Too many years to get to 7 string ...

• Thread starter Das Gitarrenwiesel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi ... I started in punk ... then when I learned to play properly I became part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal ... hundreds, perhaps thousands of gigs ... and I taught music at college ... then I was made redundant 14 years ago so I started winding pickups for a living ... I even make pickups for 7 strings and multiscale instruments ... but still I didn't play one goddammit! Then finally a couple of months ago I bought an Ibanez 7 ... and it was like coming home. Where were you all my life? Er well apart from Mr Van Epps and his jazz playing ... I guess you hadn't been invented!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I hear ya. I went nearly 20 years from first picking up guitar to playing a 7.

Instant comfort. Now it's pretty much all I play. I have a few non 7's I should sell, but I'm too sentimental.

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear ya. I went nearly 20 years from first picking up guitar to playing a 7.

Instant comfort. Now it's pretty much all I play. I have a few non 7's I should sell, but I'm too sentimental.
I find my creativity has gotten a massive boost ... and for someone who works in the 'industry' it's really easy to get jaded.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum then... I've been playing 7s since 2002 with about 10 years playing 6s first. Never went back, although I still have 2 of those 6s. It just feel right.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I was playing from like '91 to 2013 on mostly six strings and a few five string basses. Once I found an Ibanez RGD 7 stringer, I was firmly on in the ERG (extended range guitar) camp.

Welcome!

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi ... I started in punk ... then when I learned to play properly I became part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal ... hundreds, perhaps thousands of gigs ... and I taught music at college ... then I was made redundant 14 years ago so I started winding pickups for a living ... I even make pickups for 7 strings and multiscale instruments ... but still I didn't play one goddammit! Then finally a couple of months ago I bought an Ibanez 7 ... and it was like coming home. Where were you all my life? Er well apart from Mr Van Epps and his jazz playing ... I guess you hadn't been invented!
Welcome. Agreed!

Das Gitarrenwiesel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now I'm starting my upgrade/mods work on the Ibanez with an Earvana nut and some locking tuners ... may ditch the tone control for a kill switch ...

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I think I bought my first 7 around 2015? and I def felt late to the party. But that's the great thing about almost any instrument... you're never too late. And yeah... it was absolutely inspiring for me as well. I even went through a phase where I thought I'd sell off all my six strings. Glad that passed as I truly enjoy the attributes of both but yep... sevens open up a whole new world. Congrats on the recent acquisition and welcome to the forum.

')