top 10 neoclassical guitarist?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Oddly, Rhapsody's most entertaining album for me is Rain of a Thousand Flames, which has a rather blatant Dvorak symphony. It just wasn't Bach, so no one noticed.

Also, when I saw them about 10 years ago, Turilli didn't even attempt to play the neoclassical shred parts live. They just jammed rhythm tracks with no leads.

The Wizard's Last Rhymes is based on Dvorak's New World Symphony, two other tracks use are based on other work aswell. Thats odd about the leads, I've seen them live and he plays most of the leads with the second guitar player taking the rest.

Shameless self promotion which might interest neoclassical fans. I actually managed to record this. Thoughts?

Sick chops dude!

ultranoob

Reaction score
Should mention Vitalij Kuprij and his collaborations with Greg Howe, Tony Mcalpine, George Bellas, Michael Romeo. His albums are my favourite neoclassical shred. Word on the web is "Progressions" is written and to come out this year... we'll see...

ultranoob

Reaction score
Should mention Vitalij Kuprij and his collaborations with Greg Howe, Tony Mcalpine, George Bellas, Michael Romeo. His albums are my favourite neoclassical shred. Word on the web is "Progressions" is written and to come out this year... we'll see...

dreamchaser

Reaction score
I think I actually like Concerto Moon better without vocals as well, so those Shima demonstrations are my vehicle to hear that. :lol:
Sorry you feel that way. The vocals are a huge part of their sound for me. I take it you've never listened to From Father to Son or Rain Forest? The original singer, Takao Ozaki, was full of attitude and had a good vibrato.

Here's his old band, Zenith:

Adieu

Reaction score
Hizaki and Teru from Versailles are some other favorites. They have some mad chops.

Flashy and technical... but not very catchy, at least not the shreds

Imho jrock has lots of more interesting guitar work

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Don't forget the greatness that is At Vance, Gaia Prelude, and i guess as a bonus, Axel Rudi Pell

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
im starting to get some neoclassical stuff and was lookin at vids on yt. i ran across this "top 10" vid and thought id share. some of these guys i have not heard of and are really good (looking at a few of their other vids) and some you know and love. the vid is only 5:49 long. ive got the list of guitarists posted after the vid for discussions.

so here is the list...

10. vinnie moore - ufo / alice cooper
9. joe stump - holyhell
8. pual gilbert - mr. big / racer x
7. chris impellitteri - impellitteri
6. jani liimatainen - sonata arctica
5. jeff loomis - nevermore
4. michael batio - nitro
3. michael romeo - symphony x
2. jason becker - cacophony

but before #1 here are the honorable mentions lol...

hizaki - versailles / jupiter (only woman on the list)
syu galneryus
uli jon roth - scorpions
luca turilli - rhapsody of fire
timo tolkki - stratavarius

...and of course yngwie at #1

what do you think of the list? anyone else should /shouldn't be on it? what are your favorites and how would you rank them? discuss

I also vote to remove PG. He's multi-influenced, but more so from rock, blues, and jazz. He can shred when he wants... but that's not his shtick. Much like Marty Friedman - Dragon's Kiss had a lot of neoclassical - he proved he can shred neoclassical all day, he just has no interest. He's more into Eastern music and he's all about if you can say it with one note you don't need 80.

Ritchie Blackmore was one of the first, along with Uli Jon Roth. Not a huge fan personally, but he needs to be on any top 10 list.

Also... no Randy on the list? Fail. Yngwie may be most known to other guitarists, but Randy is/was the most popular and introduced neoclassical to the masses. When I grew up you were either on team Randy, EVH, or Yngwie.

Vinnie Moore is my second fav personally (just behind JB and in front slightly of Michael Romeo who is a "perfect" guitarist)... Mind's Eye is one of my fav instrumental albums of all time:

How about some love for Tony MacAlpine??? Dude shreds neoclassical on the guitar and even better on the keyboard.

For newer guys, Stephan Forte:

Some lesser knowns:
George Bellas
Rusty Cooley
David Chastain

OK... just download the entire Shrapnel catalog

Also... this dick:
hqdefault.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
So lets delve into everyone's weeb leanings and lets destroy your hopes and dreams, because you people dont know what good guitar work is out of Japan.

GayneSyus is a pop band pretending to be metal. Yama B was the heart and soul of the metal in that band, and he left because he hated Syu's commercial bullshit. The singer they have now is NOT a metal singer and he sounds like Yngwie trying to sing.

Versailles is a generic garbage V-kei band. When they were in still indies, their music had punch and aggressiveness. Once they got signed by Warner Japan, they turned into a pile of shit. (I know this for a fact, I was listening to them when they were indies and saw them live a few times back then).

Anyone who listens to babyshit and says they like them is officially not a metalhead and better just lock themselves in their house and fap to pictures of that jailbait like all the weirdos who do over here. Babyshit is NOT representative of Japanese metal, same with Lovebites. They are passing fads and arent representative of the REAL metal in this country, they just fit your foreigner stereotypes of Japan, so you gravitate towards them.

Now if you want great technical guitar work, listen to Vigilante. They are influenced by so many different bands and their work has a diverse range of sounds. Kaz Horie is also the first ever Japanese Kiesel(or Carvin) endorser.

Want some catchy stuff? Listen to Bellfast, Japan's only Folk metal band.

Want some thrash? Listen to outrage, the only REAL metal band to ever break the top 10 on the Oricon charts, as a THRASH band no less.

Want some REAL neo classical music without the yngwie wankery? Ancient Myth. Adrastea.

Want some great traditional metal? Anthem. Domestic booty is one of the greatest albums ever made in Japan and anyone who says they like J-metal and has never heard this album must forfeit their license to practice metal. Period.

dreamchaser

Reaction score
Anyone who listens to babyshit and says they like them is officially not a metalhead and better just lock themselves in their house and fap to pictures of that jailbait like all the weirdos who do over here. Babyshit is NOT representative of Japanese metal, same with Lovebites. They are passing fads and arent representative of the REAL metal in this country, they just fit your foreigner stereotypes of Japan, so you gravitate towards them.
I lost count of how many people asked me if I liked any of those terrible "artists", just because I told them that I listen to Japameta. They think that "kawaii metal" bullshit somehow accounts for the WHOLE country's scene. As soon as I put on a Sabbat song, they shut the hell up and go away. Seikima II is living proof of artistry, and if they can't comprehend a truly entrancing song like "Stainless Night", then they can get fucked for all I care.

You notice how it's mostly the same shit they always listen to? If they like modern Galneryus, they also like Unlucky Morpheus, Versailles, Band-Maid, Lovebites, Aldious, Mary's Blood, and other cliched bands. They're always the only bands that get "reaction" videos made for, and these same YouTubers are the types to CONSTANTLY refresh Twitter every five seconds to see if Saki posted a selfie of her new swimsuit. If and when they announce any of those "type A" or "type B" CDs, they rush to HMV Japan and place orders on both.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
So lets delve into everyone's weeb leanings and lets destroy your hopes and dreams, because you people dont know what good guitar work is out of Japan.

GayneSyus is a pop band pretending to be metal. Yama B was the heart and soul of the metal in that band, and he left because he hated Syu's commercial bullshit. The singer they have now is NOT a metal singer and he sounds like Yngwie trying to sing.

Versailles is a generic garbage V-kei band. When they were in still indies, their music had punch and aggressiveness. Once they got signed by Warner Japan, they turned into a pile of shit. (I know this for a fact, I was listening to them when they were indies and saw them live a few times back then).

Now if you want great technical guitar work, listen to Vigilante. They are influenced by so many different bands and their work has a diverse range of sounds. Kaz Horie is also the first ever Japanese Kiesel(or Carvin) endorser.

Want some catchy stuff? Listen to Bellfast, Japan's only Folk metal band.

Want some thrash? Listen to outrage, the only REAL metal band to ever break the top 10 on the Oricon charts, as a THRASH band no less.

Want some REAL neo classical music without the yngwie wankery? Ancient Myth. Adrastea.

Want some great traditional metal? Anthem. Domestic booty is one of the greatest albums ever made in Japan and anyone who says they like J-metal and has never heard this album must forfeit their license to practice metal. Period.

I lost count of how many people asked me if I liked any of those terrible "artists", just because I told them that I listen to Japameta. They think that "kawaii metal" bullshit somehow accounts for the WHOLE country's scene. As soon as I put on a Sabbat song, they shut the hell up and go away. Seikima II is living proof of artistry, and if they can't comprehend a truly entrancing song like "Stainless Night", then they can get fucked for all I care.

You notice how it's mostly the same shit they always listen to? If they like modern Galneryus, they also like Unlucky Morpheus, Versailles, Band-Maid, Lovebites, Aldious, Mary's Blood, and other cliched bands. They're always the only bands that get "reaction" videos made for, and these same YouTubers are the types to CONSTANTLY refresh Twitter every five seconds to see if Saki posted a selfie of her new swimsuit. If and when they announce any of those "type A" or "type B" CDs, they rush to HMV Japan and place orders on both.

I prefer kpop... ;)

Also, Babymetal's guitarist Mikio was pretty good...

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Apparently True Fans are the theme for this month around here.

There ever come a point where you take a step back, really look at what you're saying, and realise it basically boils down to "you're having fun the wrong way"?

I mean, for fuck's sake, what the hell is the point? Are you just venting? You gotta be, cause I know you're both smart enough to know that literally nobody responds to that kind of crap with "Huh, never thought of it that way. Tell me more about how my tastes suck."

Latest posts

')