Top 5 Guitarists Who Have Influenced You? :O

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Misha Mansoor - I know it might seem whack to name someone from your own band but to put things in perspective - I was a fan of Misha's work before I joined Periphery and that's why I knew I had to be in a band with him. Everything is usually off the cuff, rarely premeditated, and he can finish ideas or songs in a matter of hours without it seeming rushed. His style is part of what I enjoy most about playing guitar.

Awwww :wub:

Well one thing I can say; I think most of the forum is here with you on that one! Including myself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
1- James Hetfield- He is one of the main reasons I play guitar. Both his style and skill are flawless and the music he/Metallica has written has inspired me to progress as a guitarist since day 1. Almost everything from his style of picking to his stage presence has influenced me. I've done the James Hetfield stance countless times in private, although, I have yet to unleash that beast live :lol:. Meh also, the reason I play in Eb is because of James Hetfield, they play in that tuning live and I tuned to that tuning so I could play to their live stuff. Never tuned back to standard... I like Eb though, you get a nice heavy and low sound.

2- Kirk Hammett- Same as Hetfield, I've always had two main goals when it came to guitar and music; to inspire people through music the way my favorite bands have inspired me and to become a better guitarist than Kirk Hammett... I've accomplished one so far... hahaha. Also same as Hetfield, I feel that I have taken a piece of his stage presence, when I'm playing mellow parts or melodies I find I have the laid back stance that Kirk has when he's playing those types of parts in his songs.

3- Tom Morello- RATM is one of my favorite bands and their music has definitely influenced me to some degree. I feel that through learning RATM songs and seeing the way Tom Morello uses a "think outside of the box" approach to his playing I've taken a piece of his style. The music I play is nothing like RATM but I've always had a huge interest in guitar effect pedals and I've always wanted to be able to create my own sounds and style through effects. Atmosphere is a huge part of the music my band writes so guitar effect pedals are a huge part of my rig and when it comes to applying effects to my guitar parts I often use the "think outside of the box" approach.

4- Jon Nödtveidt (Dissection)- Jon influences me everyday. I always tell myself I want to write a song in the vein of Dissection but when I think of riffs I end up throwing them out because I don't feel they are as good as the band that influences them. I hope to one day be half the guitarist/composer that this man was. Jon was able to take an "evil" form of music and make it absolutely beautiful. Everything is perfect; the tone, the notes chosen, the melodies, and the solos.

5- Mark Morton- Though I've grown to hate groove metal, it seems it's over saturated every band/genre, at one point Lamb of God was a huge influence in the music I wrote. There were a number of years where I composed music in the same style as this band. I'll probably never drop tune my guitar again unless it's to jam to LOG or some other band that uses this tuning. Also, because of Mark Morton I learned to boost my mids. I used to scoop my mids back before he told us this info (used to post on the LOG forum).

Honorable mentions- as sad as it is Kerry King has a huge influence on the music I write for my thrash band... Even though I try not to end up sounding like Slayer it happens involuntarily :squint::squint::squint::scratch::scratch::scratch:

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
not enough love for Marty Friedman here. best solo player in metal ever imo. the perfect combination of being impressive technically but still melodic and memorable.

Reaction score
Slash
David Gilmour
Hendrix
Albert King
SRV
Mustaine
Smith/Murray
Charlie Hunter

i dont know how to count

Guitarman700

Reaction score
Re doing my list.

1.Anders Bjorler
2.Stephen Carpenter
3.Daniel Gildenlow
4.Buz and Ken from Unearth
5.Bjorn and Jesper from In flames

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
In no particular order:

John Petrucci - Dream Theater ---> big shocker right there. Best guitarist in the world, for several reasons that are unnecessary to list.

Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen ---> So innovative, great tone, great melodies and style.

Stephen Carpenter - Deftones ---> Inspired me to pick up the guitar/get into metal. Love his tone and his simplicity. Great melodies and style.

John Mayer - Love his weird chord voicings and weird key changes. A natural musician. Perfect live in concert. Music literally pours out of his soul 24/7.

Mike Eiziger - Incubus --->Love his use of effects, love his unusual chords. Inspired me to start buying/using effects.

Nazca

Reaction score
I can't name 5, so I'll name the main ones.

Adam Jones (made me pick up a guitar)
John Petrucci - huge influence on technique and tone and just godly
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Allan Holdsworth
Guthrie Govan
Jason Becker
Kiko Loureiro
Per Nilsson
Michael Akerfeldt
Jeff Loomis
Chris Broderick

BlackWinds10

Kick em in the nuts!
Reaction score
1. Pat O'Brien (Cannibal Corpse)
2. Nergal (Behemoth)
3. Corey And Matt (Trivium)
4. Mick Thompson (Slipknot)
5. Steffen Kummerer (Obscura)

And a couple others are

Jeff Loomis
Chris Garza
Emil Werstler
Ihsahn
Michael Ammot

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
This was surprisingly easy. All of my choices are not based on abilities but instead on songwriting ability.

1. Jeff Loomis
2. Nergal
3. Keith Merrow (in this recent portion of my playing)
4. Mikael Akerfeldt
5. Tom Waits (yes, he does play :lol:)

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
4- Jon Nödtveidt (Dissection)- Jon influences me everyday. I always tell myself I want to write a song in the vein of Dissection but when I think of riffs I end up throwing them out because I don't feel they are as good as the band that influences them. I hope to one day be half the guitarist/composer that this man was. Jon was able to take an "evil" form of music and make it absolutely beautiful. Everything is perfect; the tone, the notes chosen, the melodies, and the solos.

Really out of place on your list, but highly commendable :hbang:

Trev

Reaction score
This list is in no order:

5. Christian Kuhn (Defeated Sanity) because of how he can blend elements of the most brutal death metal with jazzy poly rhythms and make it sound incredibly memorable and catchy. Also his ability to write catchy, off the wall, syncopations is incredibly unique in death metal.
4. Mike Hoggard (Ulcerate) for his seemingly unparalleled ability to blend melody and dissonance seamlessly in a polyrhythmic riff
3. Jon Levasseur (Cryptopsy) for his uniqueness. Some of the stuff on Whisper Supremacy and ... And Then You'll Beg is just absolutely mind blowing to me; it's just super technical off the wall death metal without losing sight of song writing integrity.
2.Pin/Dan from Sikth because before I heard them I never thought it would be possible to incorporate so many diverse influences in a metal context and make it somehow sound cohesive and flow seamlessly.
1.Not trying to be a kiss ass here but Nolly has some incredibly unique ideas as far as melody and phrasing go and they have influenced me to improve the way I write my own leads. His lead playing just has a deliciously smooth, flowing quality to it that I love.

Meatbucket

The Minotaur
Reaction score
#5 Devin Townsend.
#4 Peter Wichers from Soilwork.
#3 Adam D from Killswitch.
#2 An old roommate of my dad's back in the day named Brandon. If he wasn't around during my freshman year in high school, I dunno where I'd be musically.
#1 My Grandpa.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
Really out of place on your list, but highly commendable :hbang:
Thanks, I blame winter. I've been a fan of Dissection for a number of years but I've been listening to them everyday on repeat. Hell I even did a cover of their song which I'm logging my progression on youtube haha.

Backlash01

Reaction score
1. Dimebag Darrell - Pantera/Damageplan - Simply amazing in my opinion, had it not been for him, i would have never picked up a guitar
2. Mark Morton / Willie Adler - Lamb of God - the most worthy successors of Pantera, and too talented for words, have influenced my playing/writing style so much.
3. Peeper Keenan / Kirk Windstein - Down - keeping groove and sludge metal alive, so heavy yet bluesy and powerful at the same time, they are terribly underrated.
4. Steven Carpenter - Deftones - so much emotion and power in his work.
5. Zakk Wylde / Nick Catanese - Black Label Society - they prove that you can just as heavy as the other guys without being super technical, even though they dont get much respect, they are amazing.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Tom Morello- He inspired me to go and pick up the guitar and do crazy stuff with effect pedals and stuff

Jimmy Page- Took me out of that masking your playing with a bunch of effects and start to get serious

Dave Mustaine- probably my biggest metal role model, He took my playing even further former to play metal,but also in a technical sense too. Fact that Deth is my fave band and opened me to metal is a huge influence.

Mike Amott/Alexi Laiho- Inspired me to venture into death metal/black metal etc. The reason i have two is because they both inspired me the same way at the same time equally.

Any band i'm listening to right now- My lead playing is influenced by Marty to Suicimez to holdsworth to well anything. I'm trying to find my own style of lead work, though it is a more Middle eastern mixed with jazz/classical approach and blend it in.

Threex4

Reaction score
1. Paul Gilbert for being a badass.
2. Adam Jones for killer but simple riffs and textures
3. John Petrucci for sick leads and alternate picking
4. Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield for essentially creating thrash
5. Guthrie Govan for ridiculous versatility and technique

')