Tom Morello appreciation

• Thread starter shadowgenesis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
This guy was like my first favorite guitarist and, after neglecting my Rage albums for a long time, i'm rediscovering why. I know so much more about guitar playing now than i did when i was 15 and there's so much to his playing to appreciate that i couldn't back then.

-His riffs kill.
-His use of effects is sick - really steps outside the normal boundaries of what people do with a guitar.
-The whole toggle switch scratching shit is just awesome.
-His lead playing goes anywhere from bluesy to jazzy to really experimental. He uses some tasty altered tones and his phrasing is interesting as hell.
-He can shred when he wants to, though he doesn't come off as showy in his solos (IMO).
-He is heavily influenced by hip hops acts such as Dr. Dre and The Ghetto Boyz, despite the fact that he has to be one of the whitest lookin guitar players in the biz. :lol:

That's the kinda guitarist i want to be. :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nidolf

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, his dad was the first democratically elected president in kenya iirc. Thats pretty cool.

EDIT: No that was his uncle, his father was a guerilla.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always liked him too. About the time when RATM's debut came out, that's when I started liking him. :agreed:

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
If great guitarists are remembered by the unique sound and "innovation" they leave behind... In recent past years, Tom Morello would be one of the few i would think of.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Morello owns.

He's one of my favorite guitar players and one of the few who ahve crafted a unique niche for themselves. No one else sounds like Tom Morello. He is just in his own little galaxy and I love his playing to death.

Michael

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Tom's. His solo's in the early RATM stuff was probably what got me into shred. :yesway: I wish he would do some more solos in that style these days though. As cool and unique as his other solos are. :yesway: I remeber learning Freedom by RATM, such a fun song to play... He is a riff master.

')