Torn between RGA8, RG2228, and Agile

• Thread starter Bombdotcom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

freepower

Reaction score
Having played a 2228 and owning a Agile Interceptor 827 I think that the Agile's the better guitar (for me anyway) and that the price is phenomenal even after shipping to Ireland. Can't speak for the other Agile models but many others have.

That said, I presume you've been checking the RGA reviews, aye?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

demigod

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this old thread but im in the same situation. I'm leaning to the RGA8 lol but still uncertain

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd go the RGA8. Better than the 2228 because it is mahogany (I don't like basswood myself) has a wizard II neck as opposed to the regular wizard neck on the 2228, plus it looks better and is half the price. I think if you got the RGA8, you could use whatever money you would've spent on a 2228 to make it into a real monster. Ibby will get rid of the 2228 next year mark my words.

Agile are also a good option, though you may not be able to try before you buy, I've seen a lot of shippin disasters by Rondo recently.

You're kidding the waiting list for those in Europe is huge. Or was until the price got as high as it is. Praticularly with all the publicity people like Tony McAlpine and Tosin Abasi are starting to get (relatively speaking) now's a better time than ever to produce a Fujigen 8 string.

Every 2228 we had in sold within a few weeks without exception.

The RGA8 isn't anything on the 2228, they don't setup as well IMO and the basswood, being a brighter wood I feel cuts better. I'm sure some people are very happy with the RGA8, and I'd have one over a Schecter every time for the better neck, but the 2228 is a great instrument, and it doesn't feel like you're compromising on anything. Granted the 2011 RGA8's have been much better than previously, but there really is a massive difference to the Prestige.

If money's no object, it has to be the 2228, it was the only 8 (non custom grade) I've ever considered buying, and it's fantastic quality. If you want me to go through a more detailed comparison of the two I'd be happy to, my shop (the one I worked for, RIP) had about 4 RGA8's in the time I was there and we did as many RG2228's (though one was used).

My experience of Agile is they're fine on a budget, and they're designed not to look like guitars as cheap as they are, which is great if you're on a budget. The few I've tried haven't been as good as the 2228.

Say I'm biased because I have one, but I'm probably going to have sold it by the end of the year, and there's a reason I got the one I did (apart form the price :lol:)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Dude check when I posted that. :lol: I now have a 2228 so I can say that post is complete bullocks.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
aaawwww dang, first time I've been caught out by a necro bump.

Thought it was strange coming from you :lol:

Bollocks

sell2792

Reaction score
If you can afford it, the RG2228, followed by a nice Agile, follew lastly by the RGA8s. Maybe check out the ESP SC 8 strings?

demigod

Reaction score
sell2792: If you can afford it, the RG2228, followed by a nice Agile, follew lastly by the RGA8s. Maybe check out the ESP SC 8 strings?
If i upgrade the RGA8 with EMG 808's how would the order look then?:idea:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The stock pickups on all of the aforementioned 8's aren't to my taste, so for me that's not a factor.

Don't go 808, go DiMarzio D-Activator 8 or 808X at least, hence all will need a pickup change, hence it's not an issue :lol:

demigod

Reaction score
The stock pickups on all of the aforementioned 8's aren't to my taste, so for me that's not a factor.

Don't go 808, go DiMarzio D-Activator 8 or 808X at least, hence all will need a pickup change, hence it's not an issue :lol:
LOL ok then ^^
So if i put whatever of those pickups in it, would it be a good choice? Since i dont know what the other differences' influence would be.

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
just get the rga8 put some d'activators save more money and get a custom axe once you have more experience in the 8 territory don't go with agile if the guitar has a problem you can not return it .... the best option it's the rg2228 but i would get a custom for that amount of money and with better look not a black and plain guitar..

just my 2 canadian cents

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
just get the rga8 put some d'activators save more money and get a custom axe once you have more experience in the 8 territory don't go with agile if the guitar has a problem you can not return it .... the best option it's the rg2228 but i would get a custom for that amount of money and with better look not a black and plain guitar..

just my 2 canadian cents

A decent custom 8 string for $2k? Does that exist?

Serious question, not being a dick lol.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
if money isn't an issue, then go for the RG2228, it's going to be the superior ERG out of the choices you presented us with. yes, the RGA8 is a good instrument .. however it's outclassed by it's higher end RG cousin. the hardware, pickups and cuts of wood are going to be superior and if you have the choice I believe it would be better to invest in an instrument that doesn't need to be modified out of the box out of necessity. changing hardware on the RG2228 by comparison would be personal choice but there's no actual "need" to swap out anything right from day one

Reaction score
i love the prestige's but honestly, get the RGA8. the 2228 build quality kills the RGA however, its not worth the extra $1200. neither are the EMG's. although, if i sold a guitar with EMG's, id take $200 off (i really dont like them haha) but still, not worth the extra $1200. take some sand paper to the neck to get it to feel the way you want, and upgrade the pickups. all that really matters anymore is the bridge. and since they have the same one, you should be in the clear. then just upgrade the pickups and make sure the frtes are nice and you have a $1000ish RG2228. and id put in a tone knob but thats just me

demigod

Reaction score
i love the prestige's but honestly, get the RGA8. the 2228 build quality kills the RGA however, its not worth the extra $1200. neither are the EMG's. although, if i sold a guitar with EMG's, id take $200 off (i really dont like them haha) but still, not worth the extra $1200. take some sand paper to the neck to get it to feel the way you want, and upgrade the pickups. all that really matters anymore is the bridge. and since they have the same one, you should be in the clear. then just upgrade the pickups and make sure the frtes are nice and you have a $1000ish RG2228. and id put in a tone knob but thats just me
I was planning on replacing the mid scoop switch (bleh!) with a tone knob anyway lol. I suppose thats possible in some way or the other with the stock pickups before i swap them for EMG's?

demigod

Reaction score
I've heard that that problem has been fixed. Only those produced in 09 (the first run) had that problem.

')