Tried quad-tracking, here's the results!

• Thread starter spadz93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
thanks man, i was using a digitech gsp1101 modeling a 5150 on the left and a dual rec on the right using diff cab impulses

my middle tracks are only panned about 40L/R, ill have to try that and see how it turns out

im trying to find the good balance between too much bass and too little. i dont own a bass so im stuck programming it inside logic 9. have any tips?

Experiment with it, sometimes if you have quite a bit of stereo (Tracks) synths etc.. I try to take them away from the outer borders like 100L 100R.. Change them to 90 70 90 70 maybe? All depends on the track, too close to the centre it will be more mono field and frequency clumped, sure it has to work in mono for variable media etc.. But most people will listen in some sort of stereo so I try to make plenty of space to let the mix breathe whilst still being mono compliant.

Also try splitting the bass tracks LPF / HPF and distorting.. I think there's a tutorial by Ola hanging about somewhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spadz93

Reaction score
Experiment with it, sometimes if you have quite a bit of stereo (Tracks) synths etc.. I try to take them away from the outer borders like 100L 100R.. Change them to 90 70 90 70 maybe? All depends on the track, too close to the centre it will be more mono field and frequency clumped, sure it has to work in mono for variable media etc.. But most people will listen in some sort of stereo so I try to make plenty of space to let the mix breathe whilst still being mono compliant.

Also try splitting the bass tracks LPF / HPF and distorting.. I think there's a tutorial by Ola hanging about somewhere.

Ill look into the tutorial, as well as some better bass plug-ins. im sure i'll get it right soon

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^I used to, I just sorted out my lag and suddenly it worked!

This does sound really good though, nice and wide.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
For the guys that are regularly quad tracking(2 left, 2 right), how do you approach 2 guitar bands? Is each player doing 2 per side? 2 per side, per unique part? Each guitarist does 1 per side for a total of 2 per side?

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Yeah - let's all get it sorted. Quad tracking is 2 left, 2 right. Pan them whichever way you want, but that's how it is.

I think that your guitars sound huge, but now the bass just isn't punching enough to keep up with them, so it sounds a little weak to me.

I've done quad tracking, but now I'm pretty much settling on double tracking and having a center guitar for extra "oom-pah" when I need it. But if you can nail the sound you're after, then it's all good.

How do you approach mixing the 3rd middle track in to avoid competition with kick, snare and bass?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
In an ideal world kick and snare shouldn't be in the centre either. Especially in metal when you have a double kick, I feel it's better to represent them as they are in the drumkit: a bit apart from each other. Also helps avoid the machinegun effect

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
When I do place a guitar front and center, I usually set it way back in the mix. I don't want it there necessarily just to add more guitar, but to add presence to the mix. Sometimes I'll quad track too. It just depends on what is totally necessary for me to do. Or maybe a little tiny bit of stereo width is added to give it a bit more girth.

Latest posts

')