Trouble recording direct with RP 1000

• Thread starter BaylorPRSer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
I have a Digitech RP1000 and when I record USB direct, most of the tones sound pretty cool, but I've been trying to get metal and djent tones to sound good and i can't get any sort of cutting edge to the crunch or eliminate the fizz. Part of it may have to do with the fact that my monster cables got stolen and i'm using the digitech cable the processor came with, but if you have any suggestions for recording high gain or djent direct, I'm all ears. Also, if there are any other fx units or devices that you guys have had luck with recording metal tones direct let me know, I may sell this thing even though it does have a lot going for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devastone

Reaction score
USB is digital data, there won't be any difference between a generic USB cable and an overpriced Monster USB cable.

As far as good tones, I used to use a RP1000 to run direct and for some recording. I got some good tones out of it, but I was never 100% satisfied, they always sounded/felt digital to me. Some of the best metal tones (IMHO) are from the Digitech models, not the "standard" amp models.

That said, I picked up an AMT SS-20 and am using a few standard pedals and have much better direct tones now using the cab emulated output. The regular out sounds great into a power amp and cab too. Depending on the tones you are looking for, you might need to bump the AMT with a od pedal, but it responds very amp-like. I would definitely recommend checking out the AMT pedals, I'm very impressed so far, and have not missed my RP at all.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
i just looked it up and it def sounds like something i'd be interested in. So to be clear, your recording setup is nothing more than the guitar to amt connected to the pc via usb or do you have some other pedals in the chain depending on what your going for? With a power amp and a cab what supplemental pedals do you suggest for a live rig?

devastone

Reaction score
No USB on the AMTs, you will need an interface of some kind. The AMTs are analog only.

For pedals, I have a tuner, Crybaby, Phase 45, MXR Micro Flanger, and a TC Corona chorus and a Digidelay in the loop of the AMT. Basically my whole rig on my pedalboard. For a power amp I have a Stewart 1/2 space 50W amp and a 1-12 Freda cabinet.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
2 questions: For a djent style recording direct would I need to supplement it with an overdrive pedal? Also, can the RP 1000 works as an interface? I was thinking it might work if I just put it on bypass but i suppose it might delay the guitar output.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
i downloaded impulses from one of his links but i have no clue what these things are. what are impulses and how do i use them to improve my guitar recordings when recording direct?

Ckackley

Reaction score
I record direct with an RP500 all the time. However I DON'T use the USB. The best way to go is to run the outs through some sort of interface. I use a Tascam US-122L. That way you're getting the exact tones you would here if you were running into an amp or a PA. I've tried a bunch of direct from the processor USB's and they all seem to color the tone when compared to the actual outs on the unit.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I have an RP500 right now and the best steps for me to follow to get a good recording are as follows.

#1 - Do not use the RP500/1000 as the interface. Latency is too high and whenever I try to go lower it crashes for me. There is a difference in tone because you're going through another cable which will most likely reduce some highs, and most likely it will be for the better.

#2 - Do not use the stock cabinet sims. For metal they suck compared to IRs (impulse responses), they really do. I'm perfectly fine with using the stock cab sims if I had to but you can do better pretty easily for free.

#3 - Use impulse responses. In simple terms, these are cab sims. It took me forever to wrap my head around it but now I finally understand and am reaping the benefits of said understanding. :lol:

Download Poulin LeCab to load the IRs. It's a VST which you can open in most recording programs such as Kristal or Reaper.

#4 - Make sure the output switch on the back of the RP500/1000 is set to AMP OUT instead of MIX OUT. I just found out this week the remarkable difference that this makes. epic fail on my part for not noticing earlier

#5 - Have fun. :wavey:

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
to turn off cab sims, do you put it on direct under cab selection? or is there an actual on and off switch i can't find cuz the on/off i know of disables the cab AND the amp

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
to turn off cab sims, do you put it on direct under cab selection? or is there an actual on and off switch i can't find cuz the on/off i know of disables the cab AND the amp

Yeah switch it to "DIRECT" under the cab selection list/menu. I have to make separate patches for recording because of this. + I needed to anyways because you usually should bring the gain down some when recording.

EDIT: And don't forget that switch on the back! Make sure when your record with impulses that it is sticking out. That's the "AMP OUT" setting.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
as a brand new member I just wanted to say that the help here has been excellent so far and you guys have given me a lot to think about as far as recording tactics and upcoming gear purchases. Thanks.

Is there a tutorial for the Le Poulin Cab?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
as a brand new member I just wanted to say that the help here has been excellent so far and you guys have given me a lot to think about as far as recording tactics and upcoming gear purchases. Thanks.

Is there a tutorial for the Le Poulin Cab?
YouTube it? It's pretty simple. If you can't find anything I'll look. It's just that I
m busy making some RP500 presets for another dude at the moment. :D

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find much that explains what I want. It is pretty simple as far as loading the impulses. Honestly I don't know how to choose which ones I want or how many I should be loading. There are a lot of slots. I have a folder of them that says guitarhack jj powertube impulses another that says louder impulses another, multiple fredman impulses, original 3 impulses, and single fredman style and sneap edge. idk which are the ones that give me the sound i want and if i should be mixing and matching impulses within a given preset . . . im a nub.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find much that explains what I want. It is pretty simple as far as loading the impulses. Honestly I don't know how to choose which ones I want or how many I should be loading. There are a lot of slots. I have a folder of them that says guitarhack jj powertube impulses another that says louder impulses another, multiple fredman impulses, original 3 impulses, and single fredman style and sneap edge. idk which are the ones that give me the sound i want and if i should be mixing and matching impulses within a given preset . . . im a nub.

I'm really new at impulses myself. :D
I would use something like Centre-1 or Centre 45-1 from the regular JJ Powertubes Impulses

You can load one (which is what I do) or you can load multiple slots and combine them for different tones. You have to lower the volume if you load multiple IRs though cause it adds volume each time you add an impulse. I haven't messed around too much with combining because I've been so happy with the tone from just using one.

DOWNLOAD THIS COLLECTION OF IRS
I use the savage-V30_dc.wav that's in the main folder (not a subfolder) and it's my favorite with GuitarHacks being next probably. There are a lot of free IRs that kick butt. This collection above here includes GuitarHacks and the Sperimental ones (subfolder marked with an "[SP]") The Sperimental Mesa Trad IRs are nice.

Here's some more I liked...
Burny Mesa OS 6505 HR.rar - Speedy Share - upload your files here

For some reason I didn't really like the God's Cab IRs.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
')