Tool Recording New Material

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
This sounds great to me. Even if it takes way too long new music is still good when it comes around. I know 10,0000 Days wasn't a huge hit with the Tool fans but it's my favorite album from them, so I'll be curious too see what new stuff will sound like now. I hate when people expect bands to sound the same over time. Thats not what music is about.

I think most people were upset by the ridiculous amount of filler/just noise tracks. I'll go to a movie for that shit don't need it on my music I skip those tracks so there was like 4 or 5 songs only and I liked those, but those weren't as good as lateralus different or not. Don't expect it to be the same, but if your gonna take a decade it better be good. Thats why Chinese Democracy was a bust 14 years and just an average mediocre CD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghost2II2

Reaction score
Awesome news! I have no doubts that his will be equally as spectacular as everything else these guys have ever laid to tape.

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
I think most people were upset by the ridiculous amount of filler/just noise tracks. I'll go to a movie for that shit don't need it on my music I skip those tracks so there was like 4 or 5 songs only and I liked those, but those weren't as good as lateralus different or not. Don't expect it to be the same, but if your gonna take a decade it better be good. Thats why Chinese Democracy was a bust 14 years and just an average mediocre CD.

Yeah good point, but I don't like stuff like that to ruin what good songs are still on the album.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I'm surprised 10,000 days wasn't their last. Unless they can recapture some of the heart/mind magic they had perfectly juxtaposed on aenima I can see a rift growing internally. I never liked Lateralus or 10,000 days as much because it leant further into more cerebral territory and away from the emotional. Maynard said in an interview something along the lines of "I like being able to write my vocals as if I'm running down stairs. Now writing vocals feels like I'm running down stairs with a blindfold on and some of the steps are missing or out of place" or something like that.

I think the whole band need to be involved 100% during the writing process on this one if they want to grow. Fight inducing as it may be Maynard cant be an afterthought, but its probably going to have to be that way if he's holding up recording. None of the rest of the band have other obligations but mjk is all over the place.

The last album that worked for me start to finish was aenima and as far as I know it was the last one they wrote together. After that IMO, brains and other projects got in the way of hearts far too often and things got anemic and a little too reserved. There are GREAT moments on lateralus and 10,000 days though don't get me wrong, some very special moments, but they were just singular songs or even just sections of songs. Aenima start to finish was like watching a beautifully executed and passionate movie. Everything was there

They're probably sick to death of each other. Or more likely Adam and Maynard are sick to death of each other from what I hear. God knows if recording to tape is going to bring back that organic oneness they had in the mid/early nineties. They need to get back in touch with each other in the practice room. All four of them.

flint757

Reaction score
I'm surprised 10,000 days wasn't their last. Unless they can recapture some of the heart/mind magic they had perfectly juxtaposed on aenima I can see a rift growing internally. I never liked Lateralus or 10,000 days as much because it leant further into more cerebral territory and away from the emotional. Maynard said in an interview something along the lines of "I like being able to write my vocals as if I'm running down stairs. Now writing vocals feels like I'm running down stairs with a blindfold on and some of the steps are missing or out of place" or something like that.

I think the whole band need to be involved 100% during the writing process on this one if they want to grow. Fight inducing as it may be Maynard cant be an afterthought, but its probably going to have to be that way if he's holding up recording. None of the rest of the band have other obligations but mjk is all over the place.

The last album that worked for me start to finish was aenima and as far as I know it was the last one they wrote together. After that IMO, brains and other projects got in the way of hearts far too often and things got anemic and a little too reserved. There are GREAT moments on lateralus and 10,000 days though don't get me wrong, some very special moments, but they were just singular songs or even just sections of songs. Aenima start to finish was like watching a beautifully executed and passionate movie. Everything was there

They're probably sick to death of each other. Or more likely Adam and Maynard are sick to death of each other from what I hear. God knows if recording to tape is going to bring back that organic oneness they had in the mid/early nineties. They need to get back in touch with each other in the practice room. All four of them.

Another Aenema would be great. Third eye is the shit :hbang:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
No one has a clue what they're recording on, because the bit about them using a Studer was about Volto!, not Tool.

I don't care if they write the music with Maynard or not. I definitely think they're at the point where it's going to be a Tool album regardless of who was there when they were running through 10 different versions of the same chorus.

After nearly 20 years, I'm sure they've got trust in each other to deliver what they need in order to put out a 'Tool' album.

')