Tone help (processors/pedalboards) Pod X3 or Boss Gt-10

Xenos0176

Reaction score
Okay, i posted an amp advice thread on here and i've figured out what i want to do with that, but as of right now i want to get a unit separate from amps that will get me a low, fat tone used in drop tuned metal (B, A, etc.)

I was originally looking at getting a boss gt-10 and i tried one out at guitar center for about 20 minutes and i know i could probably get better results if i messed with it longer but i was not getting the tone i wanted.

Later that day, i discovered the Pod x3 via internet and i know that a Bulb uses a pod xt for his sound (i don't know about live or not). That is pretty much the kind of sound i want, but i would prefer the floor unit to use live, having just discovered it i noticed it's $100 cheaper than the not live version and i'm curious as to why.

I'd like to know that, but as well as which of these units would be better for the style i am going for and which would be easier to use, which would work with live performances and such things.

If there's anything that works better as well, i'm open to suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pathos45

Reaction score
boss gt-10 is a good lil unit, but i find the line 6 to have more range of stuff due to the pod farm 2 and gearbox being fucking amazing for the computer. If you are just wanting to run it for recording then def pick up the x3, if you just want it for effects and not amp moddeling pick up the boss

Xenos0176

Reaction score
What is the difference between the x3 and the x3 live. I don't kno why the pedal unit is 100$ less

pathos45

Reaction score
well theres actully 3 diffrent x3s theres the x3 bean, the x3 live which is a floor board with a wah/volume pedal attatched to it, then theres the x3 pro which is a rack verson. All do the exact same thing its jsut how you want it to look/preform. If you are gonna use it for a live situation your gonna need a power amp of some sorts or go direct but going direct may be a lil iffy as 9/10 the venue will have shit speakers. Now if you go the x3pro way your gonna need a foot controller for the unit, theres the fbv board and such for the line 6 or you can go midi route (dono if the live or bean have midi in and out puts) and if you have a high gain head or thinking of getting one you can get the little amp gizmo midi selector for the amp you bought and then get a midi foot controller to control your pod and amp all in one. But if your gonna go x3 or gt10 only your gonna need a power amp like i said for it to sound the best.

*edit: if you were gonna go x3 floor unit look into the pod hds, yes they have less amp sims (better though i think) but have the same effects quailty that the m9 and m13 have.

Pedro Assault

Reaction score
line6 has done nothing but pissed me off, when their poorly made gear breaks down, they will do everything they can to place blame on you or something else out of their control. warranty or not. i will say some of their stuff sounds good, but the hardware is flimsy.
the thing to remember is that no effects processor alone is going to give you anything close to a professional sound. the X3 and the Gt-10 are both capable of getting good sounds. they just have different approaches.
i personally like the gt-10. i went with Boss because every pedal i bought from them still works even after having a ge-7, mt-2 metalzone, and a
ns-2 noise suppressor submerged in an inch and 1/2 of basement water for 2 days. i still use the NS-2 and Ge-7 (recently upgraded to a
MXR m-108... another good brand) with the gt-10. i will say that the gt-10 has a very steep learning curve but the rewards are F@#$&*! worth it!
definitely try mixing digital and analog signals, as well as different brands of gear, together.

pathos45

Reaction score
line6 has done nothing but pissed me off, when their poorly made gear breaks down, they will do everything they can to place blame on you or something else out of their control. warranty or not. i will say some of their stuff sounds good, but the hardware is flimsy.
the thing to remember is that no effects processor alone is going to give you anything close to a professional sound. the X3 and the Gt-10 are both capable of getting good sounds. they just have different approaches.
i personally like the gt-10. i went with Boss because every pedal i bought from them still works even after having a ge-7, mt-2 metalzone, and a
ns-2 noise suppressor submerged in an inch and 1/2 of basement water for 2 days. i still use the NS-2 and Ge-7 (recently upgraded to a
MXR m-108... another good brand) with the gt-10. i will say that the gt-10 has a very steep learning curve but the rewards are F@#$&*! worth it!
definitely try mixing digital and analog signals, as well as different brands of gear, together.

i dono if your just talking about low end effects processors but the axe is a effects processor and mannnnnnnny artist are switching over to it for its sound.

Bradd

Reaction score
definitely the line 6 dude!!! my singer has a boss me 50, and not that it sounds bad, but i just think my line 6 pod leaves it for dead!

Xenos0176

Reaction score

What do u exactly mean by mixing digital and audio signals and such? Also does the Boss have the capabilities to get that low end tone? i was using the ez tone on it and i felt a little restrained by the capabilites it had to get the certain tone i was going for. I don't know how much better the x3 would be at it b/c i havent tried it yet

Xenos0176

Reaction score
definitely the line 6 dude!!! my singer has a boss me 50, and not that it sounds bad, but i just think my line 6 pod leaves it for dead!

Do u know which pod to go with? someone meantioned earlier bout an hod or something vs the x3 live. I'd more or less go with the live version cuz i want a floorboard version of what im going for

Xenos0176

Reaction score
well theres actully 3 diffrent x3s theres the x3 bean, the x3 live which is a floor board with a wah/volume pedal attatched to it, then theres the x3 pro which is a rack verson. All do the exact same thing its jsut how you want it to look/preform. If you are gonna use it for a live situation your gonna need a power amp of some sorts or go direct but going direct may be a lil iffy as 9/10 the venue will have shit speakers. Now if you go the x3pro way your gonna need a foot controller for the unit, theres the fbv board and such for the line 6 or you can go midi route (dono if the live or bean have midi in and out puts) and if you have a high gain head or thinking of getting one you can get the little amp gizmo midi selector for the amp you bought and then get a midi foot controller to control your pod and amp all in one. But if your gonna go x3 or gt10 only your gonna need a power amp like i said for it to sound the best.

*edit: if you were gonna go x3 floor unit look into the pod hds, yes they have less amp sims (better though i think) but have the same effects quailty that the m9 and m13 have.

Is there a reason for going with the power amp versus just going straight into an amp?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Yes. Stereo FX/outputs. You have em, might as well use em. Unless you already have a tube head laying around for power. Delays and flangers sound amazing when you have a couple cabs seperated by a few feet.

Also, I had a GT-3 last year that I was using for effects with my mp-1. Wasn't a fan of how hard it was to edit patches. However, the effects were stellar.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
Even thought the pod x3 and the gt-10 look similar they serve a different purpose, the gt-10 is a multi fx pedalboard with some amp simulation thrown in, while the pod is an amp simulator with some effects added.

The other guitarist in my band has a gt-10 and while the effects are top notch, there's no way you can get a good tone out of it alone. Everybody i know who has a gt-10 uses it for effects only, because the effects are its strong point. You can get great sounds out of a pod without the need of a good amp/cab, and even thought the effects are not boss-quality, they're good enough.

So, Line6 all the way in my opinion

deepsal

Reaction score
x3 or a hd maybe but not gt10
@the guy who said that line 6 gear breaks down easily
get
-a gun
-a pod hd
-boss gt-10
next fire on both the hd and the gt,see which one incurs more damage

Xenos0176

Reaction score
alright it seems that i would rather go for the pod becuase of its amp stuff vs the gt-10 effects, i'm more looking for the amp modeling more than the effects i believe. I have heard the pod hd come up a few times, is it supposed to be better for what im going for vs the x3 live?

Xenos0176

Reaction score
What are the differences between the pod x3 and the pod hd(500 i supposed cuz i hear its newer)? i know they're both line 6 and i've heard snippets about both

pathos45

Reaction score
the x3 has the same effects and amp sims that were made for the xt and they just added the metal packs and such to it, wheres the pod hd was re designed from the ground up. It has the effects quaility thats in the m9 or m13 but also has a much better amp sim but with less amps than the x3. In reality the x3 is now discontinued and the hd is still being produced, so you will see updates for the hd and probally nothing for the x3 for now on.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
line6 has done nothing but pissed me off, when their poorly made gear breaks down

I've had a POD 2.0, Spider II head, Flextone II head (2x), HD147, and an X3 Live and I've had no issues with any of them. What exactly happened with your stuff where they placed blame elsewhere for things not working?

')