Training routine exchange?

• Thread starter migreeni
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

migreeni

Reaction score
There are guitarists who are completely helpless with gathering up a certain training routine. I fall into this category as well. I was wondering if you guys could share your routines with other players, to help, inspire and develop other guitarists with their skills.

What different techniques do you practise?
What kind of exercises (tab or link)?
How long do you practise per exercise? (minutes etc)
Other?

And GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
There are guitarists who are completely helpless with gathering up a certain training routine. I fall into this category as well. I was wondering if you guys could share your routines with other players, to help, inspire and develop other guitarists with their skills.

What different techniques do you practise?
What kind of exercises (tab or link)?
How long do you practise per exercise? (minutes etc)
Other?

And GO!

Hey, Terve Mikki ! Mitää kuuluu???

Sorry, could not resist. But that's about all the Finish I can still speak (plus some bad words...LOL).
I just saw that you live in Espoo ! I used to live in Haukilahti, Espoo many, many years ago !('79-'85)
:agreed:

Maniacal

Reaction score
The reason for the title Riff Training is that it will ultimately be teaching technical death metal. Obviously that sort of playing requires excellent lead and rhythmic skills.

The books will also arm guitarists with a better understanding of rhythm as most guitarists I have met dont do much practice with rhythm (I am a drummer too).

The book I am selling now is part 1 of 3.

Yes I will send the book to Finland and it will be the same price.

The flight of the bumblebee version I do is probably the harder one as it has more string crossing.

the main part is a brilliant exercise:

B--5---------6-5- -5------------------
G----8-7-6-5-----8---8-7-6-5-6-7-8----

Use alternate picking throughout.

If this is badly written, sorry. I am a bit drunk. Good old irish cream mmmm

Looks great! Ive found your Dean Shredder Search and flight of the bumbleebee on youtube; which version is that?? Ive been trying to find a guitar arrangement like that, it'd be much appreciated if you could point me in the direction of some decent tab :)

Also, I think I have a guitar pro file of it. Message me your email addy and il send it to you.

migreeni

Reaction score
Hey, Terve Mikki ! Mitää kuuluu???

Sorry, could not resist. But that's about all the Finish I can still speak (plus some bad words...LOL).
I just saw that you live in Espoo ! I used to live in Haukilahti, Espoo many, many years ago !('79-'85)
:agreed:

Well hi! :D What did you do in Finland? It's a 15min drive from my house to Haukilahti.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Well hi! :D What did you do in Finland? It's a 15min drive from my house to Haukilahti.

Hyvää huomenta !

So, you actually know Haukilahti????
That is funny.

I was a little kid then, my family moved there becasue my dad took a job offer in Helsinki.
We had a great time in Finland ! It's such a beautiful country !

Do you still remember Rikki Sorsa? (I'm not sure if I'm spelling his name correctly).
I was saw him at the beach in Haukilahti, and I talked to him, he was a very funny and nice guy. I was like 8 years old then or something, and he asked me "did you see me wind-surfing?", so I replied "Yes", he asks "did you see when I fell in the water?" I replies "No", he goes "good!".hahah.

migreeni

Reaction score
Hyvää huomenta !

So, you actually know Haukilahti????
That is funny.

I was a little kid then, my family moved there becasue my dad took a job offer in Helsinki.
We had a great time in Finland ! It's such a beautiful country !

Do you still remember Rikki Sorsa? (I'm not sure if I'm spelling his name correctly).
I was saw him at the beach in Haukilahti, and I talked to him, he was a very funny and nice guy. I was like 8 years old then or something, and he asked me "did you see me wind-surfing?", so I replied "Yes", he asks "did you see when I fell in the water?" I replies "No", he goes "good!".hahah.

Cool! Yeah, Haukilahti is very near, I've been to the beach a bunch of times. And yes I remember Riki Sorsa. He quit singing awhile ago because he got throat cancer. He lost all of his teeth and his singing voice as well.. That's pretty sad.

Man, this thread went off-topic quick haha :D

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Cool! Yeah, Haukilahti is very near, I've been to the beach a bunch of times. And yes I remember Riki Sorsa. He quit singing awhile ago because he got throat cancer. He lost all of his teeth and his singing voice as well.. That's pretty sad.

Man, this thread went off-topic quick haha :D

Oh, that is sad :-(
I just looked for his website, he looks very old now.

But is he healed from the cancer?

Sorry about taking this off-topic.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
My training routine: sweep a lot, then make up some god-awful finger-bending legato chromatic riff to master before jamming the blues. Maybe run the whole tone scale up and down the neck really fast.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
The reason for the title Riff Training is that it will ultimately be teaching technical death metal. Obviously that sort of playing requires excellent lead and rhythmic skills.

The books will also arm guitarists with a better understanding of rhythm as most guitarists I have met dont do much practice with rhythm (I am a drummer too).

Hey Jonathan, I have another question regarding your book:

Is it meant for the 7-string guitarist? i.e. are the exercises/riffs making use of a 7-string guitar?

Maniacal

Reaction score
Well all of it can be moved about and practised on the low B of a 7.

The second book is going to have a chapter for 7 strings though.

dorfmeister

Reaction score

The book I am selling now is part 1 of 3.

So when will parts 2 and 3 be released?:shred:

Maniacal

Reaction score
Good question.

I have had to put book 2 on hold due to a house move. I expect it to be released early next year.
Have you finished book 1?

')