Tony MacAlpine & Jeff Loomis sheddy-duel @ EMGTV

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
thats-deep.jpg

I had this thing where my blood vessels would swell and cause pain. Kinda like a headache, but in my balls. Righty to be exact. Docs had to clamp some stuff off and as a result ol' righty operates at super low capacity.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I had this thing where my blood vessels would swell and cause pain. Kinda like a headache, but in my balls. Righty to be exact. Docs had to clamp some stuff off and as a result ol' righty operates at super low capacity.

Excuse the pun, but thats 'nuts' man.

But in all seriousness its pretty bad ass that you're left with your lefty. I mean that means when you say any of those 'my left testicle…' lines it has a lot of levels to it.

That kind of depth should make for good ambiguous Prog-Metal songs ;)

ihunda

Reaction score
So many notes so little musicality... sad...
OK, I'll leave now :)

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Sorry, but she's better than Loomis.

In your opinion, I don't even know why I responded to this but comments like this are a pet peeve of mine, as if taste doesn't exist, and this isn't a subjective thing.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
In your opinion, I don't even know why I responded to this but comments like this are a pet peeve of mine, as if taste doesn't exist, and this isn't a subjective thing.

Actually, I had an issue with her skills being compared to that of a man's.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score

That may not have come out the way you intended. :scratch:

But really, I don't think anyone else was commenting on her skills. Just that her tone was really good.
And that Tony and Jeff are listed in the titles of the thread and youtube video. Only two guitarists play for nearly the entire first half, and neither is Jeff. One clearly looks like Tony. The other wears a dress. It can be pretty funny if you think about it.

Last edited:

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Tony is one of those dudes who are jaw-droppingly awesome at playing but cant seem to write anything worth listening to :shrug:

Have you ever heard "Maximum Security"?

That is the finest collection of melodies in the entire neo-classical genre IMO.

All of his other albums are hit or miss writing-wise, but i always though MS was leagues ahead of any other shred album in the writing department.

Tony is playing here in NYC in June, i'm thinking of going. Too bad Nili is not in the touring band. I think it may be somewhat empty sounding without another guitarist.

Draceius

Reaction score

Well in actual fact you were comparing her to a man and what you said here conflicts with what you originally said. So that either came out really badly or what I've quoted isn't what you meant.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Well in actual fact you were comparing her to a man and what you said here conflicts with what you originally said. So that either came out really badly or what I've quoted isn't what you meant.

Where did I compare her to a man and how does that conflict with what I said?

sonofabias

Reaction score
Tony is one of those dudes who are jaw-droppingly awesome at playing but cant seem to write anything worth listening to :shrug:

Jeff too to an extent. His solo work is awesome for about 2 minuets then gets boring. Same with all those shredder types. And this is coming from a me, a guy who's life was changed by Jeff's playing in Nevermore.

:agreed: Maximum Security was his compositional magnum opus , if you will . His writing at that time was inspired to say the least , after that I never heard the compositional growth I'd hoped for, but it was full of flame throwing improvisational skill and keyboard / guitar pyrotechnics . IMHO Being in a band and writing music for a singer as well as lyrics really aids in the development of musical skills necessary for potentially great song writing . A lot of super shredders don't do this .:metal:

Draceius

Reaction score
Where did I compare her to a man and how does that conflict with what I said?

Sorry, but she's better than Loomis.

Here ^

Whatever you were trying to imply, all that came through is a direct comparison to Loomis (because you said she was better, not even that you think that, but you stated it like a fact thus a comparison), and as such you have compared her to a man. And it by saying you weren't doing that either contradicts what I just explained, which is what I meant, or your implication came out wrong, whatever that may be.

Regardless this is getting very pedantic of me, and I'd much rather just keep watching the vid because I love their playing.

stevexc

Reaction score

I can't for the life of me understand why you brought gender into this :scratch:

Anyways, is it bad that I paid more attention to Pete Griffin's sick bass tone than anything else?

Promit

Reaction score
I'm glad this thread taught me who Nili Brosh is. She's a much more musical player than the other two IMO, no disrespect of course.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
^^^
Yeah, Nili has a great sense of melody. Her albums are worth checking out.

Tony's new album was released today- i'll probably pick it up later in the week.

')