Top 5 Guitarists Who Have Influenced You? :O

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Head & Munky (KoRn, Love & Death)
Dino Cazares (Fear Factory, Asesino, Divine Heresy)
Galder (Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child)
Infernus (Gorgoroth)
Steve Vai

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Ryan Morgan (Misery Signals)
Misha Mansoor
Mikael Akerfeldt
Tom Searle (Architects)
Devin Townsend

brutus627

Givah some!
Reaction score
1. Scott Hull
2. Muhammed Suicmez
3. Marten Hagstrom/Fredrik Thordendal
4. Galder
5. Michael Keene

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Dimebag
Paul Gilbert
Chris Storey
Michael Romeo
Zakk Wylde

Honorable mentions:
Eddie Van Halen for the inspiration to pick up and play guitar.
Dino Cazares for my influence on heavy metal
Jeff Loomis for execution

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Marc okubo Of veil of Maya
Tosin of animals as leaders
Michael Keene of the faceless
Muhammed Suicmez of necrophagist
And Jeff loomis/Jason Becker/John petrucci tied Even though this isn't in any order.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
1) Mick Thomson - Slipknot was the first extreme metal band that I got into and seeing Mick play live got me to buy a guitar in the first place. I splurged on a Mick Thomson Signature Series BC Rich Warlock. Woo!

2) Dimebag Darrell - made me wanna play my guitar better, and add groove to my style which to this day i can't help but incorporate into my playing. Also got me into playing solos :shred: I used to avoid them like pariahs...

3) Steve Vai - Didn't know you could make noises like that with a guitar... also taught me to make the most out of every note that I play. Play leads with purpose as opposed to just doing scale runs.

4) Stephen Carpenter - All groove and big ass chords.

5) Video Games - yup. Games like Mega man, F zero, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Sonic and Knuckles, X-men, and many others... their soundtracks have some pretty sweet melodies. :hbang:

Reaction score
1. Marty Friedman & Dave Mustaine, the amazing scales that they made:metal:

2. Chris broderick, His amazing sweeps and two handed finger tapping :fawk:

3. Dimebag Darrell, His Ear pinching Dimebag Squeals:hbang:

4. Steve Vai, his smooth slide solos:eek:

5. Gary holt, wammy bar manipulation/ abuse :shred:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Marty Friedman (Marty/Dave and Marty/Jason) - For Shred, soloing, Tornado of Souls and Dave's input to Metal
John Petrucci - For the whole Prog thing
Chris Letchford - For instrumental stuff
Pat Martino - If you've ever watched or listen to Pat Martino , you'll know.
Steve Howe - When Yes first clicked with me, I haven't been able to get enough. A lot of that is Steve Howe's playing, like the into to Roundabout, or the solos in Siberian Khatru and Yours Is No Disgrace. Or just all of Sound Chaser. Or Clap. Or Wurm.

Tosin Abasi is probably an equal 1st with all of these guys and on any day my top five list could be any permutation of these guys.

So that's 8, then.

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
Paul Waggoner / Dustie Warning (BTBAM)
Dan Weller / Graham Pinney (SikTh)
Tosin Abasi
Brent Hinds / Bill (Mastodon)
Paul Masvidal (Cynic)

frozenfrets

I can't play geeetar
Reaction score
1. Mark morton
2. John petrucci
3. Gus G
4. Zakk wylde
5. Dimebag darrell

But it's mostly mark morton, since I'm a rhythm guitarist, been digging on lamb-of-god-ish sounding riffs

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
1. John Petrucci

Back when i had played guitar for only two years, a friend of mine told me to check out Dream Theater, so i bought their album "Awake" ...at first i didn't like it really, but then i listend to it some more, and once i heard those incredible solos i was instantly blown away. How could someone do that? So incredible... I've been a huge fan of Petrucci/DT ever since. Also, Petrucci made me take my playing seriously, that's when i also started playing and practising a lot more.

2. Steve Vai

Back when I used to take guitar lessons (my very first years of playin guitar) my teacher told me one day to check out Steve Vai, and the next time he borrowed me the CD "Passion and Warfare" ..It was incredible, i really didn't understand how he could do all those things, make those sounds out of a guitar, and shred like a god.

3. Paul Gilbert

Never really properly checked out PG untill i saw his video for Technical Difficulties (probably 2006) and started practising that song instantly. He's technique is almost flawless and you can see the endless hours of practising every day when you watch him play. Later i bought some of his instructional DVD's and they actually helped me a lot with many techniques I had problems with in the past.

4. Mattias IA Eklundh

He's weird and crazy guitar playing was something that really caught my attention when I first heard it on Freak Kitchen's album "Move" a few years ago. And he's solo stuff is even more crazy, he's technique is unique and flawless. Some say he copies Steve Vai, but I disagree with that.

5. Chris Broderick

What is there to say really? :D ...When i started to get into 7-string guitars, i checked out some guitarists who mainly use them. Jeff Loomis and Chris really caught my eye with their incredible playing and technique and further wanted me to get a 7-stringer, so I did.

There's plenty of other guitarists that have influenced me in the past and present, but those are the first 5 i could think of.

I might edit this post later.

Oh yeah, and don't just write some lists people! Explain. Otherwise there's no point in reading this topic, really :D

jboroff

Reaction score
1) Michael Schenker - My favorite tone, amazing note choices and his playing always fits the song
2) Paul Gilbert - The total package. Probably my favorite overall guitar player. I love the way he makes classic simple pop songs interesting. I believe he can play virtually anything.
3) Steve Vai - I don't love everything he does but you can't deny his mastery and when the songs are good he's amazing to listen to.
4) Randy Rhoads - Blizzard of Ozz came out when I was 11 and it's one of the albums that made me want to play. Diary was even better IMO.
5) Eric Johnson - Removed my belief that the gain always had to be on 10. He can be repetitive live but in the context of songs like Cliffs of Dover he's a genius.

')