Tone(s) i wish to acheive..

• Thread starter simsklok
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simsklok

i hate you all
Reaction score
so as everyone may or may not know i'm a heavy listener of doom metal (electric wizard specifically) and there's a couple songs with some awesome tone I really dig and would like to achieve (maybe not exactly but a little similiar). one song is Master of Alchemy

(excuse the video clip, it's the only audio clip i could find online)

another is funeralopolis..

NOW.. I already know everyone's gonna tell me to buy a fuckin 2 grand matamp.. no thx.. I know Electric Wizard uses either Marshalls or Rectifiers.. any idea how they get this much fuzz on top of it for that kinda grinding tone.. I have a muff pedal but it doesn't really give me a sound like this

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
You can cover a lot of doom with a marshall or an orange/matamp.

The MP-1 works well for doom too, the other day at practice we were playing Candlemass's "Solitude" and it nailed that tone.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Dopethrone was a kickass album. I love the sound of the guitar on it. "We Hate You" is such a killer track.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
NOW.. I already know everyone's gonna tell me to buy a fuckin 2 grand matamp.. no thx.. I know Electric Wizard uses either Marshalls or Rectifiers.. any idea how they get this much fuzz on top of it for that kinda grinding tone.. I have a muff pedal but it doesn't really give me a sound like this

Quoth The Wizard:

"Do you guys use vintage gear?

We’ve got prehistoric amplification. It’s pretty disgusting. It started off that way because we wanted to get the band started and that stuff was cheap. So we started with cheap amps, but we noticed that they made us sound louder than everyone else and their expensive, posh-ass shit. Plus, we were really into a lot of ’60s and ’70s bands, so we figured playing on the original equipment would make us sound older, more like those bands."

simsklok

i hate you all
Reaction score
Dopethrone was a kickass album. I love the sound of the guitar on it. "We Hate You" is such a killer track.

probably my favorite song on that album.

I'm fuckin DYING to try an orange BUT for the simple fact I live in the bay area (california) and most people who play around here play emo metal hardcore shit, no guitar centers carry them nor have used ones :noway:

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
I don't know as far as amps/effects but if you're looking for a pickup swap Bare Knuckle alnicoV Warpigs are great for stuff like this.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know as far as amps/effects but if you're looking for a pickup swap Bare Knuckle alnicoV Warpigs are great for stuff like this.

Except, chances are, given Jus' attitude on gear, he'd never use them.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
grab a used marshall DSL401?

Natron808

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this old thread but I want to chime in here. The video the OP posted was from the Let Us Prey album. Electric Wizard used a Matamp Roadster for the guitar sound on that album. I don't know if they also used other amps or what outboard gear they added to it but... yeah. Previous to that, it was a lot of (as someone else pointed out) really loud, cheap vintage amps like Sound City 120s with pedals in front of them. For the Dopethrone album, it's a Boss FZ-2 pedal in Mode 2. The end. If you hit a loud amp capable of producing tons of low-end with an FZ-2, it IS the Dopethrone sound, as I have demonstrated here:

Since Let Us Prey, I'm not really sure what they use. Since then, they have been seen live with a bunch of different amps. People in the UK have told me they've seen them playing recently with a stage just packed full of Matamps. Much of their live sound in the past when they were seen with 5150s or Rectifiers was originating from their pedal boards and not the amps' onboard gain. On their most recent album, you can plainly hear that their tone is just 100% pure fuzz pedal of unknown origin.

Personally, I owned a Matamp Roadster up until last year and could get really, really close to the Let Us Prey tone with it. I regret selling that amp every day. I've since made up for that mistake by replacing it with an Electric Amp head but I still miss the Matamp.

You can get a lot of Electric Wizard's tone with various fuzz pedals, though. The Matamp and Electric Amp sound is the most buzzsaw sounding gain you can get without a fuzz pedal which is why they work for the genre but a straight up fuzz pedal will nail it as well, depending on the pedal. You'll want something more vintage and raspy rather than some of today's modern over the top crazy fuzzes like the Zvex Fuzz Factory (just sold mine) or like a Death By Audio fuzz, etc. A Fuzz Face or Tonebender clone or something similar may work.

I've owned and played a bunch of modern high-gain heads, vintage clean or mid gain heads, modern mid-gain heads and blah blah but the Matamp/Electric buzzsaw-like foggy honk is the only amp sound that, to this day, consistently makes me grin ear to ear when I hit a chord. It's just SO satisfying.

EDIT: This is what I mean. Hank III's Electric Amp head sound. The sound is definitely not for everyone and some people really really hate it. I adore it, personally. Excuse Hank III's playing here. He was probably quite.... altered at the time.

')