Traces Kerrang! Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
it could've been much worse, but by the sounds of it the guy isn't really into extreme stuff anyway which begs the question why was it given to him to review?

Since when have Kerrang ever cared about extreme stuff? The fact that the "Kerrange: the album 09" has Metro Station on it should be proof enough of that. If you are a progressive death metal band then why do you care what a pop-rock corporation thinks of your music?

Also, to splice together some quotes of his "Progressive Death metal for fans of Dimmu Borgir and COF". Really? :scratch:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
we're not a Progressive Death Metal band :lol:

in fact, he was a lot more on the money with the Dimmu Borgir/Cradle of Filth thing.

thanks guys! :wub:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
maybe there is some truth in what he's saying though.

we do have a lot of influences, which I know magazines don't like, as anything that varies and has different textures and so on and so forth they can't hack.

things Kerrang! give 5 Ks to are generally hardcore albums where every song sounds the same or pop metal with choruses where every song sounds the same. I know my friends band's album got slammed for having too many influences... I say what's wrong with it?

variety is the spice of life yo.

still, I have thought about what he has said and maybe a little more focus wouldn't go amiss in our music.

Dan the bass player and James the keys player wrote most of the EP except for most of the intros which were handled by myself but on album no. 2 (we've already got loads written for album no. 1) there's going to be a lot more riffs as myself and our new guitarist Myk have been hard at work with our 7 strings! :evil:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They always give rave reviews to whatever the flavour-of-the-month bands are, and almost always fail to spot important genres when they're still in their nascent stages...

handmetheaxe

Guitarded
Reaction score
meh @ Kerrang! I expect both metal hammer and Terrorizer will give you a better review, especially Terrorizer. I can't take Kerrang! seriously with all their pop rockpunkmetalemoindie riddled pages, but hey the mainstream seems to be what sells copies!

I've been lucky enough to see Traces live twice, anyone who hasn't, when they get to yer corner of the country/globe it will be worth the wait!

Reaction score
Well on the plus side, at least you guys are getting recognition in a major music publication. That has to be good for exposure! So congrats on that dude! :yesway:
Reviews aside.. you guys kick ass :metal:
And don't worry that a poorly written and seemingly-biased review will hurt your potential fanbase or keep people from listening to your album..
There are a lot of listeners out there (including myself) who don't give a fuck about what some critic/reviewer says about an album.
I don't make any assumptions about an album or band based on someone else's opinion, so a review in a magazine doesn't make two shits for me. I would rather just listen to the album myself and make my own judgements. And i'm sure there are lots of other people who feel the same way.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
meh @ Kerrang! I expect both metal hammer and Terrorizer will give you a better review, especially Terrorizer. I can't take Kerrang! seriously with all their pop rockpunkmetalemoindie riddled pages, but hey the mainstream seems to be what sells copies!

I've been lucky enough to see Traces live twice, anyone who hasn't, when they get to yer corner of the country/globe it will be worth the wait!

thanks bro!

where have you seen us live?

Well on the plus side, at least you guys are getting recognition in a major music publication. That has to be good for exposure! So congrats on that dude! :yesway:
Reviews aside.. you guys kick ass :metal:
And don't worry that a poorly written and seemingly-biased review will hurt your potential fanbase or keep people from listening to your album..
There are a lot of listeners out there (including myself) who don't give a fuck about what some critic/reviewer says about an album.
I don't make any assumptions about an album or band based on someone else's opinion, so a review in a magazine doesn't make two shits for me. I would rather just listen to the album myself and make my own judgements. And i'm sure there are lots of other people who feel the same way.

appreciate that dude :hbang:

I doubt it will affect our fanbase... as I doubt they read Kerrang! :lol:

I'm the same dude, glad we're on the same page about this :yesway:

handmetheaxe

Guitarded
Reaction score
wow! uber late reply to this post! sorry Dave! uhh fist saw you with Leo at Unhallowed fest in Liverpool a couple of years back, and more recently at Ghostfest this year!
Will be seeing you lot again next saturday in leeds, should be a sick gig!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
wow! uber late reply to this post! sorry Dave! uhh fist saw you with Leo at Unhallowed fest in Liverpool a couple of years back, and more recently at Ghostfest this year!
Will be seeing you lot again next saturday in leeds, should be a sick gig!

Nice one bro :yesway:

Buy me a beer as it will be my birthday :cheers:

N-j

B.T.K
Reaction score
if your playing in my neck of the woods anytime soon i'll pop down for a beer. ;)

and on topic, balls to kerrang, they made their name off the back of metal heads and then sold out to pop shit.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
We plan to visit Birmingham very soon actually, we haven't played there in nearly 2 years and quite frankly, fuck that. We want to come back and rock your venues to the core!

:metal:

Tyrant

Reaction score
Eh, the fact that the guy calls you progressive death metal and then say that your music is for fans of Dimmu Borgir & COF just deems his review pointless...

You should never listen to reviews IMO, reviewers is just one person and one persons opinion. Even with great reviews you shouldnt think that everyone has the same opinion. (just my 2 cents)

And you already know what I think of your band Dave, so I dont need to go at that one again :)

:hbang:

EDIT:
I just noticed how old this thread is. :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I personally value what anyone has to say, whether it's positive or negative. Granted, there are some people that will trash your music for the sake of it or aren't into that specific type of music anyway, but they speak for a group of people who share the same view and in fact some of our fans may even agree with negative points made, so it's good to listen to what everyone has to say, every word is precious feedback to me :)

[/long sentence]

N-j

B.T.K
Reaction score
We plan to visit Birmingham very soon actually, we haven't played there in nearly 2 years and quite frankly, fuck that. We want to come back and rock your venues to the core!

:metal:

well, if you need a support, im sure my band can help you out. would be good fun. :shred:

')