Toontrack - Metal Guitar God 2013 - Contest

• Thread starter Lorcan Ward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davemeistro

Reaction score
IMO I think they could've chose a better song for the contest as I all I can hear is the original solo. Almost every solo sounds somewhat out of place and dissonant but there are a couple good entries though. Hats off to everyone who attempted and made a video.

To be honest, I don't think they could have chose a better section just because of how... interesting the chord changes are. The fact that you keep hearing the original solo is a testament to how well-written it is. This solo section and its chord changes definitely helps weed out all the weedly-weedly shred solos that don't really think too much about the chord changes or where their solo is going.

Maybe I'm just extremely biased because I'm pretty terrible at shredding, but I hope that after the voting round of eliminations we aren't only left with the sweepy/tappy "out of place and dissonant" solos you're talking about.

Either way I agree, hats off to everyone here who has submitted a solo here; this forum is too damn talented :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
I liked it up to about 19 seconds. After that it's still good, but it doesn't vibe as well.

Daken1134

Reaction score
Here's my entry! Any feedback on it would be super awesome :)

Also, is anyone else having trouble linking their youtube accounts to the Toontrack site? I keep getting "403 Forbidden" when I accept the Strutta Promotions app thing.

Edit: I've been trying every few hours and still can't get it to link. I'm getting a 404 error instead of the 403 right now, though. Any suggestions?

dude ivebeen having the same problem for a day i just uploaded my vid to the website and posted it on youtube as well. but i would much appreciate any feedback on this issue as well

rifft

Reaction score
dude ivebeen having the same problem for a day i just uploaded my vid to the website and posted it on youtube as well. but i would much appreciate any feedback on this issue as well

yeah, I think i might do that if I can't get it sorted out. Would prefer to keep it all consolidated in one place tho and I think uploading to the toontrack site kills the quality.

Messaged toontrack on fb a day or two ago w/ no reply. I did contact Strutta though and hopefully they can work something out. I checked the recent entries and the most recent few pages have no youtube vids so I'm guessing the issue is not on our part. Will keep you posted if I hear anything back from them.

Edit: Just got an email back from them saying:
Strutta support said:
Our developers are looking into this but in the meantime I advise that you upload your videos via desktop to get in as soon as you can.

Primitive Guitarist

Mastering Mastering
Reaction score
Idk why I'm sharing mine, because this video got me my first ever thumbs down on youtube... but here is mine...

Same for me. Hard to judge my own stuff. My mates say it's good, but they see my fingers moving fast and say "oh that's mean g". So tell me what you think (honestly)

I think I put some real wrong notes in there, and couldnt sync the video properly

Also every time i try enter the competition and try link it to my youtube I get an error - anyone else getting that? (or know how to fix it)
EDIT: just saw the above post

Also I didn't watch any other till I finished and uploaded this and..... wow there are so many amazing entries :bowdown:

Daken1134

Reaction score
yea you're not the only one having the youtube problem. and dont sweat the thumbs down man. if you dont have haters you're not doing it right haha, on the other hand artists are very in touch with their emotions. the hardest thing in the world is to be able to stand there and take criticism

CRaul87

Reaction score
Ok, so taking all the feedback into consideration I have resubmitted my entry and tried to be more melodic and rhythmic. On my first entry many ppl said it sounded dissonant although to my ears it was fine, however it did have the problem of not being rhythmically spot on so I guess that might have contributed to the overall perception of it being dissonant.

Anyway, this is my second take, if it still sounds dissonant then I guess I'm just quirky like that or I have a brain tumor:nuts:

Toontrack - Metal Guitar God 2013

Maniacal

Reaction score
edspeds is the best I have seen so far. The phrasing is excellent.

neonblack24

Reaction score
Here's my entry! Any feedback on it would be super awesome :)

Also, is anyone else having trouble linking their youtube accounts to the Toontrack site? I keep getting "403 Forbidden" when I accept the Strutta Promotions app thing.

Edit: I've been trying every few hours and still can't get it to link. I'm getting a 404 error instead of the 403 right now, though. Any suggestions?

Ahahahaha sweet amp dude! Also that solo was tasty!

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO I think they could've chose a better song for the contest as I all I can hear is the original solo. Almost every solo sounds somewhat out of place and dissonant but there are a couple good entries though. Hats off to everyone who attempted and made a video.

Yup, many are not paying attention to the chords.

Edspeds's entry is cool, by the way :hbang:

')