To Multiscale or not.. that is the question

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
@Winspear is spot on with his comments on dark tone.

E1 on a 27" scale can be done, and how well depends on what tones you're after, but I would say string choice, pickups, and the guitar's tone become critical. For me, E1 on 27" is "meh" and F#1 is "good" with the strings and gauges I like. My bigger issue is balancing the tone across all 8 strings.

For the 8th string, I want 28"+ to be happy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joan Maal

Reaction score
I currently have a RG2228 and i close to buying a m80m for rythm stuff.

... but now i am considering to sell the RG and get enough (by not buying the M80M) for a high end multiscale, strandberg or pre-owned Skervesen.

So the question is about keeping those two ibanez or going for a sort of all-in-one

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think the M80m has it's neutral fret up around the 12th fret. Not all, but most multiscale guitars have theirs closer to the 9th fret, so that the angle at the nut is less extreme, so that playing down low is a little more familiar/natural...but of course the neutral fret position is only part of the equation, which also includes the actual scale range....not not all multiscales are created equal.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
If you plan to play in the same tuning on both then buying a second hand multiscale would be a great idea, tight bridge pickup with a sharpish neck pickup would cover all your rhythm and lead needs.

stinkoman

Reaction score
Without going lower than E you are probably pretty good with the RG2228 and HT8. It was pointed out different multi-scale will have a different neutral fret changing how it feels. Fan fret 8 string options are limited, but i'd look at the Ormsby Hype GTR. Every one I played was made extremely well and the fan is very comfortable. They will also have locking tuners, Stainless steel frets, carbon reinforced neck, and be probably the cheaper option out of everything.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The meshuggah guitar is not multi-scale.

.... i was posting the same Right now

So like I said...I may be wrong. :lol: My bad...I thought one of those "M" was for "multiscale", and he had "multiscale" in his post, so i got thrown all for a loop. I must have been thinking of the RGMS8 or something.

giphy.gif

Joan Maal

Reaction score
Hello again, and thanks to all of you for the responses.

I have this 2 options in front of me :

- RG2228 27" [ mine ] + M80M 30" [ new ]
- Skervesen Raptor FF8 26-28" [ used ]

(This will be the only gear i use at home)

I am interested on playability, neck profile comfort (i love the RG2228 because of this)...

Joan Maal

Reaction score
Hello again, and thanks to all of you for the responses.

I have this 2 options in front of me :

- RG2228 27" [ mine ] + M80M 30" [ new ]
- Skervesen Raptor FF8 26-28" [ used ]

(This will be the only gear i use at home)

I am interested on playability, neck profile comfort (i love the RG2228 because of this)...

Any experience?

')