Top 5 Guitarists Who Have Influenced You? :O

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Jimmy Page - love his voicings, melodies, progression. Easily the biggest influence on my playing.

Mikael Akerfeldt - I love his general sound. You can tell he's playing guitar when you're listening. He has that eerie/powerful style that really stuck with me.

John Petrucci - God

Misha Mansoor - Changed how I listen to and write metal. Probably got me to think about my playing and what I want out of it a lot more than anyone else.

Adam Jones - I still need to listen to my inner Adam Jones influence more.. simple is awesome, sometimes. Always plays the right note or chord.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Adam Jones

Dimebag

Mikael Akerfeldt

Tom Morello

Munky (the reason i got into 7 strings :hbang:)

As easy as it is, Kurt Cobain inspired me heaps as a lot of the first songs i learnt to play were nirvana. Huge fan of Wes Borland, Kirk Hammett and Daron Malakian as well.

While I'm at it, Jeff Buckley...amazing guitarist

Daken1134

Reaction score
1. Goncalo Pereira
2.Thomas Erak
3. Dave Martone
4. Christophe Godin
5. John Pizzarelli

grey dog

Reaction score
in no order:

Euronymous (mayhem) - really all of the original black metal bands have a massive influence on my playing but if i had to pick one it would be euronymous.

johnny ramone (ramones) - i play a lot of punk stuff and he has the best punk style of playing.

tristan (the nugs) - just a small band from newcastle but as soon as i got home from seeing them live i piucked up the guitar and started p;laying their songs.

wes borland (limp bizkit) - say what you will about limp bizkit, they do have shit lyrics but wes is a brilliant guitarist.

tony rombola (godsmack) yep...very influencial.

wizbit81

Reaction score
kirk hammet - oops
satch - still kind of oops
Holdsworth - the best
krantz - genius
Ackerfeldt - opeth just rule!!!

s4tch

Reaction score
Now I consider myself as a bedroom rocker, I do not have influences anymore, instead I have some idols. So my influences go back to the early '90s when I was a wannabe guitar hero.

1. Satriani
2. Malmsteen
3. Petrucci
4. Pete Lesperance of Harem Scarem
5. Alex Skolnick of Testament

Man, it's too hard to leave out Nuno and Friedman... So after some reconsideration, here's the true list:

1. Satriani - best songwriter of them all, and those legatos, once you've learned them, they make you feel you can play just about anything. (That's wrong, though.)
2. Malmsteen - his technique was groundbreaking, fine songwriter, too, and that speed...
2,5. Petrucci - Images and Words & Awake, need I say more?
3. Nuno - Van Halen meets Brian May and Al DiMeola, just WOW.
4. Lesperance - Mood Swings is the best hard rock record ever, all the solos are just perfect, this guy rules the world. I wish I could play Had Enough.
4,5. Friedman - unmistakeable style, huge melodies, so different than all the shredders in the '90s. Tornado of Souls, Lucretia, Hangar 18, Ashes in your Mouth, etc. I all learned them, shit, they were hard to play.
5. Skolnick - one of the best guitarist in any '90s thrash band, so intelligent, so underrated...

If I were a young lad nowadays, I'd probably pick Guthrie, Andy Timmons, Marco Sfogli, Petrucci and Scott Henderson.

MrRCJ

Reaction score
In no order..
1. Guthrie Govan
2. Marty Friedman
3. John Petrucci
4. Paul Gilbert
5. Dimebag Darrell
6. Randy Rhoads
7. Greg Howe

theleem

Reaction score
1. Doyle from The Misfits- I spent my first year of guitar playing in a band that covered like 20 Misfits songs.
2. Satriani-first real shredder I listened to.
3. Chuck- inspired me to start playing death metal.
4. Tosin Abasi- convinced me to buy a 7 and an 8.
5. Tony Iommi- really who started me on playing and listening to metal.

Ambit

Beansack!
Reaction score
No order at all...

Andrew Goddard/Mark Hosking - Karnivool
John Petrucci - Dream Theater
Adam Jones - Tool
Joe Satriani
Steven Wilson

Gitte

Reaction score
I have to say, right now the only guy for me is Josh Travis (TDTE, Glass Cloud). So freaking creative!!

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
At the moment-

Lee McKinney: Sense of melody, tapping ideas, groove, syncopation, etc.
Marc Okubo: Riffing style
Misha Mansoor: Tapping ideas, chord ideas
Jason Richardson: Shred
Joe Cocchi: General style, riffing, shred

My style has turned out to be a sort of heavy, groovy seven string thing with a lot of shred. Just my kind of thing :agreed:

thedonal

Reaction score
David Gilmour
Jimmy Page
Gary Moore
Joe Walsh
Eddie Van Halen

Next five would be

Peter Green
Buck Dharma
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai