To Tremelo, or not to Tremelo?

• Thread starter ProgCorey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ProgCorey

Reaction score
So i'll start off with saying, i have been anticipating on getting a seven string for a long time. I have been playing six string for 6-8 years now, and i've got a few now for my collection, but i think the time has come for a seven string guitar to join my family.

I play my mates seven quite a bit, and i really like the feel of them, and being a big progressive metal and death metal fan, i've decided to start saving for one now. I've decided to order a custom Agile next year when the custom form is released. I've decided on getting a Reaper 7 string with an Interceptor neck, as well as a little bit more of a cutaway towards the end of the fretboard, but i have no idea if i should order a tremelo or not! I love my floyd rose tremelos on my Ibanez, Kramer, and LTD, but they are all different tunings.

So the question comes down to, should i;

A) Get it in string thru and have my various tunings, but not my loved floyd rose. Or..

B) Get it with the floyd rose and stick to one tuning, but be very happy with my trem.

I can't make up my mind :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
If you actually like your trem, could always get a Tremol-No. You can always block a trem, but you can't trem a fixed bridge :2c:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
^ this.
I have a Temol-no on my curretn 7620 and I use it all to the so I can change tunings.

ProgCorey

Reaction score
^ this.
I have a Temol-no on my curretn 7620 and I use it all to the so I can change tunings.

If you actually like your trem, could always get a Tremol-No. You can always block a trem, but you can't trem a fixed bridge :2c:

:bowdown:
Wow, they sound pretty sweet, are they easy to install/take off?
I know a friend who had them on an old Hurricane V, but never realised what it was until now.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Easy as pie if you do any sort of tech work at all. The inventor of them Kevan posts here too. He has installation videos on his website I believe. Also, it's a well known fact you can use it to open a beer.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
For what it's worth, any trem supposedly alters the tone of your guitar. I'm a fixed bridge guy myself, but mostly because I never really had much use for a trem when I was in a metal band, let alone now that I'm exclusively a rock guy.

I've never A/B'd a tremolo vs hardtail myself (with otherwise similar specs), so I can't state whether if there's any actual discernible difference between the two or not. :shrug:

ProgCorey

Reaction score
Haha sweet, sounds like i'm going with my loved floyd rose on my custom!

Hearing about these Tremol-no's has made my day :hbang:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I had a Tremol-No on my old ibanez xiphos. Its great, gives you the solidness and stability of a hardtail with the feel and fine tuning abilities of an FR. Highly recommend them.

Issor

Reaction score
Keep in mind even that, even with a tremol-no, you can't wildly change tunings and expect to keep your tremolo flat.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
You can if you get the set screws. You can take all the strings off and those things will keep the trem level, at least according to Kevan.

thesimo

Reaction score
I'd deffo go with the trem over a hard tail. I need to install my tremel-no just to get it done, cant be bothered re-soldering the claw though... But i will.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
The tremol-no has a little screw on it so you can just wrap the bridge ground wire around it and tighten it.

Issor

Reaction score
You can if you get the set screws. You can take all the strings off and those things will keep the trem level, at least according to Kevan.

eh, no. It's not THAT tight a hold. Any tighter than I have mine now and I might strip them - and if I change my tuning from drop B to, say, C# or D standard, it WILL come up a bit. It's not much, but it's certainly not still dead level.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the set screws like I said or the thumb locks?

Kevan has said himself that the thumb screws are made to slip so people don't fuck their guitars up. He said if you put the set screws in you should be able to take all the strings off.

splinter8451

Reaction score
I tune my Tremol-no'd Jem from standard down to drop C with no movement of the trem.

I recently changed the strings (one at a time) from standard 10's to light bottom heavy top 10's without any movement from the trem. Sure if I unlock the Tremol-no then the trem will probably fly forward :lol: but right now I do not plan on using it anyways.

I think you should definitely go for the Floyd and Tremol-no.

Issor

Reaction score
Are you using the set screws like I said or the thumb locks?

Kevan has said himself that the thumb screws are made to slip so people don't fuck their guitars up. He said if you put the set screws in you should be able to take all the strings off.

Are there other screws meant for keeping it immobile? The only set screws I see are the ones for the claw itself. If there's a way to keep this thing totally immobile I definitely need to hear about it!

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. The set screws need to be locked down with an allen wrench if I'm not mistaken. Contact Kevan and he should be able to hook you up.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, I remember having this discussion with him a long fucking time ago so I could be misremembering something :lol: Any Tremol-no related questions are best left to him, he'll tell you pretty quick what's possible with it and what's not.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
My PRS is set up to dive only an I've got the claw significantly more screwed in then I could if the bridge was floating for much higher spring tension. This means that I can drop tune, 3 stop bend, etc, etc without the tuning going flat and am still able to dive/flutter. Using the allen screw so I can restring completely but I tend to wedge something (wad of card or paper usually) between the bridge & body just to make sure.

I fitted it myself in about 20 minutes - remove old claw, crimp earth cable, add T-no claw, yadda yadda. Great little device. Kevan's the fucking man. :yesway:

')