Top 5 Guitarists Who Have Influenced You? :O

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

travis bickle

Reaction score
andy summers
allan holdsworth
king buzzo
fredrick thordenthal
greg ginn
james hetfield
trey azagthoth

just can't narrow it down to just 5.

Enter Paradox

Reaction score
John Petrucci
Mike Mushok/Pete Loeffler - the really-heavy-rocking movement
Misha and the rest of the Periphery guys
Mikael Akerfeldt-Steven Wilson combo
Jesper-Bjorn combo
Andy James
Per Nilsson
Stephen Carpenter
Mark Knopfler
David Gilmour
Lindsey Buckingham
can't count 'til 5 :fawk:

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
1. Dimebag, his tone was always so unique and I loved his ability to play solos with both speed AND emotion.
2. Tony Iommi, the king of the guitar riff, and the greatest influence on my rhythm playing
3. Dave Mustaine, just for his all-around versatility, and his amazing rhythm playing and picking style
4. Randy Rhodes, well, need I say more, a true virtuoso, inspired me to push myself outside of the metal world and experiment with other genres
5. Phil Demmel, the speed, fluidity, and especially his tapping style, as well as his admirable muting techniques.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
No order except the first one,

Joe Perry; remember when living on the edge video came out and he was playing the solo and the train was coming thought it was so bad ass

John 5: he is just insane and has a shit load of tele's

Stephen Carpenter: the diversity and the abilty to make a simple butmemorable riff in most every song

zakk wylde: love the sothern rock feel

dino cazares:

1968 Charger B5

Reaction score
Leon Kemp
Dave Mustaine/Chris Broderick/Marty Friendman
Per Nilsson
All the other typical influences...

JmCastor

Reaction score
Top 5, kinda hard but i'll go in chronological order :hbang:
1.Jimi Hendrix- when i heard Voodoo child in 9 grade(thanks mr. clem), i knew that i HAD to get a strat immediately.
2. SRV- as a young budding guitar player, hearing so much feel come out of a strat and a tube amp is really amazing
3. Steve Vai- i downloaded Passion and Warfare :ugh: (bought it soon after) just to check it out, and was going through each song, not liking any of them until i came across one of them...For the Love of God literally changed my view and philosophy on guitar playing and what a song could be. a couple of listens and i eventually could listen to the whole thing all the way through...still do
4.Tony Macalpine- hope i don't sound racist or anything...but Tony, like Jimi, showed me that black people could do this thing, i no longer had to search for legitimacy, i could be a virtuoso like anyone else if i worked for it. and chromatcity is a great album
and 5. Tosin Abasi/ Guthrie Govan- these guys are tied in my book. guthrie for the ultimate feel..i butchered my first strat to make it fretless because of a certain guthrie video...and Tosin got me into weird rhythms that somehow made musical sense

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Aaron marshall
Chris Broderick
Rusty Cooley
Misha Mansoor
Marc Okubo

BHuard75

Reaction score
guys that made me want to play the guitar...

George Lynch & Rocky George [in no particular order]

Guys whose solos I'm tearing through now, Alex Skolnik & Marty Friedman's crap from the 90's

Reaction score
Yngwie Malmsteen
Al Dimeola
John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
Eric Johnson

But also need to mention:
Alex Skolnick
Zakk Wylde
Paco de Lucia
James Murphy

ttiwguitar

Reaction score
Mikael Akerfeldt for his melodic sense, phrasing, acoustic style, and buttery goodness
Alex Lifeson for his unrivaled solos, creative rhythm playing, longevity, and his bulge from the inner sleeve of 2112
Guthrie Govan for inspiring me so much that I want to quit playing. Great ass, too
Paul Gilbert for his alternate picking, humorous instructional videos, and general sex appeal
John Petrucci for teaching me the value of a metronome, how to not get laid, and his triceps.

Honorable mention to Misha Mansoor for various favors during my band's 2008 tour with them.

kessel

Reaction score
1. Omar Rodriguez Lopez (Mars Volta)
2. Kaki King
3. Marty Friedman
4. Steve Vai

and I forgot number 5, if there's a number 5 at all :)

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
Andy McKee for helping me see the acoustic guitar in a brand new light

Chuck Schuldiner for inspiring me to break out of my beginner power chord box and start experimenting with single note riffs

Muhammed Suiçmez for dropping my jaw and making me realize what can be done with enough skill

Stanley Jordan/Chris Arp for their 8 finger tapping (in their different ways)

')