Touring Advise

• Thread starter dissident
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Then why tour?

To me, it seems like a great opportunity to do nothing but play shows. It could also easily suck. I would bring a credit card that has no purpose but to get me on a plane and back home.

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Then why tour?

Because that's "where it's at" for me. I enjoy the studio, but live performance is the dogs bollocks, especially when it's coupled with traveling around the nation. It satisfies my inner nomadic troubadour, so to speak. Or, in other words, it's my idea of a great vacation.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread again, tour starts in less than 2 weeks!

Things to buy:
-small sleeping bag that'll fit in my bag
-travel pillow (y'know, those things that fit around your neck so you can sleep sitting up)

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Eating healthy is next to impossible, but I always point out easy things like when you hit McDonalds everyday drink Hi-C so you at least keep Vitamin C in you because getting sick sucks and when 1 guy gets sick you all end up sick.
Keep dirty laundry in it's own bag so you don't loose it, you can dump it in when you finally can do wash before/after a show, and it's not stinking up the van laying everywhere.

If it's cold out be sure to get out of sweaty stage clothes and into dry ones ASAP so you don't get sick.. if you can shower first even better since it cuts down on dirty clothes and stink.

Make sure everybody or several people have a key to get into the vehicle..than everybody isn't bugging one person for it, and less chance of it being lost or locked in the vehicle.

If you're getting a trailor try and get two axels so if you blow a tire you still can drive and you have a lot less chance of loosing control and wrecking... and while on this subject always give a look at the tires before laving to next venue incase they need air.

Air Fresheners/fabreeze etc is your best friend int he van!
Body spray is good idea for after playing etc too

Sleeping bag and pillow..as somebody said it's good to have the ones for sleeping while sitting up.

On that note try and keep the floor clean as possible cause if there's a ton of you in a small van if the floor is clean somebody can sleep on the bench and somebody else can sleep on the floor. This means no neck cramp or going numb from sleeping sittin in crammed positions!
Always have a"Co-Pilot" up front with the driver.

Make everybody piss/shit/eat BEFORE you leave to the next venue so you don't have to make 1000 stops.

Try and get a gas vehicle because it's cheaper to fix and cheaper to buy fuel for.

Make sure lights are off/doors locked when leaving the van/trailor.

Lagal wise try and keep the drugs out of the van in case you get pulled over, and especially when crossing boarders. Also don't forget open container law.

Quick question for you guys, do you usually end up making or losing money when you tour?
If you do it right you should be breaking even at the very least for a starting band. If you market yourself right and have good merch you should make some money.

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
Bring tylenol PM to help you sleep in the van. Some nights, especially if you don't drink, you'll be parked in a truckstop and w/o it, you won't sleep.

If you drink, DON'T BUY BEER/LIQUOR AT THE BAR. Hit up a store before you get there. Wal Mart generally has the cheapest prices.

Make sure EVERYONE has extra strings/pics/batteries/cables/etc before you leave. Helps to avoid on-stage mixups of "fuck, does anyone have a cable I can borrow?"

Always have someone sleep in the van. It sucks, but it keeps your shit from getting ripped off.

redenemyjoe

Reaction score
We're just organising our first foure into international playing. We travelled 700 miles with 5 of us in .9 litre Toyota Yaris and all of our gear for recording. T'was the most fun.

jjjsssxxx

Reaction score
Were going to try and do this in cars instead of a van, so that might be interesting. I have a golf estate which i can fit about 3 cabs and heads/guitars in and 1 other person. Our drummer has a corsa so that will be interesting. We will be sharing gear with other bands though.

I strongly advise against taking multiple vehicles. That's kind of asking for problems. Even if you guys are smart/organized, somebody is likely to get lost or turned around and separated and then it's :realmad:

ryzorzen

shake and bake!
Reaction score
as mentioned good sleep is scarce! ripping one nice bowl of green and napping for a couple hours in the van is wicked on the road. at your own risk of course!

great tip i got from someone and i don't think it's been mentioned, but try and not let your gas gauge fall below 50%. You never know what the hell is going to happen, and if you get lost having low gas it just makes the situation waaay more stressful than it has to be.

handy things to have would be a reserve of washer fluid, jumper cables, spare tire, and a few obvious tools like wrenches and pliers. duct tape is a given. we also try and keep a good stock of bottled water, as dehydration can really send you over the edge!

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
99 cent Arizona Arnold Palmers - Cheapest most delicious non-water drink possible. Especially the green tea Arnolds.

Adderall - Sleep deprived and need to concentrate? Works as well for a show as it does for band practice.

Gold Bond Medicated Powder - Especially with summer tours, chaffing is a motherfucker. This will save your goddamned life. I promise.

Besides that, just keep a cool head, don't be too irritable and try not to be too annoying and you'll all be alright. Never bring a girl to do your merch, there'll be way too much drama. Instead, especially if your band likes to rage, bring along a straight edge merch dude, who loves to party anyway, just sober. That way you've always got a driver. Keep drugs in the trailer, keep the booze cruising supplies logical: My personal favorites being jack and coke in a Coke bottle, vodka in a water bottle, mixed drinks in Vitamin Water bottlers or whatever else, and you'll be fine.

Make sure to go out and have a shitload of fun, too. Be that band that goes out and sees landmarks and national treasures and goes to the cool attractions around the town you're playing in. That's where the memories are.

Oh... and if you're a buffalo and you're drinking with other bands (Knights of the Abyss, jesussssss) don't let on or you will drink yourself retarded.

Ultraworld

Luthier A Holic
Reaction score
As mentioned, gear in good shape. Hard cases a must. Strings, picks, drum sticks.
Van & trailer in good working order, Tires & brakes a must.
Keep the partying down to a dull roar
Eat right, sleep everyday. Clean sleeping bag/pillow.
Plenty of clean clothes, look for laundry mats.
Walmart is your friend & they are everywhere.
If your not wide awake & fed, your shows suffer.
Smile & be nice to the fans

')