Traveling to Paris

• Thread starter Riffer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured I'd post here since me and my wife are going to Paris a month from now. We'll only be there 2 full days, so I don't need much of an itinerary, but anyone got any tips on some affordable accomodation? There's like a million hotels, hostels, airbnb's etc but it's really hard to tell what's actually good value for the money.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend are taking a trip to Paris in late April for 7 days. Its a bucket list trip for her since she is very much into art (she has a bachelors degree in fine art study). I am also excited because I've never been out of the country (USA) and Paris looks so damn nice and historic. I was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks/advice.

- Have you been to Paris before?
- If you live there, what are the do's/don't for tourists?
- What's the best way to get around (Uber, Taxi, Walk, etc)?
- What are the "have to see" things while visiting?
- Are there any cool music stores to visit?
- Will I encounter English speaking people at most places or is it rare?
- Any cultural things we shouldn't do as outsiders? (I've heard tipping after the meal is not normal and disrespectful there.)
- How are people from the US viewed by locals?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some input if any of you have experience traveling to Paris. Thanks!!!
Get your passport early so you don't have to panic about it last minute.

I have not been to Paris, but I have spent time in Canada, Italy, Greece, Latvia, and Hawaii (yes, part of the U.S, but different culturally as well). So recommend not loudly speaking English around non-English speakers as it can make it obvious that you are a tourist.

Learn to say thank you in French, "Bonjour" and use it frequently. Appreciation goes a long way in every language and culture.

In Italy and Greece a few years back, there were some English speakers. I was surprised while in Latvia this summer; in Riga, around half of the people I met spoke at least some English. Paris, being a major city, should have a fair amount of English speakers depending on where in the city you are. If you can learn any simple French before you go, it wouldn't hurt.

Always be respectful in another country. Don't get too drunk. Watch for pickpockets in touristy areas. Have fun and take in the experience!

')