Tough Mix

• Thread starter Harmsown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harmsown

Reaction score
Sup fellas,

This one was difficult for me to mix. I had a hard time balancing all the different dynamics of the clean/distorted parts. Give it a listen, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Heavy parts ~2:18

Thanks as always.

https://soundcloud.com/harmsown/spark-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I really like the cleans in this. The heavy not so much, since it sounds a bit weak in my opinion, and a bit too djenty for my taste, but that has nothing to do with the mix. ;)

Keep it up man, sounds cool.

kaaka

Reaction score
All the guitars are very good sounding, the cleans are really beautiful. The only thing I feel is that the whole song feels like it is mixed very loud (almost as you expect it to clip). So maybe lower the levels a little? Other than that the drums sound a little bit to digital especially from 2.18 mark.

I was picky now as usual, it is overall a very good mix I would say. Well done!

Harmsown

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the feedback. As always its very appreciated and helps develop my sound.

It is a little Djenty...I tend to write that way...unfortunately....im working on it.

What do you think the drums need to sound more natural? Maybe more variation in velocity? Or reverb work?

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Hey dude, if that's what you like writing don't let anyone else tell you how to write, it's all personal preference.

As for the drums, there's a few ways making them sound more "human". For one, you should have a humanize feature in your Midi-Editor, which can shift velocities (make it like 4-6% maybe, for snare a bit less.) and timings on notes, don't go overboard or things will sound inaccurate.

Reverb is also a nice way of easing things up and make them breath better. Especially a nice plate on the snare sounds great.

pirateparty

Reaction score
What setup were you using for this? Sounds noice.

If you're using Superior what kind of settings/tricks did you use?

Harmsown

Reaction score
Sup fellas.

I will for sure continue to write what I'm into, I just always like to try new things, and all to often I get in that rut, where everything sounds the same :)

There is quite a bit of reverb there, and I always humanize my notes (ironically 5%) haha. I think it ends up being the way the drums are written and how you apply the humanization that I need to work on. What would an actual drummer do....etc.

I used superior 2.0. No tricks really....just EQ (all done in the VST itself) reverb for room and separate for snare. And lots and lots of EQ work. But I'm happy to say no boosting, just cuts.

Thanks everyone.

')