Tone/Modern-Vintage Switch Idea?

• Thread starter PerfectCandor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PerfectCandor

Anti-Active-Pickup Activist
Reaction score
This is totally a specific request but I can't quite decide what would get my idea done. I guess I could buy and try a ton of things but as I am going to college in about a month I have worked to use up my parts and am ordering specifically for this last project so I don't want to spend extra and would rather ask first.

Esentially, my idea is to make a switch for a guitar without a tone knob that slightly alters the character, similar to backing the tone knob off a ways. I at first thought of using a DPDT to try to do the kind of thing Ibanez did with their Super Tap pickups in the 80s - I am not sure what they did but I may open my '81 Blazer up soon to see. I then decided on this idea.

I feel like I need to explain why this is even what I want instead of a tone knob aside from being unique. I am planning on loading a pickguard for my '50s reissue strat (not much room for electronics) with three rail humbuckers, a volume knob for each with push/pull coil splitting, and three switches instead of the 5 way (here is the pickguard if a visual helps) . I understand these are typically used for switching each on but the volume knobs can cover that and allow for blending. I want two of the switches to be phase inversion for bridge and neck pickups to get whatever out of phase sounds I want, no problem there. I may be able to squeeze one in but I think a tone knob is out of the question with what little space I have being used, and it would be in an awful spot.

So, my current idea is to run a tone cap to cut off high end and the teeniest bit of mids to get that slightly-backed-off-tone-knob sound. I am thinking a .015 uf could be alright for not too much, but a noticeable difference with the humbuckers (I plan on using these, I have had good experiences) and maybe better for split, but I am even considering a .010 uf for possibly better useability. For reference, I like backing the .022 off all the way on hot strat type sounds, and when playing jazz on my Strandberg with their in-house (high output and bright) pickups back off the volume about 10% of the way and the tone about 25-40% depending on the style. So I suppose I shouldn't mind going too light on the rating.

In terms of just adjusting output, would it be possible to run a super high or super low resistor to ground to get about 80-90% of the output? My brain seems to be too fried to figure out how I would do that without opening up my Blazer with relatively fresh strings and idk if I even wanna try this part lol.

Anyway, what are your suggestions? I doubt it but has anyone tried something similar? Would the .010 uf be too light for single coils?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
Check out the Paul Reed Smith sweet switch. Used to be standard on their guitars back in the early days, but they went to a standard tone pot in the early 90s.

PerfectCandor

Reaction score
Check out the Paul Reed Smith sweet switch. Used to be standard on their guitars back in the early days, but they went to a standard tone pot in the early 90s.
PRS kinda dont fall under my radar often so I don't know a ton about them and have never heard of this. I'm looking at it and it's interesting, thanks a ton!

PerfectCandor

Reaction score
Just ordered everything I need to load the pickguard. Thanks a ton for the PRS direction, I decided on an on/off/on switch, with one .010 uf cap and one .022 uf cap. Didn't quite copy how the sweet switch was wired but this seemes like it should be better than anything I originally envisioned.

')