Toto Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    toto
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Toto goes Dream Theater (IMO this is better than anything DT has released after 6DOIT):

This song is really awesome too! (Fahrenheit):

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
I love toto!, last time I drove my band down to the capital to play a gig I put some on.

start of the trip they are all complaining: "this is shit, more metal blah blah"
End of the trip: "HOLD THE LINE... DUN DUN DUN DUN, LOVE ISNT...."
yep

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love toto!, last time I drove my band down to the capital to play a gig I put some on.

start of the trip they are all complaining: "this is shit, more metal blah blah"
End of the trip: "HOLD THE LINE... DUN DUN DUN DUN, LOVE ISNT...."
yep

Awesome! Convert the heathens, man! :cheers: :lol:

I try to be open-minded, but when a serious musician claims he doesn't like Toto, I start questioning his merits... :lol: I mean, you might not like the softcore pop stuff they did in the 80's but if you can't hear the ingenious use of advanced harmony and the often simplistic yet incredibly technical instrumental bits they do, then you simply have a bad ear for music.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
My exposure to Toto's music was only as a kid, and I enjoyed all of their radio hits immensely. Since then, my only other exposure to anything Toto-related was on Harmony-central where they get bashed like crazy, especially Steve Lukather. There is also somebody on there who claims to be Steve, and always posts quite inflammatory assholish threads. I have no idea if it's him or not, but there is a subtlety to his posts that might make a guy think it really was him. I have no idea. But I left HC and came here because it was nothing but a bunch of old blues guys claiming that any modern music or non-vintage guitars were crap, so I suppose I should take what they said about Toto with a truckload of salt.

What's a good album to start with for a total Toto noob?

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^ They've got some Greatest Hits records on Spotify that you could check out. But I think the best thing to start with would be their live DVD from 2007 called "Falling in Between". Some of the best musicianship ever caught on film, and they also play songs from their entire carreer. There's some clips from it on youtube, but I wholeheartedly recommend the DVD. That's what got me sold on them and I'm a total Toto nerd now ;)

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Hmm... ya know, I think I'd rather check out a full album from when the band was in their prime, with the songs in order as the band intended. Also, perhaps something that's not their most mainstream work. I'm sure the concert DVD and greatest hits albums are excellent, but I'd like to end up there later. With all of that said, what do you recommend?

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
A just felt like bumping this thread after watching this gig... easily one of the best shows I've ever seen recorded, and the Porcaro x2 rhythm section is still something to behold.

It's also worth mentioning that they'll be releasing a DVD from the Copenhagen gig a week or so ago (which I'm still bummed about missing...), which will feature Joseph Williams on vocals and none other than Nathan East on bass :yesway:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
This video is pretty interesting... not only because he looks to be in his early 20's and has a rig that is way before his time, but also because he seems to be using the dirty channel on a Mesa/Boogie amp sent into two other identical clean amps, using the first amp as a drive box... so instead of sending the dirty amp to a cab like normal, it's sending a preamp signal into the poweramp sections of two other amps, before going into the cabs :nuts:

I'll have to try that on my Axe-Fx :yesway:

Anyway, video:

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
sorry for the necrobump, but better then making the same thread again.

Listening a lot to Toto since the last couple of weeks. Hold The Line is def my fav Toto song.

Divinehippie

ESaD ;)
Reaction score
this song sealed the deal for me. my dad has the live in amsterdam dvd and it's amazing. steve's playing is really top notch and the solo's in this song are some of the dankest, heart felt solo's i've personally ever heard. great tone, note choice, everything. Steve's quite a boss for sure

it's not letting me embed for some reason=(. here's the link though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR74WlF-FdQ

the hittmann

Reaction score
On a different note, some of the most iconic drum grooves came of their albums. R.I.P Jeff Porcaro its been 20yrs.

thesnowdog

Reaction score
I especially appreciate what could have been one of the great concept albums if it wasn't aborted after two tracks:

Hydra

St George and the Dragon

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
So I am a 10 year old in a tiny drugstore in a tiny town in the middle of Washington state, and I'm staring at two albums: Toto IV and Maiden's Piece of Mind. My grandmother has allowed me to buy one album.

I wanted Maiden, she bought be Toto. I must have listened to that album hundreds of times that year.

She is still alive, btw:)

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Not sure how I had never come across this thread before.
Easily 1 of my all time favorite bands & by far have the highest play count on my Last.fm :lol:

My wife & I worked for them on their last Australian tour, meeting them was incredible. What a band!!

')