Totally noob question about guitar strings.

• Thread starter Die Super
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Die Super

Banned
Reaction score
Okay I've just recently purchased my first sevenstring guitar and it still has the stock strings on it....

I guess my simple question is; what are the best strings for a mesh/bulb tone.

FIRST ANSWER GETS FREE LUNCH BOX

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsex1

Reaction score
Big ones. Bulb uses a custom d'Addario set that's 10-68, but just experiment with strings and see what you like. The brand? Experiment. I like DR's and use an 11-50 set, but I also use a D'Addario 62 on my lowest string. The only thing that I would say is that you would need thicker strings for the full sound (and for the djenty djent djent lol).

Die Super

Banned
Reaction score
So I would def want my lowest string in the 60's range?

:Lunch box pending:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
It also depends on your scale length. If you have a 25.5 scale, you're for sure going to want something in the 60's, but if you a longer scale, you get away with .58's, if that fits your playing style.

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
I have a .54 on my 28.6 for the 7th string works great for standard, lil bit floppy though

Die Super

Banned
Reaction score
Alrighty thanks guys.

eclipsex1: lunch box delivered, hope you like the fonz;)

Attachments

• lunchfonz.jpg
    lunchfonz.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I recently bought the GHS Boomers 7 .10-.60 set for my 26.5" Schecter, and it's perfect for me. I like a bit higher tension on the lower strings, with looser tension on the unwound strings so I do vibrato and bends a bit easier. Like Stealth said, though, it's 100% personal taste.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Make sure the nut will be able to fit the string. I got a D'Addario 7-string set of 10-59 and the 7th string would not fit on my RG7621.

broj15

Reaction score
also, make sure the tuner will accomadate the string. i would love to a .070 fo rthe low b on my schecter but the hole in the tuner is not large enough so im stuck using a .064... as far as strings with the longest life i say d-addario are a pretty safe bet. they sound just as good and bright as ernie balls but i think they keep that full/ bright tone atleast a few weeks longer than ernies (keep in mind i play for about 1.5-2.5 hours a day so your results may vary.)

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
While Misha does use a .068", you got to remember that that's for a low G#. That size is actually pretty conservative for such a low tuning.

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
I have a set of baritone 6 and a 10 for the high Eb. so its something like 10 13 17 33 46 56 72. I'm tuned to Ab and it's wonderful. bad thing about 70+ though, My string is a bit unwound at the end to go through the peg. alternatively, you can drill the peg out a bit. up to you, but the heavy strings are pretty nice although I as a bit worried at first. Apex 2 = 25.5 scale btw.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
For a low B on a 25.5" a .056 is perfect for me.

It really depends on the guitar and your preference, some guys will tell you they use 5.500 gauge strings, others will tell you they use .0000001 gauge strings etc

There is no right way, just find what works for you.

')