Tremol-No vs. Brass Big Block on sustain

• Thread starter The 1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The 1

Reaction score
I've been looking at these FloydUpgrades Brass Big Blocks for an Ibanez Lo-Pro and Lo-Pro 7. I've searched around and have found really mixed comments.

Some people say it does what it claims, some say it just makes the tone sound warmer, and some say no noticeable difference.

Since on the Lo-Pro's, the strings wouldn't actually be in contact with the block, would there still be an increase in sustain?

I have a Tremol-No installed on another guitar, and I've noticed a slight improvement on sustain when fully locked. Would the difference caused by the brass block be to about a similar degree?

TL;DR Do brass big blocks do much for sustain? or just for tone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chili

Reaction score
I installed one of the FloydUpgrades blocks on a Schecter with a Floyd Rose Special (which has zinc block and saddles). As far as I can tell it added a little bit of sustain and made it sound a little warmer and "bigger". It was not a dramatic difference, more a slight improvement IMHO.

Steve_U1S

Reaction score
Any additional solid mass like that on a bridge - including a floating one - is a good thing when it comes to leaving more energy in the strings.
Net result; more audible sustain.

... having said that, the Tremol No, locked down, is quite a dramatic change/improvement in those characteristics as well.
Even dive-only is quite good.

AbsentCurtis

Avoiding work
Reaction score
I recently upgraded the Floyd Special on my Agile Hawker 7 with a brass block and a Tremol-no. Before, the tone was a little thin for my tastes and while I'm still not happy with the pickups themselves (the Cephus pickups are a little fizzy on clean settings) , I am getting a fuller sound. The driven tones are much better than they used to be. This thing also sustains for days now, although I'm not sure which upgrade contributed to that the most since I did them both at the same time.

Azathoth43

ל ו ו י י ת ן
Reaction score
I took the Tremol-No off the guitar I put a Big Block on. I did notice a slight improvement to sustain, but the Big Block darkened the tone a good bit. Not sure if I like that.

')