Tool - Faaip de Oiad and lost keys/rosetta stoned

• Thread starter CD1221
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CD1221

Reaction score
So I am waaaaay late to this party it seems, but the connection and in particular the timing of these two songs (when overlaid) has just blown my mind.

Possibly the most interesting part of that video, apart from the obvious lyrical connection is the timing - Faaip ends literally just before the nurse says "Excuse me...." and the conversation with the doctor begins (in Lost Keys).

Further net research yielded an interesting forum discussion:

The Tool Page: Opinion - Meaning of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned

This has some interesting implications for the connection between lateralus and 10,000 days, perhaps the entire catalogue. Or maybe we need to think less and just enjoy the music some more.

What do you guys make of this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
i'm not even going to begin to analyze this, i don't have enough time in the day as it is!

but that's pretty awesome, and a bit too much of a coincidence to be unintentional. i wouldn't put it past them to do something like this.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^I don't. TOOL is just the sort of band to do shit like this.

idunno

Reaction score
God damn. I read that discussion. Even if its not all related tool still rules, no one asks questions like this about another band. And if it is all related.....well then Tool owns music and no one can compete with that.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Tool are very artistically influenced. They see their music and stage shows as art performances, not just gigs. I'm sure all this reading into their music is exactly what they intended.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Fibonacci sequence:

Ah, I was going to post that one.

I love it when people go to such lengths to say something, but keep it hidden. You will only ever be worthy of certain information if you can find it in the first place... Which is why I always do this kind of shit when I have to write a paper. :cool:

Antimatter

Reaction score
I have a theory that the reason why Tool takes so long to make albums is they spend 90 percent of the time thinking of ridiculous things to put in their songs like parts of them lining up with each other that really have no bearing on the meanings or purpose of the songs, and just have them in there to screw with people who overanalyze things like this.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^There is a fan-supposed new track order that follows similar themes to the Fibonacci Sequence, and it really, really works both musically and lyrically.

Google it.

FWB

Reaction score
Don't flame me, but doesn't anyone else think Maynard is just trolling everybody? These tracks are obviously meant to be played simultaneously, but the messages and lyrical ideas in your average tool song are so vague, you could really interpret a vast number of meanings out of one idea... it's similar to how fortune tellers work; if you're vague enough with your information, there has to be some sort of connection between the fortune and real life.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
I've heard both serious interviews where Maynard and Daney talk about how they've used these ideas but I’ve also heard plenty to suggest that they are having a good ol' laugh at the expense of all these 'quasi-intellectuals' who debate and discuss all the hidden meanings etc.

Whatever they're trying to do they're doing a darn good job of it.

I might be alone but I tend to just enjoy Tool for what it is. Awesome.

Latest posts

')