Toto Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    toto
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Lukather is one of the guitarists I really look up to, in terms of his control over guitar. I think Toto are awesome, and Rosanna is one of my favourite guitar solo's to play, a good mix of melody, impressive fast parts, and singing vibrato. Great stuff all round :D

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that this topic only reached 3 pages, is a shame on behalf of humankind...

I honestly think Toto is, in the most objective and strictly analytical way, the best "mainstream" band ever. They are more technical than a lot of technical bands, and they're more catchy than most catchy bands. A lot of people only think of Rosanna, Hold the Line etc. (which are good too), but they barely scratch the surface of all the different harmonic and stylistic explorations this band has done. They're really like a more catchy version of Dream Theater. Their material sure ain't easier to write/play than DT.

Btw, for those who didn't hear it, Falling In Between (the record, not the live DVD) is pretty fuckin schweet, way to go down in a blaze of glory. Recommend it to anyone (both Paich and Philliganes are on it, best of both worlds I'd say).

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
I only like I'll be over you.
I had a friend who was a huge fan .
Nothing against just never liked their melodies.
I really prefer Journey.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend got me into this band. he swears by them as the best band in the history of music. I must say I think they are fantastic, haven't managed to grow on me that much though!

You need to do a jam with me and the Arkö brothers, you'll be a Toto-head for life ;) Björn starts every morning walking down the stairs to "Can't Stop Loving You". Then you know it'll be a good day.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I won't lie, i really don't like Toto as a band, or their music at all tbh... BUT, one cannot deny that Steve Lukather is a fucking phenomenal guitarist :yesway:

Reaction score
You need to do a jam with me and the Arkö brothers, you'll be a Toto-head for life ;) Björn starts every morning walking down the stairs to "Can't Stop Loving You". Then you know it'll be a good day.

Haha, man the second graders at my school are all toto/AOR/West coast fanatics. No idea why it's just them really, it sure is awesome though. :yesway:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, man the second graders at my school are all toto/AOR/West coast fanatics. No idea why it's just them really, it sure is awesome though. :yesway:

Haha it's all the third graders at my school :p Or was, before we all graduated. We're thinking of starting a Toto cover band named Otto. :)

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
Great band.Luke is a MONSTER.Great tone,phrasing and songwriter...And a good singer on top of it all.\m/

ToniS

Chool Whhhip
Reaction score
Amazing band, one of my favs. Other cool Toto songs:

-Stranger in Town
-I Will Remember
-I'll Be Over You
-Don't Chain My Heart
-Stop Loving You
-2 Hearts (my personal favourite)

:hbang: They kick ass!

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I grew up listening to classic rock, including the radio, so I heard Hold the Line, Africa and a couple others on constant rotation. I ended up buying a greatest hits album, but really only liked a few songs on it, and the ones I already liked anyway. I will say, though, that Africa has maybe the greatest vocal harmonies ever.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
One of the best pop songs of all time:

Worth the repost.

Wanna hear Marty Friedman play the Hold the Line solo? Of course you do!

')