Torn between RGA8, RG2228, and Agile

• Thread starter Bombdotcom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bombdotcom

bomb.com/epicas....
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, but I've been checking the place out for months. You guys seem pretty knowledgable on the subject of 8 strings and I've decided to move from my 7 to an 8 now but I can't fucking pick which one I want.

The money isn't an issue, I have that taken care of, but I want the best quality for my buck. Everything from the tuners to the pickups, I want the best quality.

I'm leaning very close to the RG2228 but I also find the Interceptor series from Agile to be absolutely gorgeous. PLUS the interceptors come with a trem and 808s. BUT, I don't want to wait until May to get one.. Plus I missed the deadline deposit anyway.

Can someone tell me what to do and make my mind up for me? Haha. Right now it's the 2228 but if someone can persuade me towards Agile (And give me some ideas on how I can actually get an interceptor NOW) or the RGA, it'd be greatly appreciated!

:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SPBY

Reaction score
if i where you... i would definitely get the 2228. you (i) really dont want a trem with an 8 string, it would just be a massive pain in the ass. The RG has a slim neck to make the switch to an 8 not as drastic as it could be, and you can always refinish it (which is what i would do). The RGA8 is a good deal, but it comes with no case and the upper fret access isn't the best :/

This is just all my opinion however.

Nosedevil

Reaction score
I've tried the 2228 and own two Agiles. Personally, I've always disliked the Wizard necks, so that's why I choose Agile.

IMO, it all comes down to the neck and how comfortable you are with it. If you have a Ibby 7, you might go for the 2228. Agiles usually have a slightly rounder neck and a longer scale length. Plus, the scale length also affects greatly on the tone.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I'd go the RGA8. Better than the 2228 because it is mahogany (I don't like basswood myself) has a wizard II neck as opposed to the regular wizard neck on the 2228, plus it looks better and is half the price. I think if you got the RGA8, you could use whatever money you would've spent on a 2228 to make it into a real monster. Ibby will get rid of the 2228 next year mark my words.

Agile are also a good option, though you may not be able to try before you buy, I've seen a lot of shippin disasters by Rondo recently.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Personally I've played a RG2228 and personally leads sound good but the low f# with basswood didn't sound good to me really at all. Unless your driving you amp really hard which I did but didn't like it. Besides that I would go with the RGA8 set up and put some lungren pickups in it. Make it sound a whole lot better or agile with the same thing.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Well Weighing the pro's and con's

Agile does have a better Scale Length 28.625" Compared to Ibanez so you will get a better tone and feel especially if you plan to use a Low B and Low F#( I was scared of it at first but really dig it and am glad I got it now)

Also respectfully and because he just said in opinion to SPBY I've never dealt with a Kahler until now, but WOW its easy I mean real easy! It does not have all the non-sense I had to deal with with the Floyd Rose, and like I said this is just my opinion because some people are trem guys, some aren't Its no hassle at all, I really enjoy it!

But if you want a guitar now, I don't think you'll be able to get a Interceptor until may unfortunately unless you bought one used of course!
And at this point you may be a tad limited on color options if you do want to wait till May.

So if your asking me I say an Agile, But with these things I've said taken into mind lets now look at the Ibanez's.

The rg2228 is going to have the RGA8 Beat in almost everything, But I will agree with what someone else said if you got an RGA8 and put diffrent pickups in it, it can indeed most likely sound better.(Both Statements Opinions)

I have never played an rga8 but I can only imagine the rg2228 will feel better and be easier to play!(Opinion)

Honestly dude? With the guitars your looking at your not going to be dissapointed with whatever guitar you choose :yesway: They are all great!

So after this long and I feel at this point almost Un-productive debate :lol:

I will give you a blunt answer, If i was you, and this is ME.

I would go for the Rg2228( IF money isn't an issue)

Again this is opinion!

Take care and like I said you'll love whatever you get, and also Welcome to the forum and the 8 string world! They sure are great:agreed:

Steve-Om

Reaction score
If money is not an issue, have you considered any other brand ???

Cuz, if I were you and money was not an issue I would order a Sherman 8 string...or a Bernie Rico Jr 8.... :metal:

Just my opinion anyway !!!

Colton165

Resident burnout.
Reaction score
I'd go the RGA8. Better than the 2228 because it is mahogany (I don't like basswood myself) has a wizard II neck as opposed to the regular wizard neck on the 2228, plus it looks better and is half the price. I think if you got the RGA8, you could use whatever money you would've spent on a 2228 to make it into a real monster. Ibby will get rid of the 2228 next year mark my words.

Agile are also a good option, though you may not be able to try before you buy, I've seen a lot of shippin disasters by Rondo recently.
i had no idea the rga was mahogany. i like basswood (i have 2 basswood ibbys and my korina explorer), but i think for an 8, a denser wood is much more fitting.

i do prefer the carved top for a wider body as well, aesthetics are above the 2228 imo as well.

im totally agreeing 100%, get the RGA8 and swap those pups and maybe do some other electronic inspecting and do needed work/upgrades and turn that $700 guitar into something much better than a stock 2228 for under $2000.

i think personally before i get an rga8 (im getting one now, even if its way later); im going to acquire a decent rig amp/FX/guitar-upgrade wise (invader 100, vader or mesa cab, BKP/Dimarzio pups, possible trem upgrades, electronic work on my vol knob for 7420, etc.). trying to get into the live scene and all.

def go for that rga8.

derker

Reaction score
I've never played any of these guitars, but keep in mind the 2228 is an Ibanez prestige (MIJ) and built to higher tolerances than the RGA. I'm not sure where the RGA is made but it's probably China or Korea...which isnt necessarily a step down but is usually an indicator for the quality control.

I_infect

Reaction score
The Agile has a better overall design(intrepids) in my opinion... the 28"+ scale really makes a difference on that low F# or below. My only bitch about Agile is their quality control being inconsistent. You can always order the Agile first, if you hate it or it's not up to par, return it.

I like the idea of the RGA8, however I hate the Indo 7321s, and the RGA8 is Indo.

To me the safest bet would be the RG2228 but also the priciest.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I like the idea of the RGA8, however I hate the Indo 7321s, and the RGA8 is Indo.

Every XPT707 I've played was incredible (quite possibly the best Ibbys I've played, Japanese, American, custom, etc), and those are Indo, too. I don't think you can rule out the Indo Ibbys based on the firewood-worthy RG7321.

Of these 3, I would suggest the RGA8. The RG2228's headstock is fugly, the price isn't justified IMHO, and both Intrepid 8's I played (1 new, 1 old) just felt cheaply made, and I wasn't a fan of their blocky construction.

I_infect

Reaction score
Every XPT707 I've played was incredible

Sorry but I gotta disagree. I bought one new, a 2008, and it was the worst playing guitar I ever owned. Hated it. It was more the guitar though, than the location made. And honestly, the RGA7 neck looks very similar to the 7321, which makes me question the RGA8:spock:
As far as Indo, I do like the Indo S7320 compared to the Koreans, but lately anything other than MiJ has me raising an eyebrow at them(Ibanez) so I'd have to play the RGA8 first before I could honestly recommend one.

Reaction score
Sorry but I gotta disagree. I bought one new, a 2008, and it was the worst playing guitar I ever owned. Hated it. It was more the guitar though, than the location made. And honestly, the RGA7 neck looks very similar to the 7321, which makes me question the RGA8:spock:
As far as Indo, I do like the Indo S7320 compared to the Koreans, but lately anything other than MiJ has me raising an eyebrow at them(Ibanez) so I'd have to play the RGA8 first before I could honestly recommend one.

maybe that's the chance you take with indo...i love my xpt it's f'n sweet. but like schecter maybe sometimes you can get a shitty one...my friends hellraiser was riddled with QC bullshit...(sorta off topic) i had the 2228 and it's nice but i paid 1500 for mine and thought that was a stretch...i really would try the rga8 simply because even if you didn't like it i think you could get out of it with a minimal loss at $799.

blackseeds

.... blog snobs
Reaction score
rg2228 has a freakin comfortable neck! i really didn't feel like it was a huge thing to play it after i played my rg1527 for a while

Merlin_602

Reaction score
I believe the agile is the way to go if you're after bang for buck. 2228's are seriously overpriced and having owned both a 2228 and a 30" intrepid i think the agile is better.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
You can find a good deal for a 2228, just have to kinda camp out. And if money's not an issue you can just get one new :lol: I'm personally camping out because I'm a college student and generally broke.

')