Trivium - new song (In Waves)

• Thread starter Murmel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I have to say I am fairly impressed - the Crusade was meh, just demonstrated how good they'd gotten at guitar - Shogun was cool, cause they did some 7 string stuff, and the themes were cool...this is pretty catchy, reminiscent of Ascendancy, which is when I got into them some 5 years ago back when they were just getting onto the scene. Can't wait to hear more from them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew1709

Reaction score
After hearing their song for the God of War soundtrack, I got excited for their new stuff.

This song got me unexcited for it. Its kinda bland and generic.

Agreed. Trivium is one of my favorite bands and Shogun is one of my favorite albums. I always felt like they strived for a certain flamboyance (for lack of a better term) and epic-ness in their music without the corniness that often accompanies those traits....and this does sound a little generic and lazy to me. I don't think that the syncopated breakdown sounding riff is very Trivium. Perhaps it's due, in part, to the new drummer...I always thought Travis's style fit the band perfectly and it's a shame he left the band. Maybe I just need to give it a couple more listens for it to grow on me...

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I found it boring. Maybe it's cause I'm just not into them anymore.

geofreesun

Reaction score
i was pretty excited hearing this, then after a few listens i started to get bored. it lacks the flow they had with ascendancy. the intro is nothing novel, the solos are kinda generic. that being said, i don't think anything they put out will top ascendancy, at least to me.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
I'm not diggin it. I only like Trivium on the Crusade and Shogun albums. I kinda had hope in them going that route and became one of the few metalcore bands I like. But seems like they are going back to their ascendancy type sound, and I never liked that era at all, but it still had moments that were pretty good. This is just generic modern metalcore imo

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not bad, its just... Meh. A few good ideas but after a bit it draaaags.
I'll put myself in the 'Shogun is where they found their soubd' camp.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Really really like this track even though it seems to not be as fluid as their past songs from Shogun and Ascendency. However, Matt's voice is still amazing and I am definitely excited to hear what they have to bring out. I definitely think that the album will exceed my expectations, but only time can tell that.

TheSilentWater

is a nerd.
Reaction score
I REALLY want to like this, I'm a fan of all their previous work, but this seems like a step back to me. It just doesn't feel like it goes anywhere, you get 2 minutes in and it still feels like you haven't gotten out of the intro. Needs more direction and purpose to it. Shattering was great, we can only hope for more songs as good as that on this release.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
I wanna know where the whole "metalcore" thing comes from. This didn't sound metalcore to me at all. The rhythm had a nice groove to it, there was some cool lead parts, the solo was NICE not shredtastic but it was tasteful enough and it pleased my ears. Good vocals. I guess things are metalcore just cause they have a nice groove to em that you can nod along with. who knew.

jamsea

Reaction score
Thought it was pretty good when I listened to it at my girlfriend's house this afternoon. But I came back home tonight and have listened to it 10x in a row. :p Took a listen or two for it to grow on me but now I'm really digging it.

Trivium was the reason I started to play guitar so I'm super excited to hear their new album :)

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I definitely dig the track. I have liked all their albums except for "The Crusade", I just couldn't stand the vocal style on that one. I'm sure that the new album will be good, and i doubt they lost their flow, maybe some of the other songs will showcase that.

Thrace

Reaction score
Love the new track, Trivium gained my respect again when they shrugged off their bumming of Metallica phase on The Crusade haha.

Around where I live no one seems to appreciate how good of an album Shogun was, the solo on Of Prometheus and the Crucifix is insane.

Very talented band considering how young they are aswell, can't wait for the new album!

VILARIKA

Reaction score
I can barely hear the bass in the mix, maybe its just me? but I can't help but think the next song they release will destroy this one, this is sorta average. Still excited for some new Trivium :hbang:

prh

Plini
Reaction score
4:15, best riff ever.

i could listen to that shit all day alone in my bedroom while fist pumping and not get bored

')