a fair shot. Own them for a couple of months, then move on...

mountainjam

Reaction score

since I purchased my first seven, I haven't looked back. I played a 6 string for 14 years, but currently have no intention of ever playing one again. I literally haven't touched it in over a year. A seven just makes more sense, reguardless what style you play. The way I see it is, there are probably 100 millions songs that have been written on sixers, only a fraction of that on sevens. Also, ibanez wizard 7 necks are nice and slim im you have smaller hands.

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
I have quite small hands too and it doesn't affect my playing that much. Well I bought my seven string a year ago and it feels weird to come back to a 6's haha. If you're a little guy I guess it's more a scale issue.

Buying a 7's is a great idea if you want to play some downtuned stuff. But imo it doesn't make sense if you tune it in standard, so just buy a seven and tune it in drop A (yes I'm trying to cast you :p).

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
If you can only have ONE guitar, it's of course a 7, in your situation. Check out Agile at rondo music.

There was a guy talking about EBMM JP 7's which reminded me that they're cheap 2nd hand now. The ESP/LTD have thicker necks than Ibanez... The Agile have that kind of profile, I believe.

I've got a load of 7's and 6's and find that tuning a 6 to B with heavy strings is good, baritone guitars have not been to productive for me. I have a baritone 7, and that slays my wrists for any prolonged use (it has 12-60's, which make it worse, will go lighter next string change). Just repaired a JP BFR, which was pretty useless as guitars go. Can't play standard tuning EVER. If you go standard scale length, at least you can choose between tunings if you need to compromise. With the baritone, you're stuck with low tunings and a finger stretching neck.

Best of luck and enjoy your rock and roll education! :)

fredw138

Fredw138
Reaction score
Buying a 7's is a great idea if you want to play some downtuned stuff. But imo it doesn't make sense if you tune it in standard.

This makes no sense. I thought the whole point of having a seven was to keep the high range of a standard-tuned guitar while being able to play the low B (or A)....

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I have a baritone 7, and that slays my wrists for any prolonged use (it has 12-60's, which make it worse, will go lighter next string change). Just repaired a JP BFR, which was pretty useless as guitars go. Can't play standard tuning EVER. If you go standard scale length, at least you can choose between tunings if you need to compromise. With the baritone, you're stuck with low tunings and a finger stretching neck.

Can't play standard tuning EVER.
:scratch:

What about the large amount of people playing guitars up to and including 30" in standard or more commonly Eb standard?
A 28.625" guitar has exactly the same string tension as a 25.5" guitar if you tune it to D standard. And if you were to use 10's on a 25.5", 9's on a 28.625" provide the same tension in standard tuning. So even on a 30", use a set of 8's and it will feel the same.

Fair enough if you don't like the fret spacing and it hurts your wrist, though :yesway:

mountainjam

Reaction score
This makes no sense. I thought the whole point of having a seven was to keep the high range of a standard-tuned guitar while being able to play the low B (or A)....

I agree man. I have all my 7's in standard. If I wanted to go lower Ide get an 8 string. I can't sacrafice the high notes

space frog

Reaction score
I agree man. I have all my 7's in standard. If I wanted to go lower Ide get an 8 string. I can't sacrafice the high notes

I don't agree. IMO the point of a 7 string guitar is to experiment with the added range (lower or higher), not to simply give you some extra lower notes. Same with an 8 string. You don't lose much of the high range by tuning DropG# for example... you just lose the 24th fret e, which is so high it's just annoying sometimes... And see, I got an 8 string guitar tuned so tht it can go from low F# to 24th fret f#. I use extra low and high range to cover 5 octaves instead of just leaving it in standard tuning. Experimenting like that is the purpose of ERG guitars IMO.

fredw138

Fredw138
Reaction score
I don't agree. IMO the point of a 7 string guitar is to experiment with the added range (lower or higher), not to simply give you some extra lower notes. Same with an 8 string. You don't lose much of the high range by tuning DropG# for example... you just lose the 24th fret e, which is so high it's just annoying sometimes... And see, I got an 8 string guitar tuned so tht it can go from low F# to 24th fret f#. I use extra low and high range to cover 5 octaves instead of just leaving it in standard tuning. Experimenting like that is the purpose of ERG guitars IMO.

Well, I can agree with that. Obviously added range is most important.

I just thought the original post I was responding to about 7 strings being only for downtuning was kinda silly. You can just get a baritone guitar if you want that.

space frog

Reaction score
oh yeah i see. i agree that its quite silly to use 7s only to downtune. like you said a baritone would be just fine for that.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
if i was in your current position i would go for a fixed bridge, baritone 6er of your choice. it will allow you the most tuning changes without alot of "set up" on 1 set of strings. and its already something your used to.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I totally agree to experiment and play in whatever key you like, but my post was in reguard to someone saying standard tuning is pointless, or whatever was said to that effect. There's nothing pointless about playing a 7 in b standard. I've experimented with several tunings but standard favors my song writing the best.

space frog

Reaction score
^That is totally legit. I guess I misunderstood your point. I did not mean that standard tuning is pointless either, I meant that 7 string guitars are not only meant to be 6ers with an added B, just as 8 strings are not meant to just carry an added F#. I guess close minded people wouldnt bother with more strings anyways lol

')