trem arm holder mod

• Thread starter Enigma
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
if any of you have seen the tutorial for modifying your jem or uv trem to accomodate a screw in bar instead of a push in one, over at jemsite:

(http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34038&highlight=tutorial+trem)

i've decided to perform this mod because i really hate the push in bar. Mainly because i keep having to buy new bushings because i use my trem so much, and that the arm holder keeps coming loose.

So... here's my problem:
i've followed all the steps of the tutorial up to inserting the new arm holder from the front of the block and fastening it from the back (ergo i have the old holder removed). However... although the new arm holder fits from the front, however i'm not sure if i'm doing this right because the part of it that extends into the trem cavity is to short to be fastened w/ the other piece and the allen screw (refer to tutorial if you don't know what i mean). I'm thinking of taking it into the shop tomorrow to have my tech finish the mod up for me and bend the bar a little bit upwards (it's not angled like the ibanez trem bars and therefore sits to close to the body). Should i go ahead with this or is there something i'm doing wrong if any of you have done this mod? Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, I know what you mean.
Those trem arms are from Schaller.
They come with 2 different length screws when I get them locally.
Check the first part has screwed in as far as possible. Could something be obstructing it?
Otherwise try a longer screw.

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
^ya it only came with one screw length, and i don't exactly have another allen screw lying around. Suppose i could use a different screw, but then again i still want to get the bar bent up.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Your locking nut bolts may be longer, maybe not, but are the same thread.
Otherwise take the bolt to a nut and bolt shop and get a couple of longer lengths.

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
^thanks for the advice but it'd be easier for me just to take it to my tech i think. Thanks anyway though :wavey:

Digital Black

Reaction score
In my experience-the screw in type ware out as well. The threads aren't as " tight" over time which really leaves you with a problem.
My old RBM10 had a lo trs with a screw in; and I owned a LTD F-200 with the same problem. Lots of jackson's I've played on had real wobbly screw in bars..

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
See, I've always thought the pop in trem bar was one of the strengths of the Ibanez design... I couldn't understand the appeal of this mod, over at Jemsite.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
See, I've always thought the pop in trem bar was one of the strengths of the Ibanez design... I couldn't understand the appeal of this mod, over at Jemsite.

I agree. I prefer this to a screw in bar.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For probably the same reasons - you can pull it out and poke hecklers in the eye with it mid solo...?

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
you can also poke them with the pointy headstock. that should take even less energy than popping out the trem bar :p

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
Leon said:
you can also poke them with the pointy headstock. that should take even less energy than popping out the trem bar :p

i do that when dickin' around at practice. :agreed:

Anyway... So I took it into my tech today, he's gonna mod it up good so it fits perfectly and whatnot and he's gonna bend the bar up for me. Also... i needed the jack replaced so he's doin' that for me as well, god i can't wait to get my UV back :shred: (i get it back monday since his shop is closed tomorrow).

Just out of curiosity, where would I be able to find one of the older UV's (i.e. UV7BK, UV77GR, UV77PWH)? I'm looking to buy another universe and wanted to find one of these since i love my UV so much. Thanks. :yesway:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
yeah, but what about style points? :lol:
ah! good call :yesway:

Enigma said:
Just out of curiosity, where would I be able to find one of the older UV's (i.e. UV7BK, UV77GR, UV77PWH)?
check the Jemsite.com classifieds. they sometimes pop up in the classifieds here too.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Rich Harris is a good source for the older ones, too. I think he currently has a PWH in stock. You'll pay dealer price, not private seller price, but then again you get dealer service, not private seller service.

')