Top 5 Guitarists Who Have Influenced You? :O

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jtizzle

Reaction score
I have a weird approach to music. I don't really "admire" many guitarists. And even now, it's hard to think of 5 players that have influenced me, not only into playing, but in my technique and style too. But I think I have 5 players who have pretty much defined how I play, but not limit my style to the kind of stuff they play. I'm gonna go in a time line order.

Thomas Erak (The Fall Of Troy) - Back when I was playing guitar, and never practiced, I was horrible. At that time, I could barely play power chord and pop punk shit, despite the fact that I had been playing for well over 6 years. Then in '06 I found out about TFOT, who's music was really complex for me at that time, and I loved the music. So I learned all the songs I possibly could, which increased my playing speed so much and just helped me play way more complex stuff.

Paul Waggoner (Between The Buried And Me) - I later on got into more heavy music, and BTBAM was just mindblowing for me. They had everything I'm into and always wanted to listen to. Unconventional time signatures, heavy ass riffs, and shredding. I learned a couple of song parts from these guys, learning a whole song would've been too much for me haha. I learned stuff like the Alaska intro sweep, the Foam Born A breakdown around the middle-end of the song with all that chromatic movement, and the White Walls solo at the end of the song, which helped me in even better technical playing.

Wes Montgomery - Years later, I started college as a music major and my teacher gave me a bunch of music recommendations, since I was absolutely new to jazz, having heard it only like 3 times at most and never played it. Wes Montgomery was amongst those, and he blew my mind. His way of playing is just unbelievable. It's crazy how he can recycle licks so much. He plays the same minor sweep in every single solo he takes and it always sounds fresh. I transcribed one of his solos and learned about 5 or 6 songs of his. Analyzing them made me look at music in a whole different direction.

Joe Pass and Jim Hall - I had to put these two together cause they both complement each other in what I learned from them. Jim Hall plays the best chords on guitar out of any guitarist. I don't care what anyone says. The rhythm and voicings he plays are just extremely good. He does things that I would have never thought of. Joe Pass, while at the same time of playing awesome chords, can add a beautiful melody at the same time. Watching his DVD, he showed me a lot of ways to play chords to play a melody at the same time, which is not the easiest thing to do.

Tosin Abasi - AAL came out a few months after I got in college. I heard this album and I came. This was the best thing I've ever heard in my life. He hasn't really influenced the way I play at all, since I kinda suck still so I can't play his stuff, but just the fact that I've heard his stuff and have the power to analyze and appreciate it is enough for me. He's pretty much the lever I want to be at, so he's basically my goal haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Paul Waggoner (BTBAM) - Cause his sweeping along with everything else he does blows my mind...hes pure shred

Stephen Carpenter - I love his rythem and i think hes one of the best in the business at what he does, + hes in the Deftones...awesome

Trent Hafdahl (After The Burial) - Hes is just another one that blows my mind and is a chill dude

Marc Okubo (Veil of Maya) - increbile timing patterns and sweet riffage

Brian Eschbach (TBDM) - shredtaculous...thats all that needs to be said

Murmel

Reaction score
Whenever a listen to CoB I feel like practicing to be a guitar hero again :lol:.
I honestly don't think that Alexi does anything but drink and play guitar. He doesn't sleep nor does he shit.
He craps through his guitar (in a good way) and the alchohol brings him the sleep :bowdown:

What he does for feeding... Let's just say no one but him should know about that.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that Alexi does anything but drink and play guitar. He doesn't sleep nor does he shit.
He craps through his guitar (in a good way) and the alchohol brings him the sleep :bowdown:

What he does for feeding... Let's just say no one but him should know about that.

You're right haha

I saw in an interview or something a question like, "how's your life outside music?", and he answered, "what do you mean?" :lol: . In another occasion, someone asked him how he could afford to handle three bands (at the time he was in CoB, Sinergy, and Impaled Nazarene). He said, "dude, I don't do anything besides playing. I don't study, I don't work, nothing. Of course I have the time"

He's not the most technical or cleanest shredder out there, but his are my favourite fast riffs and solos by far! :hbang:

rockdisciple

Pad Thai Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff Beck - For innovate phrasing, and melodic use of the whammy bar

David Gilmour - For impeccable taste, and memorable solos

Derek Trucks - His style of fusion is bluesy, rock-oriented and incorporates interesting scales and styles without losing sight of good phrasing.

Mikael Åkerfeldt - Mike's songwriting keeps me interested in metal more than other band's, and his use of chords is always exciting.

Eric Johnson - His tone rocks, but what really does it for me are his awesome, open chord voicings. What makes it better is the fact that he looks at each note of a chord as part of an individual melody, and it shows in his voice-leading.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Trey Azagthoth

The Hoffman Brothers

Kelley & Rutan [Ripping Corpse]

Mike Davis [Nocturnus]

Buck Dharma [Blue Öyster Cult]

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Satriani
Eddie Van Halen
George Lynch
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton

xRANDY_SAVAGEx

GLADIATOR
Reaction score
These aren't listed in any order.

1.Andrew Mikhail - Oceano
2.Steven Funderburk / Joel Moore - Wretched
3.Chris Garza / Mark Heylmun - Suicide Silence
4.Brandyn Love / Mychal Wright - We Are The End
5.Tony Reid / John Burd - King Conquer

These are only a few of my main influences. I can go on for days naming guitarists whose style has influenced me so much but those are the ones that came to mind right away.

eclipsex1

Reaction score
Yay. Third post. Haha.

1. Misha: For a million and one reasons. His music is superbly clean, which is saying a lot for how technical he can get. Also, his music is so in-depth, it has so much going on at the same time, but it all fits in together, and it ends up sounding amazing. There is no part of any song of his that doesn't grab my attention and hold it, rather it be the amazing melodies and harmonies, or the nice djenty rhythms. Haha.

2. Jeff Loomis. Even if he doesn't do polyrhythmis, I always feels like he puts a good emphasis on the rhythm, as opposed to most people who just do something overly simple that doesn't even sound good. Also, his melodies are always great. Even if they're fast, they have a great amount of feel to them. Plus, he's just an amazing player. Amazingly clean, considering the shredding he does.

3. Stephen Carpenter. He can create such emotion in his music, by doing very little. Everything he makes seems to be amazing, and has a very unique feel to it. He's all around just amazing, haha.

4. Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarsist (not sure of the name) Just because they can make a nice groove like metal bands, make it sound good, and yet at the same time not be heavy at all.

5. Adam Dutkiewicz (Yeah, KSE haha) for making good music. Everything he makes is relatively simple to play, yet it sounds really good. His music is fun to play. Also, his music is heavy, but it's unique to the genre. Instead of pure chugga chugga riffs (which are great also) he includes a lot of clean riffs, and also often has a little more technicality to his riffs than just chugging on a drop-tuned guitar.

Or, that's what I think. :eek:

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
in no particular order...

1.Zach Ordway - I have yet to hear a player use scales to bridge leads the way he does....what i would give to be able to write like him lol :bowdown:

2.I know its been said a billion times but Marc Okubo. Love his approach to poly's and his tone is raw and clean. Truly inspired me to just think outside of the box.

3. Ryan and Stuart from Misery signals... Controller is like my go to album. Love the tone, the arrangements, their use of verbs and delays...just perfect.

4. Chris from Beneath the massacre...inspired me to tap whenever i wanted....screw if its tasteful. :fawk:

5. and finally AJ from the human abstract...just all around well rounded player. :yesway:

other mentionables.
The dudes from BoO, Tosin (derp), Misha (self taught and amazing), the dudes from circle of contempt, Ken susi (made me want to go harder live :lol: ), After the burial, the guys from BTBAM the dudes from both necrophagist and the faceless.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This isn't a definitive list, as my top five of all time would be basically impossible to settle on, but at the moment...

1) Steve Morse. Tone, technique, use of delay, chromatic approach and compositional brilliance.

2) Eric Johnson. Tone, smoothness, chord voicings, phrasing.

3) Alex Lifeson. Riffing style, chord voicings, tone.

4) Ihsahn. Riffing, compositional genius.

5) Jim Matheos. Mostly for his work with OSI.

Lord_Elixer

I am weasel!
Reaction score
In no particular order...
Joe Satriani,
Paul Gilbert,
Jason Becker and Marty Friedman (Speed metal symphony helped me so much...)
Eric Clapton,
and Stanley Jordan...Can't wait to get another guitar so I can try his style! :-D

Chiba666

Reaction score
This isnt easy as easy as it first seemed.

Hetfield - Down picking and well MOP.
Ishahn - Showed that BM could rise above the necro sound and that nothing was out of bounds.
Abath - One man frost making machine, the acoustic passage in Solarfall and the At the Heart of Winter intro, while not the most technical of guitar playing just fit and made me look at how I arrange my own songs and how it dosnt have to be pedal to the floor at all times.
Adrian Smith - Along with Hetfield made me pick up a guitar.
Michael Amott - To me this man has had a hand in writting some of the greatest melo death songs around, and forms a great guitar team with his brother. Plus he played on Heartwork and that adds big plus points.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easier than I thought, actually:

1.) Ritchie Blackmore - the reason I got serious about playing back when I was a teenager, and you can still hear his imprint on my playing now, especially when I'm descending.

2.) Chris Poland - I didn't actually realize it until Noodles pointed it out. Wish I could bend like him, though. :lol:

3.) Alex Skolnick - I still sound like Skol when I sweep, and he was the one that introduced me to it back in 1987.

4.) James Hetfield - My right hand stuff in rhythm playing is 100% Hetfield - his brutally precise rhythm work on the first for Metallica albums is still the gold standard.

5.) Tim Calvert - Influenced me way more than I realized until I went back and listened.

For the record, #6 would be Adrian and Dave from Maiden, and #7 would be Lifeson.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
These days, my list is probably something like this:

Jeff Beck - no explaination required. He's just the coolest
John Scofield - this cat grooves, enough said.
Pat Metheny - Very melodic player. I could listen to him play for hours. Like Jim Hall on steroids. His influence on me extends into my rock/pop/folk songwriting as well.
Allan Holdsworth - His lead style is what got me into him initially, but his unique chord choices are where i draw my influence.
Dimeola/Gambale - I'll lump these guys together purely because they both played with chick corea and elements of both of thier styles (as well as chicks) are part of my style

aslo Fripp/Belew for thinking outside the box

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Terrance Hobbs (Suffocation)
Bill Frisell (a load of John Zorn projects, solo stuff)
Vogg (Decapitated)
Luc Lemay (Gorguts)
Marlon Friday (Abhorrent)

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Easier than I thought, actually:

3.) Alex Skolnick - I still sound like Skol when I sweep, and he was the one that introduced me to it back in 1987.

4.) James Hetfield - My right hand stuff in rhythm playing is 100% Hetfield - his brutally precise rhythm work on the first for Metallica albums is still the gold standard.

:yesway: right on! my 6th would be alex

im an old guy now so mine will reflect that :lol:

mostly the early stuff from these guys, in this order - how i discoved them

1. phil collen - def leppard: they got me into guitar. after many years i got the infamous ibby dt-555bk

2. mick mars - motley crue: alot of killer riffs & hooks

3. kk downing - judas priest: awesome twin guitar attack w/ glenn tipton - got a flying v, even if it is an epi

4. kirk hammett: great, memorable guitar work & i dont care what the haters think. got a custom shop, neck thru mkII esp

5. james hetfield: what can you say...the palm muting king - my first guitar was an explorer knock-off of his

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Dave Murray/Adrian Smith/Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Chris Amott (Arch Enemy)

')