Transparent Aluminum is a "New State of Matter"

• Thread starter Trespass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
ScienceDaily (July 27, 2009) — Oxford scientists have created a transparent form of aluminium by bombarding the metal with the world’s most powerful soft X-ray laser. ‘Transparent aluminium’ previously only existed in science fiction, featuring in the movie Star Trek IV, but the real material is an exotic new state of matter with implications for planetary science and nuclear fusion.

The discovery was made possible with the development of a new source of radiation that is ten billion times brighter than any synchrotron in the world (such as the UK’s Diamond Light Source). The FLASH laser, based in Hamburg, Germany, produces extremely brief pulses of soft X-ray light, each of which is more powerful than the output of a power plant that provides electricity to a whole city.

The Oxford team, along with their international colleagues, focused all this power down into a spot with a diameter less than a twentieth of the width of a human hair. At such high intensities the aluminium turned transparent.

Whilst the invisible effect lasted for only an extremely brief period – an estimated 40 femtoseconds – it demonstrates that such an exotic state of matter can be created using very high power X-ray sources.

Professor Wark added: ‘What is particularly remarkable about our experiment is that we have turned ordinary aluminium into this exotic new material in a single step by using this very powerful laser. For a brief period the sample looks and behaves in every way like a new form of matter. In certain respects, the way it reacts is as though we had changed every aluminium atom into silicon: it’s almost as surprising as finding that you can turn lead into gold with light!’

The researchers believe that the new approach is an ideal way to create and study such exotic states of matter and will lead to further work relevant to areas as diverse as planetary science, astrophysics and nuclear fusion power.

A report of the research, ‘Turning solid aluminium transparent by intense soft X-ray photoionization’, is published in Nature Physics. The research was carried out by an international team led by Oxford University scientists Professor Justin Wark, Dr Bob Nagler, Dr Gianluca Gregori, William Murphy, Sam Vinko and Thomas Whitcher.

Transparent aluminium is ?new state of matter? - University of Oxford

Transparent Aluminum Is ‘New State Of Matter’

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Crazy stuff there man! I didn't know you could turn lead into gold.
Whats the use of a new state of matter if it only sustains the form or exists for femtoseconds?

Tiger

Reaction score
My question is, did they do all of this because they are Trek nerds and wanted to make it happen, or is it the means to an end?

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
^^^^Tiger I think you need more sleep or some sex dude. Every post of yours is even more negative than MY posts and my posts are THE most negative things you'll ever read in your life. That said, and to answer your question, here's a quote from the article:

"The researchers believe that the new approach is an ideal way to create and study such exotic states of matter and will lead to further work relevant to areas as diverse as planetary science, astrophysics and nuclear fusion power."

Now to me at least, that means it's the first step that will lead to bigger and better things. Maybe that'll be in 10 years or 100...

orb...........

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
You mean I should be using Vagisil down *there*???? Shit, I've been brushing my teeth with it. My bad.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
My question is, did they do all of this because they are Trek nerds and wanted to make it happen, or is it the means to an end?

Dude, as soon as I saw the words 'transparent aluminumm,' I think it took a nano-second to relive that entire sequence of Star Trek IV.

:flame:

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
You mean I should be using Vagisil down *there*???? Shit, I've been brushing my teeth with it. My bad.

Your just using the wrong brush :cool:

Cool stuff, but seems like we are a long way off from any commercial applications. It is amazing when you see science fiction start to become
reality.

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
A simple use is for transparent electrodes. You can have a metal as a anode, a light emitting material or diode structure, then the cathode. With copper or something you wouldn't see any light because the emitting layer is sandwiched between metal, but with transparent metals you can have the sandwich structure and see the lighting effects. This has potential applications in a whole lot of things, but especially displays (lcd or led displays for example). Indium tin oxide is currently the very popular means to this end.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score

LOL! Quoting Uncle Shirow, "... the science fiction of yesterday is the science fact today..."

A simple use is for transparent electrodes. You can have a metal as a anode, a light emitting material or diode structure, then the cathode. With copper or something you wouldn't see any light because the emitting layer is sandwiched between metal, but with transparent metals you can have the sandwich structure and see the lighting effects. This has potential applications in a whole lot of things, but especially displays (lcd or led displays for example). Indium tin oxide is currently the very popular means to this end.
:agreed:
Some of these newer alloys are fairly interesting, as are some of the newer ceramics that are coming out.

On displays, I have to admit that TOLED and FOLED (when they get a working model) will be an amazing pair of display technologies when they mature a bit more. The former would allow for a set of prescription glasses/visor with a HUD in it, as only a tiny portion of the possibilities with Augmented Reality. The latter one would allow for a flexible Kindle or other such display.

On a tangent relative to computing:
BBC NEWS | Technology | DNA 'organises itself' on silicon Bio-inspired computers are also showing a bit more promise, certainly an easier solution than cirquids (respiration couldn't keep up and they literally died due to toxic build-up or infection).

ddtonfire

Reaction score
It lasted a whole 40 femtoseconds, too!

(4x10^-14 seconds)

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
cool! finaly the one with the whales gets some redemption :lol:

Latest posts

')