Tony MacAlpine & Jeff Loomis sheddy-duel @ EMGTV

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I can't listen to the audio at the moment... but I watched the vid on mute. That's a lot of notes being played right there!

viesczy

Reaction score
Great vid. Thought Tony showed himself to be a better musician and technician, but Jeff is no slouch!

I found Nilli's tones through her Triamp the best of the 3. Jeff's Engl just seemed so stiff/sterile.

Derek

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Tony is one of those dudes who are jaw-droppingly awesome at playing but cant seem to write anything worth listening to :shrug:

Jeff too to an extent. His solo work is awesome for about 2 minuets then gets boring. Same with all those shredder types. And this is coming from a me, a guy who's life was changed by Jeff's playing in Nevermore.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I posted this vid in another thread, Watching it again
I really can't play the guitar.....not even close!!! :wallbash:

MatthewK

Reaction score
Tony is one of those dudes who are jaw-droppingly awesome at playing but cant seem to write anything worth listening to :shrug:

Jeff too to an extent. His solo work is awesome for about 2 minuets then gets boring. Same with all those shredder types. And this is coming from a me, a guy who's life was changed by Jeff's playing in Nevermore.

For real? Of all the neoclassical shredders I always considered Tony the best composer.

fogcutter

Reaction score
From 5:00 onwards, I couldn't control the smile on my face. It's awesome to see guys at their level having fun, trading licks, and playing with a rad band like that.

Videos like this one should be shared widely among musicians, to break the cycle of classical snobbery.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Tony took awhile to warm up it seems. Or he might've been pacing himself. Jeff on the other hand went in for the kill immediately. Holy hell.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
The best parts where Tony played really simple parts just to .... with Jeff.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I found Nilli's tones through her Triamp the best of the 3.

Derek

Yeah I was quite taken off guard by that, her tone out of the three to my ears is better.

I found some bits of that interesting musically, to my ears it had a very 80's Jazz fusion vibe. In terms of the shred-off at the end, the melodic passages that Jeff started with were really lovely, but when it became a flurry of notes and sweeps it stopped being musical for me. Still I cannot fault them for being amazing guitar players.

Sumsar

Reaction score

I find that this is a lot more interesting composing, both for the main part of the song and the solo section compared to your average instrumental guitar nerd music, which often bores you to death. Defiantly a looot more interesting than the endless pentatonic wankery that is 90% of the G3 shows.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Yeah. I loved in the second go-around that Tony matched the level of technicality with everything Loomis threw at him. :lol:

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I was just about to post this. Awesome. I love MacAlpine and Loomis, although I think Tony's playing is more interesting to me at this point.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
It's cool that so many folks like Nili's tone. Didn't notice it so much before, but it's really nice...well-suited for rhythm. Jeff and his tone made me want to be a rock star. Tony's playing also stood out. It seemed so dang smooth and effortless.

And it's a nice extra bonus for EMG (and listeners) that there are three guitarists using the same pickup in one video.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I find that this is a lot more interesting composing, both for the main part of the song and the solo section compared to your average instrumental guitar nerd music, which often bores you to death. Defiantly a looot more interesting than the endless pentatonic wankery that is 90% of the G3 shows.

I'll definitely give him that. I'd give my left nut to play like him, and thats my only working nut. I'm not joking :lol:

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I'll definitely give him that. I'd give my left nut to play like him, and thats my only working nut. I'm not joking :lol:

thats-deep.jpg

SKoG

Reaction score
For real? Of all the neoclassical shredders I always considered Tony the best composer.

Yeah, as far as "post-Yngwie shredders" go, Tony's music and playing has held up the best for me by far as I've drifted away from the genre. A bunch of his solo material still gets regular plays from me, not to mention his work with Planet X and CAB. He's one of the few of that era I regularly go back to and actively check-up on.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I also love how much fun Tony and Jeff seem to be having. Makes me smile and I haven't been smiling much lately.

')