To buy or not to buy a sevenstring

• Thread starter Korg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bklixuz

Reaction score
I had a 7string before. it was perfect for metal. I bought it so that I can reach those low D and B. but suddenly mood changed. I miss those chords where you can use your thumb.. sold my 7 and bought a 6 and got myself a d-tuna. your the only one who can decide what to get. others opinion confuses your decision :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I do not currently own a seven. I have bought them in the past, sold them, back and fourth. I currently tune to drop B. I have been toying with the idea (again) to get another seven, tune it to drop A. I can then pretty much play everything on it, and get a decent low side. Problem with me is, I don't give them a fair shot. Own them for a couple of months, then move on...

I am in the same boat. I just sanded the nut on a cheap strat to play in B standard. I give up on 7s too quickly. I love 7s in theory, but can't find one I'm happy to play on. I took my Schecter back because I hated the EMG 85/81s. They sounded sterile to me. I did like the Agile 25" with Blackouts I had about 2 years ago. Too bad I traded it off for a 27" that I didn't like.

My suggestion, if you are a rhythm player, just keep the B standard 6 string and borrow the schools standard tuned guitars. If you play lead in your band and will use the full range of a 7 string, get a decent playing used or new 7321 for a good price and stick to it.

metalmania408

Reaction score
I'm a noob to the 7 also. I've read through forums and watched youtube vids prior to just ordering my first 7 (yesterday). I just approached it like when I'm in the market for a 6-string. Pickup a decent one at a decent price to give it a try, in order to see how a 7 feels in your hands and if you can make progress with it, to your liking. Don't go super "cheap" as it could just deter you from 7s altogether. Learning on crap guitars or one that isn't setup properly can do that. I have an LP-style Agile and strat-style SX from Rondo, which are totally bang-for-the-buck IMO. So i bit the bullet and purchased their Douglas Hadron 7 just to get a 7 in my hands finally. Can't wait! :metal:

Good luck!

Latest posts

')