Tone Suggestions (djent)

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
Hey i'm new to sevenstring so here is my bs post about something ive needed help with.
I own a Peavey 6505 (like a lot of people) and a marshall 1960 lead cab. from guitar to amp i go:
guitar-tuner-ibanez ts9-boss eq-boss noise suppressor-amp.
It hasnt failed me yet, but ive been craving for a more sharp, edgy, gritty tone. aka-djent. Something preferably mid-gain oriented but not completely reliable on it. In short-Periphery sounding or I the Breather sounding. If you have any gear and/or knob suggestions for this that would be well appreciated. Thanks!
-Austin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

natspotats

Reaction score
just for future reference you should try the search function before you post, just in case someone else has made a thread similar to this. its your first post so i dont blame you but just wait till other people start posting on here making you feel stupid for not using the search function :D

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
Hey i'm new to sevenstring so here is my bs post about something ive needed help with.
I own a Peavey 6505 (like a lot of people) and a marshall 1960 lead cab. from guitar to amp i go:
guitar-tuner-ibanez ts9-boss eq-boss noise suppressor-amp.
It hasnt failed me yet, but ive been craving for a more sharp, edgy, gritty tone. aka-djent. Something preferably mid-gain oriented but not completely reliable on it. In short-Periphery sounding or I the Breather sounding. If you have any gear and/or knob suggestions for this that would be well appreciated. Thanks!
-Austin

TS9: level - 7-9.5
gain - 0
tone - just about anywhere you like it

boss eq: 100 Hz - cut, but be careful; take away too much and your tone will get thin
200 Hz -keep flat
400 Hz - cut
800 Hz - keep flat
1.6 KHz - boost... or cut if you decide to boost 3.2 KHz
3.2 KHz - if you boost 1.6 Khz, cut this; or vice versa
6.4 KHz - keep flat.... you can cut if it sounds too boomy

other than these setting, play around w/the amp settings a lot too.. especially the master, channel volume and gain knobs... this will help you find the right "responsive-ness" on the gain side of things... once everything is tight, than you can dial it in by tweaking the eq settings on the amp..

also, keep in mind that these settings are pretty generic "djent" configurations

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
TS9: level - 7-9.5
gain - 0
tone - just about anywhere you like it

boss eq: 100 Hz - cut, but be careful; take away too much and your tone will get thin
200 Hz -keep flat
400 Hz - cut
800 Hz - keep flat
1.6 KHz - boost... or cut if you decide to boost 3.2 KHz
3.2 KHz - if you boost 1.6 Khz, cut this; or vice versa
6.4 KHz - keep flat.... you can cut if it sounds too boomy

other than these setting, play around w/the amp settings a lot too.. especially the master, channel volume and gain knobs... this will help you find the right "responsive-ness" on the gain side of things... once everything is tight, than you can dial it in by tweaking the eq settings on the amp..

also, keep in mind that these settings are pretty generic "djent" configurations

Thanks Man. That's pretty much what i have now though haha. i guess i have the best of what i got. I'll keep experimenting with it and post again if anything comes up
-Austin :fawk:

brootalboo

My boo
Reaction score
Just speaking to the 6505, (just because I own one myself but not any of the other pieces of equipment) I got some pretty good tones just by boosting the mids and the trebles while keeping the bass under 12 o clock. If the gain is also below 12 o clock you should be good. Presence should be set somewhat high.

And with the noise suppressor it sounds like you should be good. Let me know if that helps, it's kind of hard taming a metal machine like the 6505 to kick back a little bit and go for some cutting edge tones.

')