Toontrack - Metal Guitar God 2013 - Contest

• Thread starter Lorcan Ward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I can't help but here Misha's solo over this. Everything else just sounds wrong to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
I can't help but here Misha's solo over this. Everything else just sounds wrong to me.

Agreed. The tone, phrasing and note choice all sit appropriately over the chord changes. All these shreddy entries just don't sound as good to me.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I want a 7 string jackson so bad,but I can't solo for the life of me.Life always throws me a curveball.This sadness is real :____(

troyguitar

Reaction score
Fortunately I've never heard the original song so I don't have any idea what it's "supposed" to sound like :lol:

I might have to enter this, it's a good excuse to start playing guitar again since I haven't played in months. Out of the stuff posted here I like isispelican's solo the best.

Metalliac

Reaction score
Tasteful, and follows the changes well. Good stuff!

Thanks! I liked the feeling of the original solo, so I didn't want to stray too far from it rhytmically, but it honestly took a little planning to get through the changes! :shred:

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
@Metalliac, yours is really good man!, Im gonna watch a few more but you definitely got a vote from me :D (you need to vote on Toontrack's web or give a like on youtube?)

Metalliac

Reaction score
@Metalliac, yours is really good man!, Im gonna watch a few more but you definitely got a vote from me :D (you need to vote on Toontrack's web or give a like on youtube?)

Hey! Thanks for your support! Voting starts October 21 in the competition website and lasts for a month, so I guess that's when the "vote for me" spamthreads start to show up :D

It's kind of a weird system but then again it's fair since solos that were submitted earlier would have more time to gather votes if the voting was already on.

JoeJohn777

Reaction score
I made a thread for mine last night but it looks like everyone is posting their entries here. Sorry about that. Hope you guys like it.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
This is one of those tunes where constant shred just sounds awful to me. The changes are definitely not standard, so I feel like it might help people to draw attention to the changes rather than play a "look what I can do" solo. If the changes sound cool and you follow the changes, you'll sound cool.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Just one piece of advice ...

When you land on a note, landing on one that belongs to the key is usually not enough. For example, if the chord is Cmaj7 and you land on F, it is going to sound really bad regardless of it being part of the key (for reasons too long to detail here).

What you want to do is land on a note that is part of the chord, or an extension of the chord. To keep it simple, if you are just learning about harmony, just hit the third/seventh/fifth of the current chord and you will be fine.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I've been watching loads of these when I get the time. I can definitely say the contributions in this thread so far blow away at least half of them. I'm sure an SSOer is going to win. So far I think Lord Voldemort has the best one out of all I've seen.

:agreed: It's the only one I've seen so far that doesn't hint at the original solo.

davemeistro

Reaction score
Damn, it looks like the competition is going to be pretty stiff! Regardless, I thought I'd try my hand at it, hope you guys dig it!

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Some interesting stuff so far. I'm still battling with mine...with my luck I won't have something I'm satisfied with until it's too late.

')