top 10 neoclassical guitarist?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
This guy. Ten times.

yngwie-malmsteen.jpg
This x100 with Impellitteri as an honorable mention. I'm sure the other guys are swell, though some I wouldn't classify as "neoclassical." That said, no one beats the equivalent of mixing the Swedish Meatball with the Swedish Chef that is YJM. He made single coils sound killer in a hard rock/80s metal context, DOD 250s a very worthy pedal to put on our pedalboards, and while the Marshall setup didn't need it at all, his use and abuse of them certainly didn't help. His Fenders are badass, but I really wish he'd use more than Donald Duck. He has a ton of cool strats and I'd love to see more of them out on the road with him.

I do however wonder why his studio room looks like he just piles guitars on top of eachother. That CAN'T be good for the finish and whatnot.

I'm not sure I agree with the way he treats his guitars, because it seems totally opposite of how most of us would treat our guitars. But hell, the dude has a bunch and could just call up Fender and get another so maybe he just sees them as a tool at this point. I'm sure special guitars like the original blonde strat with the Donald Duck sticker get better treatment.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I like seeing Jani make the list. The first four Sonata Arctica albums are super awesome, and it was a quick downhill after they booted him.

Alternative-Perspective

Reaction score
I'd say that's debatable. There are certain periods in time where I feel Yngwie was basically untouchable technique wise. I'd say during the first few years of his career and then he hit another peak in the late 90s when he released Alchemy. Romeo likewise used to be a more precise player in the Divine Wings of Tragedy days.

Romeo's technique repertoire is much wider than Yngwie's. Not to mention Romeo's knowledge of music theory, which is far greater than that of Malmsteen.

Yngwie barely does any tapping. His sweep picking is not very clean and he uses very simple shapes. The scalar work is also not very impressive. His best asset is his phrasing (great bends and vibrato).

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
From a classical perspective I've always viewed Luca Turilli as being way ahead of everyone else. His composition and theory is much closer to classical music than a lot of others who honestly were just transcribing Bach and Mozart licks into their songs.

Turilli is fantastic not just in his guitar lines but also in his musical arrangements. I agree with what others have posted here, Romeo, Stump are great as well.

I enjoy Syu from Galneryus a lot, his phrasing and melody choice are spot on.

Hizaki and Teru from Versailles are some other favorites. They have some mad chops.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
hizaki - versailles / jupiter (only woman on the list)
syu galneryus
uli jon roth - scorpions
luca turilli - rhapsody of fire
timo tolkki - stratavarius

...and of course yngwie at #1

what do you think of the list? anyone else should /shouldn't be on it? what are your favorites and how would you rank them? discuss

Umm... Hizaki is male. It's called visual kei. It's a Japanese thing sorta like cos-play. Sorry to burst your bubble. Lol. :erk::facepalm:

They rest of your list is cool. I'd add Chris Broderick and rank most of your "honorable mentions" somewhere on the actual list.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Romeo's technique repertoire is much wider than Yngwie's. Not to mention Romeo's knowledge of music theory, which is far greater than that of Malmsteen.

Yngwie barely does any tapping. His sweep picking is not very clean and he uses very simple shapes. The scalar work is also not very impressive. His best asset is his phrasing (great bends and vibrato).

I'll say this about Yngwie. He's the guy who looks the most effortless playing this stuff, and also the one who puts on the best show while doing it. Romeo is a God as well so I can see from Your perspective definitely.

Alternative-Perspective

Reaction score
I'll say this about Yngwie. He's the guy who looks the most effortless playing this stuff, and also the one who puts on the best show while doing it. Romeo is a God as well so I can see from Your perspective definitely.

If you play the very same simple sequences for decades in a row, it'd be a shame if you didn'T make it look effortless...

Rawkmann

Reaction score
If you play the very same simple sequences for decades in a row, it'd be a shame if you didn'T make it look effortless...

I guess? Like I said tho Yngwie was a phenomenal player even at the beginning of his career when he was like 17 so it didn't really take him 'decades'.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
For me...

Yngwie is #1. By a decent margin too.

Romeo is #2... followed by the rest of the pack.

Timmo and Luca should be higher (especially Timmo) not because of their individual skill, but overall contribution to the various bands they've been in.

... and these two listed below... just cause they are monster players, regardless of whatever band they are in... and you can watch them play solos for hours on end in amazement. Serious chops. Big league stuff fo-sho.

Hizaki - Versailles / Jupiter
Syu - Galneryus

Last edited:

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Umm... Hizaki is male. It's called visual kei. It's a Japanese thing sorta like cos-play. Sorry to burst your bubble. Lol. :erk::facepalm:

They rest of your list is cool. I'd add Chris Broderick and rank most of your "honorable mentions" somewhere on the actual list.

I've heard some fans say that he's actually transgender. I was wondering if that was really the case or if that's just how he prefers to dress.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I've heard some fans say that he's actually transgender. I was wondering if that was really the case or if that's just how he prefers to dress.

No clue if trans or not. The whole band is in the visual kei genre. Teru the other guitarist does the same thing as far as stage image goes... so...
:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Killer guitar player either way and regardless. :eddie::mf666:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
lol...it was a band i was not familiar with, but it was a mistake in the op vid.
at the 3:54 mark they clearly show her, but have his name listed. she is great though and after watching the vid pbc posted below...so is he. in fact i would like to get a dvd or cd by them. any suggestions?

Hizaki and Teru from Versailles are some other favorites. They have some mad chops.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
No clue if trans or not. The whole band is in the visual kei genre. Teru the other guitarist does the same thing as far as stage image goes... so...
:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Killer guitar player either way and regardless. :eddie::mf666:

Yeah, that's the thing, I know a lot of visual kei bands do that, I've just heard some people claim Hizaki's trans.

But yeah, excellent shredder... and, trans or not, not every man can make a dress work for them, so gotta give him that.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Yngwie had Far beyond the Sun written at 15 i believe.

A lot of people don't know but nearly all those Shrapnel guys were monstrous players when they were just 14/15, even writing some of their biggest songs at an early stage like you mentioned. Mike Varney was always on the lookout for new talent picking out kids like Yngwie and Gilbert. As soon as they were 18 he bought them a plane ticket and flew them to or across the states.

I like seeing Jani make the list. The first four Sonata Arctica albums are super awesome, and it was a quick downhill after they booted him.

Jani is a great player. He really got to show his playing chops on Picturing the Past and Revontulet.

Turilli is fantastic not just in his guitar lines but also in his musical arrangements.

His album Prophet of the last Eclipse is a masterpiece. All the instrument layers with the blend of metal, classical and dance music is incredible.

Those guys are tight, never heard of them before. A lot of funny comments from guys thinking they're girls lol

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
That username...fanboy detected.

Not entirely. I can realize Yngwie is up there among the most repetitive, washed up, watered down, arrogant, stubborn, sloppy-as-of-last 15 years, stuck in the past players. A real fanboy couldnt or wouldnt realize/say that. However yes still, hes my favorite.

That being said even hes my favorite, nobody could ever or will ever hold a candle to Shawn Lane as far as musical vocabulary, speed, phrasing.

')