Tron: Legacy

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Tron bitches. Anyone see it this weekend???? Any desire to? I'm a fan of the original. I was obsessed with it when it came out waaaaaaaay back before most of you fuckers were even born :lol:

This new one was kind of meh. Not horrible, but certainly not as good as I was hoping.

Visually I thought it was pretty neat, the 3D wasn't all that necessary though, didn't really *add* to the story much if at all.

Overall I'd give it 2 & 1/2 stars out of 5.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5; exactly what I expected from what I usually refer to as a 'popcorn flick'.

Saw it on Friday. Our company's CFO offered to take any interested employees to see it on company time AND on company dime. NO WAY I was gonna pass that up!

I actually never much cared for the original as a film. As a concept, sure, I'm a nerd and I'm all over anything that puts humans inside the digital world. I just kinda think the film was -- while ahead of it's time -- still well short of the mark it was aiming for and surprisingly slow paced. **Just my opinion, of course**

Anyway, I thought Tron: Legacy was a vast improvement. Pretty well paced, some great action sequences, and a few choice Lebowski-esque lines from Jeff *edit* Bridges for the win. Plus, Olivia Wilde was incredibly cute and I actually appreciated that they made her character more of an innocent than an overtly sexual type which would have been a little out of place, although the obvious/common/popular thing to do.

It did enough that I actually wanted to experience the world they created first hand, and that's all this kind of movie really has to do to be a success with me. Same reason Avatar worked, for me. I wanna go check out Pandora, and I wanna go check out the Grid, not to mention spend some time in Middle Earth or the Matrix. ;)

I thought the effects for KLU (the younger of the 2 Jeff Daniels characters) were a little wonky, though. Whenever they did a close up of his face and he spoke, the mouth movements just looked... Weird. Constrained is maybe a good word for it.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Curious to see it but I haaate going to the theater these days. In my area there are too many douchebags that talk during the movie, get their cellphone calls, etc. I may come across as an old man but at 36 I so much prefer watching movies at home in hi-def on my 52" Samsung LCD where I can drink beer and eat what I want as well as pause the shit when I gotta leak LOL. So I usually wait till the bluray is out unless it's an absolute critical must see movie. I don't even do shitty cam downloads either.

Rev.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
LMAO @ Syn's comment "Jeff Daniels". It's Jeff Bridges :lol::lol::lol: Jeff Daniels was in Arachnophobia (among many other things) but I love him best as Harry in Dumb & Dumber.

I agree though, the close-up work for him when he spoke was definitely strange. I mean I understand the constraints they were under and everything, and it's *pretty* close, but was more of a distraction for me.

@ Rev, I couldn't agree more, and you're not alone in that regard. The audience in Tron was pretty well behaved. Went to see The Fighter last night (awesome movie btw) and the audience was terrible. People talking, on the phone, texting, etc. I mean everyone laughs at the Notebook parody at the beginning, yet few "get it" and still talk/text/etc anyway.

Fucking noobs.

I try to avoid the theatre at all costs, but there was no way around these two movies this weekend...

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I fucking loved it. Olivia Wilde was scorching hot. :yum:

I want to rent the original and watch it again, been a long time!

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
It was a pretty cool movie I guess.
My main focus was on Olivia Wilde. I'd mount that ISO.

And that blonde chick.
Fuck. She's hot.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I plan to see it wednesday, but do not expect much. The acting and scripting in the original was awful ,but the graphics were cool and it was a neat idea. So I am going to see cool graphics. Couldn't care less which actress is in it, most of them I find rather booring.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I am SO looking forward to this....Tron was one of my favourite movies when i was younger, and i still love it. I hope they dont ruin it with the new one.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Dang, 2.5 or 3 stars? I was hoping it would be really good. I loved the original, and I had high hopes for this one. This kind of came out of the blue for me, too, because I've been reading about all of The Avengers stuff for a while, but I had no idea this was in the works until like 6 months ago.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Well, 3 outta 5 is a pretty solid rating for me. It's what most good movies get. I'm too used to the Netflix star system.

A movie's gotta be pretty effing special to me to get a 4, and it basically has to be one of my 'absolute favorites of all time' to get a 5.

Also, this rating system doesn't allow half-stars. ;)

It's definitely worth a viewing, in it's full glory on the big theater screen with big theater sound. :yesway:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't finish the first film as it was horrendous. Hopefully the awesome graphics can entertain me this time around.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i just came back from watching it...my bottom line :

1 - history is dull and lame :noway::noway:
2 - CGI is ok but nothing amazing :nono:
3 - i can't really think of anything else to say about it :scratch:

It is made by Disney..says it all..save your $$, wait until it goes on itunes...:realmad::realmad::realmad:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I enjoyed this one, a lot better than stuff I have seen this year (Inception aside). I did make it through the first one (which was pretty bad). I would agree with the 3/5 star, solid film, nothing exceptional. Maybe 3.5.

I liked how they filmed 'real world' in 2d but did 3-d for the grid. That was a nice touch. It was also the first film in 3-d where I felt that it did not detract from the film, or make it very hard to follow action (looking at you clash of the titans, and yes I had to watch it..)

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
I'd mount that ISO.
Owl_I_see_what_you_did.jpg

:yesway:

I personally quite liked it. 4/5 maybe. Ive seen it a few times. Working at a movie theater, I see just about every movie worth watching multiple times. Just say The Rite and No Strings Attached for the 3rd time each. Avatar 10 times.

The story Id give a 3/5
Acting a 3/5
Effects a 4/5
Olivia Wilde AND Jeff Bridges? 5/5

thats 4/5 :D

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
The fuck?!

Not to derail this thread a huge amount, but you guys don't go out to the lobby and ask for your money back at the point where they don't toss people for using their phones and texting? I do!

Basically, if a theater won't get rid of those who take away from my being able to watch, or who make me miss part of the movie because I have to walk out to get help, then I'll take my money elsewhere. I've had them tell me that they couldn't refund my money but could give me a pass to another night... but if they wouldn't stop people from being idiots in the first place, why should I come back to have it happen again?

That's the great thing about using a credit card, of course. *laugh*

----

It was a little distracting watching the Grid Lebowski be the dude, but I was able to overlook that aspect of the movie due to two others...

images

*laugh*

Skyblue

Reaction score
I haven't seen the original (too young I guess?) but I enjoyed it, being a nerdy guy.
Wasn't anything amazing plot wise or script wise, but effects were cool, plot was reasonably solid, and hey, Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde? Yes please.