Tried quad-tracking, here's the results!

• Thread starter spadz93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
When you guys say quad-tracked, are you recording a master track, and then meticulously and separately recording three additional tracks to "layer" on top of the master track?

Or are you recording one track, copying it in the software, pasting it three more times, and then altering the timing of each track slightly to give a fuller sound?

Also, track sounds killer. I like it.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
2 tracks left, 2 tracks right which is referred to as double tracked. I assume by 'quad tracked' he means he has 4 left and 4 right. For the best results, each track soul be recorded individually.

daniel_95

Reaction score
When you guys say quad-tracked, are you recording a master track, and then meticulously and separately recording three additional tracks to "layer" on top of the master track?

Or are you recording one track, copying it in the software, pasting it three more times, and then altering the timing of each track slightly to give a fuller sound?

Also, track sounds killer. I like it.

Recording tracks and panning them differently, like two tracks 100% left and right, and the other two 75 or 50%.

Camer138

Reaction score
sounds wicked! gives me confidence that quad tracking fast parts wont be too big of a problem for our album

smoogle510

Reaction score
2 tracks left and 2 tracks right is quad tracking. Double tracking is just one left and one right...

spadz93

Reaction score
my definition of quad tracking is 2 guitar tracks panned hard left and hard right (100%) and then two other guitar tracks recorded (with different tone settings) about 25-40% left and right respectively. all guitar tracks were recorded individually, and no two guitars sound alike. the only thing im noticing in this mix after a few listens is the bass is a wee bit heavy so once i bring that down the guitars will really be there. thanks for the positive feedback everyone!! glad you all like it, go check out my band in my sig and give us a like! ive since gotten better at mixing/mastering and we're gonna be releasing a single soon that should sound this tasty and might even include this riff haha

heilarkyguitar

Brown note
Reaction score
The track sounds sic.
I think we a simple definition for Quad Tracking before we have another Djent on our hands...lol

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
2 tracks left, 2 tracks right which is referred to as double tracked. I assume by 'quad tracked' he means he has 4 left and 4 right. For the best results, each track soul be recorded individually.

That isn't quad tracking, but I bet it'd be pretty brutal ;)

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score

Uhhh, quad tracking usually implies quad tracks...("quad" meaning 4). 4 left and 4 right honestly sounds kinda retarded, unless half of them are copy/pasted and parallel compressed or something similar.

But about 99% of the time, at MOST, you're gonna want it quad tracked (4 different tracks, 2 left and 2 right).

HoKrll

Reaction score
sounds badass. reminds me of In Flames in the Reroute to Remain era.
What amp you using if you don't mind me asking?

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Yeah - let's all get it sorted. Quad tracking is 2 left, 2 right. Pan them whichever way you want, but that's how it is.

I think that your guitars sound huge, but now the bass just isn't punching enough to keep up with them, so it sounds a little weak to me.

I've done quad tracking, but now I'm pretty much settling on double tracking and having a center guitar for extra "oom-pah" when I need it. But if you can nail the sound you're after, then it's all good.

spadz93

Reaction score
sounds badass. reminds me of In Flames in the Reroute to Remain era.
What amp you using if you don't mind me asking?

thanks man, i was using a digitech gsp1101 modeling a 5150 on the left and a dual rec on the right using diff cab impulses

I'm really glad it worked out for you, with my Engl it really needs a quad track to get the beef, it's so tight.

100L 75L 75R 100R (Four tracks)..

my middle tracks are only panned about 40L/R, ill have to try that and see how it turns out

Yeah - let's all get it sorted. Quad tracking is 2 left, 2 right. Pan them whichever way you want, but that's how it is.

I think that your guitars sound huge, but now the bass just isn't punching enough to keep up with them, so it sounds a little weak to me.

I've done quad tracking, but now I'm pretty much settling on double tracking and having a center guitar for extra "oom-pah" when I need it. But if you can nail the sound you're after, then it's all good.

im trying to find the good balance between too much bass and too little. i dont own a bass so im stuck programming it inside logic 9. have any tips?

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Well, nothing is going to replace a real bass - if you have some spare cash I'd check out Trillian - I've heard some really good mixes with that bass plug-in. Some guys get around with Zombass as well, but ultimately you really need a bass to fill in all that good stuff.

Ultimately, it's about EQ-ing your bass properly to make sure it fits into the mix and lends the power and body that fills in the harmonic part of the rhythm section. A lot of guys split their bass signal into 2-3 different tracks. One supplies the lows (Low pass 200-400 Hz), one supplies either a clean or gritty mid (around 300-4000 Hz or so depending upon taste), and depending upon need, a distorted track can help things push through. Then you send all those to a bus and automate the crap out of everything. Good luck though! Bass is one of the hardest things to get right in a mix, and it is, along with the drums, the beating heart of your mix.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I come from the school of thought that you a track on the left and track on the right. People have always asked to 'double track' referring to doubling their part. It's not double tracking if they're two different parts or sides. It's clearly not how you guys all refer to it, but 'double tracking' in you guys' definition is a given, everyone I've dealt with n recorded with or recorded as referred to it on a side-by-side basis. I can see logic on either side, as long as everyone's using the words the same way.

Interesting what I refer to as double tracking (2 a side of the same thing, rather than one, you guys call quad) is genuinely all I've ever heard it referred to as :lol:

There ya go! Thought it sounded a little excessive (the title).

Latest posts

')