To re-fret or not to re-fret?

• Thread starter cpnhowdy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
I had some new parts in storage for the past 18 years (carvin floyd rose, gotoh tuners, emg 89-sa-sa etc). So I bought a used 87 Charvel Model 3 body and neck for about $60 and put everything together.
Now, I absolutely love the feel of this neck. The bad thing is that there is a slight twist in it and the action is quite high from 11th-22nd fret.
The shop said that a re-leveling might help alot but Im thinking of re-fretting
it with stainless steels.
Since I only have approx <$100 into the guitar so far, would it be a waste to spend $450+ on a refret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frank falbo

Reaction score
The refret will cure it if it's done right, but it includes a combination of appropriate planing of the board and proper fret slot tension to pull the twist out under string tension. $450 sounds high, even for stainless, but if you're in Tokyo I don't know what is available to you. If you can send the neck to the US it might open up some options.

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
Why would you re-fret a warped neck? Just get a new one.

I heard the same from some other people too so Ill ditch this neck. Fortunately I have two of these Model 3 necks. The other seems straight but has some dings and such on the back. I would prefer to get a new neck
but have not been able to find anyone that makes an 80`s Charvel replacement.

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
The refret will cure it if it's done right, but it includes a combination of appropriate planing of the board and proper fret slot tension to pull the twist out under string tension. $450 sounds high, even for stainless, but if you're in Tokyo I don't know what is available to you. If you can send the neck to the US it might open up some options.

They pretty much rape you in Japan for repairs. From what I found
its approx 315 for refret, +100 if you want Jim Dunlop frets, +80-100 for
fret leveling, +10 for changing strings then +42 for a final setup. A little negotiation should get all of that within sane pricing. :nuts: This is from ESP Crafthouse repair.

')