Tool to tune RG2228 bridge?

• Thread starter Necromechanical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necromechanical

I am a machine
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was in Guitar Center today and they happened to have a RG2228 on the wall so I immediately asked to play it. I started tuning it using my fingers but after I got the 8th-6th strings in tune, it became extremely difficult to twist some of the other little tuner things, and the guy said he didn't have the tool to tune it :mad: so I didn't really get to play it since I couldn't get it in tune. Do you get a tool for this when you buy the guitar, or can you buy the tool seperately? Just curious, and thanks in advance for any responses :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no "tool", unless he just means the 3mm allen key to unlock the nut and tune at the headstock. The fine tuners are simply there to compensate for the tendencies of locking nuts to slightly knock the strings out of tune when being fastened, not to alter the actual tuning of the string.

For the record, he was just being a lazy ass, as a guitar store with dozens of trem/locking nut guitars should have MANY allen keys at hand for quick, slight adjustments.

terminus

Reaction score
For the record, he was just being a lazy ass, as a guitar store with dozens of trem/locking nut guitars should have MANY allen keys at hand for quick, slight adjustments.

I used to work at a Best Buy in the musical instrument department and even there, with the 2-3 guitars we stocked with locking trems, we always had allen keys on hand. That dude was totally being a lazy jerk off.

Necromechanical

I am a machine
Reaction score
Oooh so you do tune the guitar with the tuning pegs? Lol I feel like an idiot. Thanks guys! And yeah that guy kind of was a jerk, when I asked him if he could grab the guitar off the wall for me he was like "do you even know how to play it?" Thanks again :)

terminus

Reaction score
Yeah. You initially tune the guitar with the tuning pegs and then use the fine tuners after you've locked the nut.

KenAncients

Reaction score
The fine tuner on my rg2228 on the 3rd string is hard to turn, and i literally dont utilize the double locking tuners. I do tune up to A, and i imagine with a low F# on a 27 inch scale they'd need to be used. Personally I feel like the locking system on the rg2228 could be better.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fine tuner on my rg2228 on the 3rd string is hard to turn, and i literally dont utilize the double locking tuners. I do tune up to A, and i imagine with a low F# on a 27 inch scale they'd need to be used. Personally I feel like the locking system on the rg2228 could be better.

If a fine tuner is hard to turn, just back it all the way out, clean it with some naphtha, put a little bit of Chapstick (no joke) on it, and then screw it back in. It should turn perfectly unless there's an issue with the bolt or assembly.

What do you mean by "dont utilize the double locking tuners"? Do you just not lock the nut?

The tuners on the RG2228 are standard 18:1 tuners, there's no reason to use the fine tuners unless you lock the nut. It has nothing to do with the scale.

KenAncients

Reaction score
If a fine tuner is hard to turn, just back it all the way out, clean it with some naphtha, put a little bit of Chapstick (no joke) on it, and then screw it back in. It should turn perfectly unless there's an issue with the bolt or assembly.

What do you mean by "dont utilize the double locking tuners"? Do you just not lock the nut?

The tuners on the RG2228 are standard 18:1 tuners, there's no reason to use the fine tuners unless you lock the nut. It has nothing to do with the scale.

On the Rg2228 it is impossible to back the fine tuners all the way out (honestly). And if i had a 28-30 inch scale neck i bet my guitar could hold a tuning such as E,B,E,A,D,G,B,E without any locking mechanism. But I imagine on my smaller scale Prestige that tuning would fluctuate. Hence why it came with a double locking system with a fixed bridge.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On the Rg2228 it is impossible to back the fine tuners all the way out (honestly). And if i had a 28-30 inch scale neck i bet my guitar could hold a tuning such as E,B,E,A,D,G,B,E without any locking mechanism. But I imagine on my smaller scale Prestige that tuning would fluctuate. Hence why it came with a double locking system with a fixed bridge.

Out of my 28.625" and 30" scale Agiles, 27" Scale LTD SC608B, and RG2228 my RG2228 kept tune a lot better, even when I had it tuned to E. A locking system locks the tuning in place, that's all it does. In fact, I sometimes just didn't use the locking system (it's not a trem after all) and it still handeled drop E wonderfully, just as well as the longer scale Agiles. The SC608 kept tune pretty good as well after I cleaned up the nut slots. For whatever reason my Interceptor Pro (28.625") didn't hold tune too well. With the proper strings the scale means nothing as far as tuning stability.

You can back the fine tuners all the way out (at least on my 07' they could), there's just a small retainer clip at the end of the tuner. It's pretty easy to pop off, and just as easy to get back on. If not, then you can still clean and lube the thread, you'll just have to back them out as much as you can, then use a q-tip to clean and lube.

Keep in mind that Meshuggah who use 30.5" scale 8s prefer the locking system as well.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
im stupid. i thought this thread was about the band tool using some 8 string guitar tuning.

')