Top Wrapping

• Thread starter zhughes17
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zhughes17

Reaction score
so... I changed strings today and I top wrapped my strings over my tailpiece . This is where my question comes from. I feel no difference in playability or hear any difference in tone. So why would you top wrap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chandler1389

Reaction score
the only difference it really makes is the break angle over the saddles, slightly reducing breaking of strings at that end of the body

soliloquy

Reaction score
the top wrapping method does nothing to the tone/sound (at least to my ears)
the only thing it does is, it increased the bending ability of strings, to allow you to do more vibrato (it has less tension on the strings). in doing so, it slightly (in theory at least) reduces the sustain.

however, gary moore strung his guitars like that, and he made his guitars sustain for almost 2 minutes....

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
This is another one of those age old guitar arguments. Some say it makes a difference, some say it doesn't. I'm in the camp that it makes no difference.

Majkel

Reaction score
I do it on my higher strings to give a bit less tension. Probably could be accomplished by just raising that side of the tail piece, but I've done it for so long I haven't really thought about that.

I read somewhere that Zakk Wylde does it as he feels it makes him break less strings, but I wouldn't vouch for that either.

Reaction score
Hi Im Jack and Im a top wrapper...

I saw pics of Duane Allman's goldtop lp many years ago and I started doing it. I believe Dan Erlewine claims its gives more sustain if the stoptail is lowered to the body. Voodoo... maybe :)

Altar

Reaction score
Because you have no bridge!:fawk:

Bridge.jpg

')