Traces Kerrang! Review

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
TRACES - REFLECTIONS OF A FORLORN SUN (Siege of Amida Records)

FOLK-TINGED SYMPHONIC DEATH DARING TO VERGE ON THE IMPENETRABLE.

Riffs, keyboads, death, folk, screaming, blood, guts and damnation - why not just chuck the whole into a mincer and see what happens? Two steps away from chaos, Traces veer in seconds from what sounds like a church organ to the noise of what might pass for roadworks outside, often by way of folk-ish reel or - of all things - a hook that is actually sung. When it hangs together, as it does spectacularly on To Engulf All Creed, it snares your attention and makes you stare at the speakers. At other times, it leaves you scratching your head and wondering how much longer it'll go on for.

Progressive death metal of the maddest kind.

Download: To Engulf All Creed
For Fans Of: Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth

KKK

Steve Beebee

Pretty shitty review...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
It could have been worse. He is pretty much saying that it is not everybody's cup of tea, but if you are into that kind of stuff you will dig it. Plus look at it this way, how many of us actually have even had the opportunity to get our stuff reviewed by kerrang.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Plus look at it this way, how many of us actually have even had the opportunity to get our stuff reviewed by kerrang.

good point :lol:

it could've been much worse, but by the sounds of it the guy isn't really into extreme stuff anyway which begs the question why was it given to him to review?

still, it's one K less than we were expecting, I doubt anyone who reads a 3K review is going to make them want to go and buy it.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Don't worry about it bro, we all think that is kick some serious ass and we aren't just saying that to be nice. This dude obviously just has a different taste in music.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Reading between the lines it sounds as if he found some of it to be awesome, and some clearly didn't gel with his musical tastes (so yes.....why is he reviewing it?) but on the whole it's still good publicity.

I don't think there's quite the polarisation across the material as he seems to suggest but hey, what do I know :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
thanks Brian!

I think Kerrang! like their bands to be easy to digest, so I'm sorry we disappointed them... Terrorizer and Metal Hammer reviews to come though!

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
to the noise of what might pass for roadworks outside

What an odd thing to say :nuts:

All publicity is good publicity anyway. Someone is bound to read your review and check your stuff out :yesway: if only one person... it'll be worth it

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
yeah I thought he said some pretty odd things too.

I am grateful that we were featured in the most-read rock/metalzine in the world though :yesway:

Dan

Reaction score
yeah the guy who did our Myspace fucked up the code. I've emailed him about it but he's yet to reply because he's on tour :yesway:

I think they give us 3 Ks too many.

it needs more bree's and breakdowns, you and i both know this. Remember that song about the food that shall not be named that was being written... needs to sound more like that :lol:

Auyard

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience anyone who names Dimmu and Cradle in the same sentence don't know what they are talking about and just try to name the more 'mainstream' bands they can think of.

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
:metal: I think you guys are bad ass...
It's funny though, cause a month or two ago my vocalist told me to check you guys out and I really liked, then I find out you're the guitarist like a week after.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
To be honest, I wouldn't give a toss about anything Kerrang has to say, they can barely be called a music channel seeing as they have the same set of music videos always playing, and the same bands making covers/posters.

Sucks they gave you 3Ks man, you deserve more for teh work you put in. Maybe you should listen to some more Fall Out Boy before you write the next album :p

Am I the only person who thinks the idea of reviewing another persons hard work and sticking in a magazine is a disgusting concept? I've never really liked album reviews because they are so subjective, no person has the same feeling for an album, so how can you review it? Meh, seems strange to me.

Still you guys know you're making awesome music, I think Terrorizer will get you guys a lot more.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
thanks Brian!

I think Kerrang! like their bands to be easy to digest, so I'm sorry we disappointed them... Terrorizer and Metal Hammer reviews to come though!

:yesway: Good luck with those, glad to see you guys are getting a lot of exposure! Maybe soon you guys can tour the states and I can come and fuck shit up!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
:yesway: Good luck with those, glad to see you guys are getting a lot of exposure! Maybe soon you guys can tour the states and I can come and fuck shit up!

yeah man fucking a!

Am I the only person who thinks the idea of reviewing another persons hard work and sticking in a magazine is a disgusting concept? I've never really liked album reviews because they are so subjective, no person has the same feeling for an album, so how can you review it? Meh, seems strange to me.

Still you guys know you're making awesome music, I think Terrorizer will get you guys a lot more.

I see what you mean dude :yesway:

we actually have friends at Terrorizer and already know for a fact that Louise the Editor loves the EP so I'm looking foward to reading that one a little bit more :)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
yeah man fucking a!

I see what you mean dude :yesway:

we actually have friends at Terrorizer and already know for a fact that Louise the Editor loves the EP so I'm looking foward to reading that one a little bit more :)

Ha ha nice :) You guys have a London show in November right? I need to see you live

')