Tonex One leaked?

• Thread starter aWoodenShip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
A couple questions for the people who bought one and are past the honeymoon phase.....

1) How are you digging it after a few months?
2) How does it sound through headphones?

Thinking about getting one since it seems like the perfect portable headphone rig, and the ability to capture some of my favorite pedals without lugging around my board seems like a no-brainer.

I am surprised no one has responded to this because of all the hype around when this was introduced. Has people been switching to these?

I must say, for as much as I complained earlier in this thread about units you cant edit without a computer (which I still dont like, I think it shortens the lifespan of the device and encourages consumerism....) I have been playing with the ToneX software, and Amplitube. I have been very impressed. It is probably the best sounding and feeling direct solution I have used. ToneX on its own is limited, but it does the basics well.

I like it so much I bought the Amplitube software. I plan on buying the ToneX software when it goes on sale. I am undecided if I will buy the actual pedal, but we will see.

It also has me looking at how to tweak my FM3 differently, and I bought some new IRs to see if I can improve how I like it direct also.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has responded to this because of all the hype around when this was introduced. Has people been switching to these?

I must say, for as much as I complained earlier in this thread about units you cant edit without a computer (which I still dont like, I think it shortens the lifespan of the device and encourages consumerism....) I have been playing with the ToneX software, and Amplitube. I have been very impressed. It is probably the best sounding and feeling direct solution I have used. ToneX on its own is limited, but it does the basics well.

I like it so much I bought the Amplitube software. I plan on buying the ToneX software when it goes on sale. I am undecided if I will buy the actual pedal, but we will see.

It also has me looking at how to tweak my FM3 differently, and I bought some new IRs to see if I can improve how I like it direct also.
I’m still tempted to get one of these to run parallel with my FM3 and some kind of delay compensation for phase. It’s stupid, completely unnecessary, but I think about it several times a week since these are so cheap. :lol:

slim231990

Areola51
Reaction score
Yea I'm shocked that there's not much out there talking about headphone usage. I'm probably just going to get one here soon regardless. I feel like even if you never hook it up to a PC it's still worth the price with all the presets it comes with.

I keep telling myself maybe something better will come along here soon, but for it being a mini pedal with all of these features I don't see how it could get any better lol :shrug:. I don't normally buy into the whole "this is a game changer" mentality, but I think it is especially for beginners or anyone who has volume restrictions.

I have a Mooer Audiofile I keep at the end of my pedal board so I can use my pedals via headphones. It's good and all but it is basically a super clean cab sim with not allot of character. So my end goal is to replace the Audiofile with this and mess around with trying to make some captures since I already have most of the gear required.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for IK to get the amount of users they want so they can paid-gamify/DLC the thing into the dirt.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for IK to get the amount of users they want so they can paid-gamify/DLC the thing into the dirt.
Once I got into it, I saw that it was very similar to the Native Instruments model. I have owned NI Komplete for years. I generally update it for $100 or whatever every 3-4 years to keep it current. They are always adding additional packs you can buy.

I love the idea of NAM, but the problem I see with it is like using Linux. It may be superior to Microsoft/Apple, but in the end, it will never gain market share because it is too fragmented. There is no standardization to get everyone on board the same way. I see NAM having the same problem over time. Where IK Multimedia is ahead is by having a centralized database and product focus to get everyone on the same standard.

Shask

Reaction score
Yea I'm shocked that there's not much out there talking about headphone usage. I'm probably just going to get one here soon regardless. I feel like even if you never hook it up to a PC it's still worth the price with all the presets it comes with.

I keep telling myself maybe something better will come along here soon, but for it being a mini pedal with all of these features I don't see how it could get any better lol :shrug:. I don't normally buy into the whole "this is a game changer" mentality, but I think it is especially for beginners or anyone who has volume restrictions.

I have a Mooer Audiofile I keep at the end of my pedal board so I can use my pedals via headphones. It's good and all but it is basically a super clean cab sim with not allot of character. So my end goal is to replace the Audiofile with this and mess around with trying to make some captures since I already have most of the gear required.
I can't speak for the pedal, but I have been impressed with the software with a computer interface. I generally do not like headphones, or playing direct at all, but I think the ToneX has something that is not common. Generally I hear mushy blurred lows, and fizzy highs that you cant tame without making them sound like they are under a pillow. There is also usually a laggy feel. I think the ToneX has a very snappy feel to it, and I dont notice the weird lows and highs like normal.

After being a Fractal fan for years, I was actually surprised I liked it as much as I did.

It would be cool if you could put full Amplitube presets into it. That would give you the effects and signal chains. I could see that making it better. I would also like to see 2 cascading profiles, so that way you could put an OD profile in front of an amp profile, all in one sound.

The software is free to try. I say download it, and play with it. See what you think.

')