Total noob tube question

• Thread starter Rick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So I tried out a Bugera 6260, really liked it, and will be mine in 2 weeks(picstory to come). My question is, can amp manufacturers use different tube brands? For instance, can Peavey amps use Mesa tubes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmike550

metalmechanic!!
Reaction score
if i am correct, Mesa Peavey and Marshal dont manufacture tubes. they use tubes from an actual tube supplier. like groove tubes or something like that. are you wanting to mod it for the rectifier type sound? i think you can just slap in the correct tube combo and re bias the amp for that.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Why, thank you. It appears that I've joined the DARKSIDE. :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yes, yes you have.

i foresee an expensive tube amp in your 1-3 year future :lol:

yeah so long as the tube type matches, you can stick any brand in there.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey, Mesa, Marshall, Fender, all use other brand tubes re-badged with their names, in their amps. Usually Sovtek or Chinese tubes. Mesa tubes won't make your amp sound like a Mesa, etc.

Groove Tubes rates and re-badges other manufacturers tubes as well.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Mesas tubes are just within fairly tight tolerances is all. you wont get "mesa" tubes in a peavey ever, but you could potentially get the same tubes without the mesa name

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, pretty sure the Bugera has a bias pot, and I've had "Mesa" powertubes in my Laney no problem. :lol:

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
There are a few brands, like Mesa and Koch, that colour-code their tubes.
The advantage is that you can directly replace tubes with the same colour-code without re-biasing the amp.

Other than that the tubes generally come from only a handful of suppliers. There's a few Russian and Chinese factories, and there's the old Tesla factory, which now creates tubes under the JJ brand. That's pretty much it (so basically we have Communism to thank for keeping tubes alive... the Western world phased out their tube production decades ago).

A separate class of tubes is the NOS tubes (New Old Stock). These are generally Western-made tubes (like Philips, Telefunken, Mullard and such) that have long been out of production, but were left unsold in a warehouse somewhere. You generally won't find those as stock tubes in a production amp however.

')