Top 10 technical death metal bands?

• Thread starter BulletBelt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Death ofcourse, because it's in their name. :p

Just kidding, I see your point. But I still think it's a bit strange.

Lets for say for arguments sake Death released an instrumental version of symbolic for instance would you no longer consider it death metal just because of the absence of vocals?

Also, good to see some Spawn of Possession love here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Yeah, Blotted Science's instrumentation could really lure you toward saying that it is a technical death metal band. But beware!

Ok, nevermind wether they are death metal or not, i really recommend you check out their latest ep anyway, and especially the synced horror videoclips they have on youtube. If you like tech death I am sure you'll like it :hbang:

Reaction score
Ok, nevermind wether they are death metal or not, i really recommend you check out their latest ep anyway, and especially the synced horror videoclips they have on youtube. If you like tech death I am sure you'll like it :hbang:

Yeah I like Blotted quite a lot, and since the very beginnings (that's... one album earlier haha), it's just not labeled as technical death metal and I wanted to make the things clear :) Have you heard the rumour that they will be on tour with Amogh Symphony and Squarepusher early 2013? :O

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
It isn't 10, sorry. In no real order:

Death
Decapitated
Cynic
Obscura
Necrophagist
Gorod
Fleshgod Apocalypse

And Emmure obviously, since some wag was just bound to say it I thought I'd get in there first.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Say what you want but this song is cynic-y and sexy as fuck

Also Odious Mortem needs a mention

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
These three bands may not usually be very technical, but christ these songs kill technically:

And this song is beautiful:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Braindrill not being mentioned suprised me

Braindrill were great, especially before Jeff Hughell (and most of the other members) left, really added the tech on all levels feel.

I think they just got uninspiring really quickly, at least to me. For instance, I can listen to Obscura all day without it becoming "background music", can't say the same for Braindrill, like a lot of Viraemia stuff there's just a lot of stuff to digest really quickly and not a lot is worth it. Tech is awesome, especially when there's thought behind it.

Not saying I don't enjoy Braindrill or Viraemia at times, I just like a whole lot of Tech Death bands a hell of a lot more. :lol:

7stringsofdoom

Reaction score
Like the other lists, this is in no particular order:

Death
Atheist
Cynic
Martyr
Pestilence
Obscura
Hellwitch
Gorguts
Lykathea Aflame
Nile

Most of the death metal I listen to isn't considered technical, so these bands will have to do.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
1: Bolt Thrower
2: Bolt Thrower
3: Bolt Thrower
4: Bolt Thrower
5: Bolt Thrower
6: Bolt Thrower
7: Bolt Thrower
8: Bolt Thrower
9: Bolt Thrower
10: Bolt Thrower

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Fallujah, Gorod, Spawn of Possession, Beneath the Massacre, Through the Eyes of the Dead, and Fleshgod Apocalypse are probably on my list.

And I found this guy who has a Tech Death EP all about The Elder Scrolls games, it's called Tamriel. And it's pretty cool, but mainly because I enjoy the games.

oracles

Reaction score
In no particular order, Id have to say

The Faceless
Fallujah
Origin
Obscura
Necrophagist
Spawn Of Possession
Cynic
Cephalic Carnage
Decapitated